No Fuel!!! Replaced Driver Module, Fuel Pump and Relay gives power...STUMPED

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Bill Towne
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Fuel!!! Replaced Driver Module, Fuel Pump and Relay gives power...STUMPED

New here so bare with me...

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition. Today, it started sputtering and quit on me as I pulled into a driveway. It wouldn't start for a second, then fired up but "petered out" and died. I eventually got it to run and parked it in the lot. It would keep turning over but the fuel pump was definitely intermittently engaging (and had an awful high pitched noise to it as if you were trying to drill 1/4" steel with a dry and dull 3/8 drill bit).
It started again and ran fine for about 5 miles and acted up again. I went in to my classes and came out throughout the remainder of my time there and it would not start. (No fuel pump again). At the end of the day, it started and ran fine for the 38 mile ride home.
I had replaced the Fuel Pump Control Module more than a year ago when It died then (it definitely needed it, but turned out to be the fuel pump), ran fine since. I assumed, with the noise, the fuel pump from good ol' Advanced Auto was crapping out. They gave me one to swap. Ran great for 5 minutes but stalled again with a no start and couldn't get it to start again. I went back and got another Fuel Pump Control module.
STILL NO START!

Here's what I have so far
Replaced Fuel Pump AND Fuel Pump Driver Module....Still same condition exists with no power to the fuel pump.
I had accessed the fuse panel and checked the DG/y wire coming out of connector C270k for the inboard fuel pump relay, it does have power when key is on, along with the DG wire next to it.
Checked the inertia switch, power to the DG/y wire there, bypassed inertia switch to eliminate that as a potential issue by jumping the white wire with the DG/y, same symptoms of no power to the fuel pump.

I did Initially get a code during this for the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (I never thought to capture the code for I assumed it was a result of a failing driver module at the time) and also for the Fuel Pump Driver Module prior to replacing the fuel pump and the module.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to where else to check? I have to test some more tomorrow, I need to see if the module is getting ground.....my spare tire mechanism is seized so working around the tire is a (quite the explicit). Does anyone know where this ground is located on the vehicle? What sensor would not allow the PCM to engage the Driver module? Would a faulty fuel rail pressure sensor fool the PCM to thinking it had adequate pressure and not allow a signal to the control module?

Old 01-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Did you check the fuel filter? Just a thought.