2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

To Fix or not to fix, that is the question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 07:28 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, the olde fix or sell, eh? I seem to be always in that dilemma with my vehicles. I usually just use a calculator a lot, doing my best to figure out how to keep the most money in me own pocket. My outcome varies.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 PM
elemint
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get it. You guys have multi thousand dollar repairs needed on close to new imo vehicles and you think the solution is to buy another of the same vehicle??? I though I was dumb buying a Ford a second chance ever 1.5 decades to see if they are reliable yet.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:04 PM
foozlemonster
Senior User
I think part of the delimma is the fact that the problem was supposedly fixed in newer models. All vehicles have problems. You just gotta decide which ones you are willing to deal with. I usually just use repairs as an excuse to buy a new one.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
I know this is about fixing your '11 F150 and I also saw some comments about '15s being on a good deal right now... I have seen '16s for just as much as '15s I got a F150 platinum with everything (I don't think its FX4) for $63k before it has even been delivered to the dealer yet (its still in freight).

I have a '14 F150 that's having some weird issues, like loss of power steering while backing a trailer, unusual rotor/brake wear/issues (rotors are warped BAD, but I had them inspected 4,000 miles ago so there were no signs of that happening and they were within tolerances).

I am trading the '14 for the '16 (I was trying to get a '15 but they couldn't find what I was looking for) I am hoping the '16 will last longer than my '14 (yes I know its under warranty and the calipers are covered, but the rotors and brakes are not) with the trade up I got an extended warranty on top of that with a maintenance package that pays for everything except for tires, batteries and gasoline; I couldn't be happier... by the time I pay to have brakes/rotors turned at 50,000 miles (not at 18k (that's when I started to notice significant braking vibration)) the maintenance plan will have paid for itself, oil changes, filters, brakes, fuel filter, whatever! This truck better last me until 2021 and be paid off by then.

Anyway I am not a fan of buying used anymore... not when I can get factory HID or LED installed that doesn't blow up for some reason (aftermarket) and I don't have the shop whining to me about how they're out of warranty and having to deal with repair problems when buying used at least I can give my truck to my mom or other family when its paid off and I am also not a fan of silly warranty issues they can't figure out (like loss of power steering while backing a trailer? Nobody knows!).

Old 02-08-2016, 04:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,220 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm hoping the OP will swing back by and close the loop on his experience.

Old 02-09-2016, 05:05 PM
GuyGene
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm hoping the OP will swing back by and close the loop on his experience.
Me too, Tim. And, elemint, I'm still in my '02. I don't move fast. I got shed of a Chevy because of problems it kept having ('96) for my F150. I've had this one since '08, longer than the original owner, who traded it at 47,000 miles when I bought it. So, I've done a lot better than that old boy. I've put over 92,000 miles on it, he only put 47,000 on it, and I paid about 60% of what he paid. Anyway, hey, I want a new truck one time before I cross over...

Oh, and even though I like F150, if I could figure a better truck, I'd change brands in a New York City second.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 AM
mjmck
Senior User
OP, that sucks they wouldnt help you out. My old F150 was a 5.0L for simplicity reasons.

I unfortunately cant afford the ridiculous pricing of new trucks these days. So I am doomed into someone elses' issues (Buying Used). I travel a lot, so i still need a reliable vehicle. That means I still need to go through a dealer and spend some money. Seems like there are trucks under $10K and they are all rot boxes here in the NE, over $20K usually gets you a much more reliable truck.

I got my 09 F250 a few months ago and have been plagued with issues since buying. Calipers locked up, EVAP Canister Failure, Ball Joints needing replacement, now a large manifold leak. Bought it in PA and there isn't a requirement to sell a vehicle with warranty.

I started fighting with the dealer on these and i was screwed because of no warranty. The dealer harped they put over $800 into the brake system and maintenance items, but honestly I didnt care with these new issues totaling over $3K (Dealer Pricing) that i had to foot out on a vehicle i just bought!

Moral of the story, the dealer could sell a lemon or vehicle with issues, and as long as they are hidden long enough the new buyer is screwed...The one GOOD thing about NYS, Dealers are required to sell with 30 day warranties.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Sorry I haven't been paying attention to the thread. I am still driving the truck with the timing issues. Today I actually had the drive shaft slip out of the carrier bearing. A local shop fixed it for $30, said the sleeve slipped out so he removed the drive shaft and stuck it back in.

Ironically, I am going to look at a new truck on Saturday. I am going to trade it in as is with the CEL light on unless they really bone me on the trade. I am looking at a 2016 Lariat Crewcab long box. The dealer has some good discounts so Im going to take a look.

The way I look at it, if I am making payments and need to make thousands of dollars in repairs I can make about the same payment on a new truck and it will be under warranty.

Mark

Old 02-19-2016, 04:35 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback Mark. I wish you great hunting on your new truck. To be honest, I'm shocked yet impressed that you're looking another Ford.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM
n2umr
Senior User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Thanks for the feedback Mark. I wish you great hunting on your new truck. To be honest, I'm shocked yet impressed that you're looking another Ford.
My reputation would be tarnished and my father and father-in-law would disown me if I drove anything other than a Ford. To be honest I have never owned anything but a Ford or a Lincoln. Some of my friends who were Ford people ventured out to other brands and they all came back to Ford, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Like I've said before, this has been a good truck up until the last month. I know that these things shouldn't happen to a 5 year old truck but as an engineer I guess I have some sympathy towards vehicles and equipment, or maybe I'm just stupid who knows.

Mark

Old 02-21-2016, 05:04 PM
n2umr
Senior User
SO here it is, my new ride. It's a 2016 Lariat Crewcab 4x4, ruby red with black leather, 3.5 eco w/3.31 rear elocker. Sticker was 55,020, dealer price was 46,999, they gave me 23,000 for my 2011 with the CEL on so I was pleased as I only owed 10,000 on it.

Mark

Old 02-21-2016, 05:45 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Wow, that is a sharp looking truck.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
That's a pretty one! Thanks for the pics!

Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice 2016.....

Old 02-22-2016, 01:19 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
Very nice! I see you got the same "all terrain" tires with you FX4 that I got.

Quick Reply: To Fix or not to fix, that is the question..