1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

1957 Restomod

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 07:19 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
1957 Restomod

Well I've been wanting to do another project and really like the 57 trucks so I found this guy in a farmers field, it took me about a year to finally acquire it. I could only tell it was a 57 by the grill, as it was about 300m from the road. Turns out the gentleman has passed away and this was part of his estate and for sale. When I finally got to go and see it close up I found that it was a Mercury M250 with a V-8 4spd and 4.56 rear gear, I was excited that it was a Mercury as I always thought the Mercury line was cool.

It is a 5 year build if I take my time. I also plan on doing this as a budget build so I will be making lots of trips to pick n pull to make it feasible.

Attached Images       
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-18-2016, 07:27 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

My plans are Crown Vic front cross member, Cougar IRS, Mustang 4.6L 3V with a 5 speed stick.

I found a 2006 Mustang engine and tranny with 15,000KM on it which I will swap in with the Ford racing control pack.

My plan is once the snow melts is to get the sheet metal stripped off the frame and start to install the IFS & IRS setups then the motor and tranny in place for mock up then paint everything. Then next winter I will start on sheet metal repair and get the body into shape. I will need to purchase some replacement panels to make this happen, as the floors and fenders are a bit rough.

D

Attached Images       
Old 01-19-2016, 07:59 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I want to see this build.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There were less than 11,000 manufactured of the '57 M-Series Trucks.
So you take away that the majority were M-100s.
Which leaves you w/ about an 1/8 of them being M-250s & M-350s.
And that means they are Worth 10 times the amount that a standard F-Series trucks.
That would give me pause about what to do w/ an M-250.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:26 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Col Flashman
There were less than 11,000 manufactured of the '57 M-Series Trucks.
So you take away that the majority were M-100s.
Which leaves you w/ about an 1/8 of them being M-250s & M-350s.
And that means they are Worth 10 times the amount that a standard F-Series trucks.
That would give me pause about what to do w/ an M-250.
I hear what you are saying but this truck is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Unfortunately I'm not an original restoration guy, if I could get my hands on a Model A it would be a hot rod pretty quick.

Thanks for the info that's good to know.

D

Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM
okiebird
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like your thinking, I also appreciate a nice restored stock truck but on the other hand I like a truck I can drive daily and still use with some modern updates.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:55 AM
307-Niner
Junior User
I'm doing something similar with my '57 F100. I hope to get started on the frame & suspension mods this summer. I'll be following your thread!

Old 03-01-2016, 10:17 PM
tyleremt1
New User
For all that are using the Crown Vic front end I have some information for you. I placed one in my 57, and have learned more than I ever wanted to. First, to properly adjust the camber, you will need to purchase special bolts and slightly modify the bolt hole. There is a great video on this located here
Another issue is that every photo I have seen of this mount has the torsion bar mounts at the 90 degree position. This is not how they should be mounted. In order to adjust the alignment (camber) you need these to be mounted at the 45 degree angle, which is where they are mounted in the actual crown vic.

These lessons have come from personal experience. I don't know about you, but after spending money on wheels and tires, new brakes, etc. I would hate to have to buy new tires every few months just because the alignment is off. I mean are we not putting new components under these trucks for a reason?

To see the angle at which you should properly mount the plate on the torsion bar, take off the back nut, this will reveal a slotted bushing which is necessary to be at the 90 degree angle in order for it to adjust with the camber.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:18 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by tyleremt1
For all that are using the Crown Vic front end I have some information for you. I placed one in my 57, and have learned more than I ever wanted to. First, to properly adjust the camber, you will need to purchase special bolts and slightly modify the bolt hole. There is a great video on this located here Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSKa5827DfI Another issue is that every photo I have seen of this mount has the torsion bar mounts at the 90 degree position. This is not how they should be mounted. In order to adjust the alignment (camber) you need these to be mounted at the 45 degree angle, which is where they are mounted in the actual crown vic. These lessons have come from personal experience. I don't know about you, but after spending money on wheels and tires, new brakes, etc. I would hate to have to buy new tires every few months just because the alignment is off. I mean are we not putting new components under these trucks for a reason? To see the angle at which you should properly mount the plate on the torsion bar, take off the back nut, this will reveal a slotted bushing which is necessary to be at the 90 degree angle in order for it to adjust with the camber.

Appreciate the pointer and couldn't agree more. I planned on mounting the torsion bar bolts as per the original crown Vic position. I read thru a thread in the 67-72 section and hacksters thread discusses this exact issue, when he took it for an alignment it was very close to where it should for proper handling.

Thanks again for the info, you can never have too much good info.

D

Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 PM
Lucky Red
Junior User
Originally Posted by tyleremt1
For all that are using the Crown Vic front end I have some information for you. I placed one in my 57, and have learned more than I ever wanted to. First, to properly adjust the camber, you will need to purchase special bolts and slightly modify the bolt hole. There is a great video on this located here 87365 - Crown Victoria - Grand Marquis - Town Car Camber Adjustment - Specialty Products Company.mpg - YouTube
Another issue is that every photo I have seen of this mount has the torsion bar mounts at the 90 degree position. This is not how they should be mounted. In order to adjust the alignment (camber) you need these to be mounted at the 45 degree angle, which is where they are mounted in the actual crown vic.

These lessons have come from personal experience. I don't know about you, but after spending money on wheels and tires, new brakes, etc. I would hate to have to buy new tires every few months just because the alignment is off. I mean are we not putting new components under these trucks for a reason?

To see the angle at which you should properly mount the plate on the torsion bar, take off the back nut, this will reveal a slotted bushing which is necessary to be at the 90 degree angle in order for it to adjust with the camber.

I did the crown vic front end as well, but I went with a pre-2003 style, which are an all steel assembly. It doesn't come off as one piece, and it requires more fabrication, but in the end the width is correct and its a fraction of the price. My biggest problem with that configuration is the location of the axle in relationship to the upper and lower control arms. It isn't set as close to center as a mustang 2 so if you go really wide with the rims--mine are an 18x9 in the front-- its tight at the grease fitting on the upper outer arm. I know its the most popular choice, but I wouldn't go with a 2003 or newer because of the width and aluminum. Mine doesn't rub at all, even with wide rims and rubber up there. All the adjustments are maintained as stock.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:46 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Well finally had a chance to start the tear down. Motor and transmission are unbolted and will be out tonight. I also managed to find a short box that is in better shape than my long box.

D

Attached Images        
Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like a good start

Old 05-12-2016, 06:51 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

More progress today, engine and transmission out and off to its new home. Guy building a 55 T bird needed the engine and being Mercury truck engine we assume it's a 292 which is what he's looking for, I just advertised it as a free seized Y block. Anyway here are the pics.

Attached Images     
Old 06-26-2016, 10:27 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Got a little more time and got her in the shop to start removing the front suspension..

Attached Images      
Old 08-08-2016, 10:57 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Ok I have another update, things are moving along. Just not as fast as I'd like. Rockers are at approx 11" from the ground now. I have ordered the IRS kit from team321 for my rear IRS setup once it arrives I get it set and welded then remove the cab and finish welding the front and install the trailing arm mounts. Then remove non required cross members and install bracing and box the frame where I feel it's required for extra strength. I hope to have this all done and ready for powder coating by October, then I can install all new bushings and paint everything up and get it ready for installation. Should keep me going till Christmas then I can start sheet metal repair. Hoping to be on the road by spring 2018. Name:  image-3346260667.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  546.3 KB Name:  image-40965996.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  607.1 KB Name:  image-149140416.jpg
Views: 2253
Size:  473.3 KB

Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 1957 Restomod