1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

IFS install update.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:06 PM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IFS install update.

Well,
I finally got all my sheet metal off, and took my engine out of my 55. Im very new to this, and having my engine and tranny on jackstands in the garage is pretty exciting. I finally have a chance to see the engine and transmission as a whole. I must say Im a little overwhelmed by all of this. I am definitely past the point of no return with my project.
My buddy has plenty of restos under his belt, and he is really glad that I am doing what Im doing. Im taking pictures with my digital camera, and am going to post the work we have done. I thought putting a volare set up under the truck would be easy, but theres so much to be done. I finally just realized that I am going to have to re-do all the brake lines as well, as I am going with the power brake booster, and power steering. I need a new steering column as well.
I sorta over looked alot of stuff when I purchased the volare front end, but can tell that when I am done with it, Ill be very happy. Im cleaning and painting everything so things are nice and clean. Next is the original suspension removal, and the (gulp) cutting of the frame. I am having my friend do all the welding, so I know it will be done like the factory would have done it. Thanks to all you people that have gotten me this far, I really couldnt have done any of it without the help of my friends at FTE.

Thanks, and I look forward to my next post.

55forder

Old 08-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
IFS install update.

Way to go, Dick! Every one of us had a first time at this stuff - I'm in the middle of my first restoration as well. Keep the excitement and try to lose the anxiety. You'll do fine.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:30 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS install update.

Congratulations on your excitement. Let's hope it doesn't turn into terror. I too am way past the point of no return having just removed all my front suspension including the frame mounts. I agree that it is exciting to see her in a different light. My frame rails are boxed and I will soon start the laborious task of blasting the frame. What are you going to paint your frame. I have decided to use POR15? I have a restorer in my area that uses it and I am satisfied with the way his jobs look. He seems to be happy with the performance and has used it for several years with out problems.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:31 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IFS install update.

Um, I havent thought of that yet........
Planning things is definitely not my strong point. Its one day at a time for this fella. I guess when I come to that point, Ill trace this thread Ill keep you guys posted. Terror is my middle name, thats why I learn so much.

55forder

or as Earl so kindly refers to me,
Dick.

Search this Thread