General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

GLENN FREY...RIP

Old 01-18-2016, 05:15 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,040 Likes on 4,148 Posts
GLENN FREY...RIP

We lost a legend from the music world today...Glenn Frey Eagles guitarist and vocalist passed away due to complications from pneumonia. RIP

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM
ChurchTurtle
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He always struck me as one of the healthier guys from the Rock-n-Roll scene, of that generation. I seem to recall he even had an endorsement deal with, maybe, Gold's Gym back in the mid 1980s. That was about the time "The Heat is On" was a hit.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Their Greatest Hits album has to be one of the biggest sellers of all time. Wasn't a huge fan but enjoyed their 70s hits, and Frey was a big part of the Eagles he wrote and sang most of the big ones.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I loved these guys-----saw them when they were Linda Ronstadt's back up band---with Jackson Browne as the headliner of that show---pretty awesome even way back then.

Over their next few albums (on vinyl no less ) their appeal just grew and grew, was lucky enough to see them maybe 3 times again under The Eagles name.

I hated how they turned into a bickering bunch of goofs, mistreating Don Felder as they did, Joe Walsh having a bit to do with that. Perhaps it was Don saying about Joe: "Joe Walsh---yeah he's a bunch of nice guys!" (Great creative-types tend to be a bit wacky, Joe being VERY creative!)

Glenn and Don Henley were founding members of The Eagles even though Don seemed to be more popular musically. Glenn was smitten with all of Hollywood from a young age and made no real secret being a television or movie star would be something he'd like to try. His solo music was good, acting and other roles still not coming his way.

Anyway loved his music and it is sad he's gone---makes me realize my time might not go on as long as I hope......................

R.I.P. Glenn---you did a lot of good while here among us!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:55 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 978 Posts
Old 01-20-2016, 02:50 PM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eagles were definitely one of the great bands from one of the great eras of popular music.

All the gossip about the Eagles fighting among themselves tends to overshadow the fact that they were all very talented and collaborated very well most of the time.

One of my favorite Frey stories is when he got in a fight with Randy Meisner who did not want to sing "Take It To The Limit" even though he wrote the song and no one could hit the high notes like that. Meisner was very shy and the fact that Frey insisted he step up and do his duty as a rock star just shows his integrity as a musician. RIP.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Doug351
Elder User
Yeah....saw Glen play at Six Flags shortly after launching his solo career...Poor guy...it was like 3 or 4 in the afternoon....he said "Damn! is it always this hot in Texas?"....(It was about 101° in the shade that day!)

Don Henley lives in Dallas...I trimmed the interior of one of his neighbors (12 million dollar house)...and also ALMOST trimmed his other neighbor's (Troy Aikman)....

Old 01-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Only recently heard since his passing why the Eagles broke up as a group in the first place. I knew they had infighting, bands always do. Frey had set up a benefit concert for a California politician - Sen. Alan Cranston (D) and not all the band members were as enthusiastic about it as he was. One of the guitarists basically said something like "yeah whatever" to Cranston and Mr. Frey blew a gasket.

From what I've read, fwiw, some of these guys are douchebags. Reunion tickets for example, were like $150 for nosebleed seats and that was over 20 years ago. Hookers and blow gets kinda spendy, I guess. /s

Old 01-20-2016, 08:38 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
I loved their music and their contributions to classic rock as we know it today.

RIP sir.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
I didn't know Jackson Brown wrote "Take It Easy", or at least most of it. He was struggling to find a lyric after "Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" and Glenn Frey came up with with the girl in a flat bed Ford and the rest of it. He said he didn't even know what a flat bed was!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:17 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9

From what I've read, fwiw, some of these guys are douchebags. Reunion tickets for example, were like $150 for nosebleed seats and that was over 20 years ago.
Most "normal" people would be highly disappointed to meet those they think are cool or such massive talents----more than not are indeed douchebags, both men and women in anything "popular". Their stage personas often times nothing more than portrayals of people they know their audiences will respond too.

Jimmy Buffet comes across as a good friendly guy we'd love to share a beer with---IRL he's a bit of dick (Richard). With so many TV programs exposing the real side of celebrities its easy to see most of them are just cardboard cut outs that speak, play music, act, throw or hit *****----all for huge sums of money thanks to "we the people.........."!

I do remember The Eagles first reunion tour---been almost 20 years since last seeing them live. When learing "lawn seats" were $80 each I said screw that. When that tour was shown on TV I was shocked---exact same song list as all those years ago, nothing new that I recall. Be then having learned about all the infighting and douchbaggerie going on seeing them live again wasn't even on my wanna do list.

Don't meet or get to know your heroes---they'll almost never live up to their images we have for them.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Doug351
Elder User
I play guitar...and know several local musicians....that are the nicest folks you could ever meet...even amongst superstars, most are extremely nice people....

It's usually the folks that pester them that come away with a bad taste in their mouths. Not saying that there aren't some real ****** that have let success swell their heads and warp their sense of reality....(just look at the NFL!!!!)

Old 02-02-2016, 10:04 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
This was some of the saddest news I'd heard in a while when it broke. Having seen The Eagles twice in concert over the last three years and being a lifelong fan of their music I just couldn't believe it. Likewise, Glenn had a great solo career and I was a big fan of his music. Growing up during the Miami Vice era was great and Glenn lent his talents to that show's soundtracks numerous times. Truly sad.

Last edited by powerstroke72; 02-02-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
It's sad but, it's also true a lot of folks in the 60s burned the candle at both ends. Yeah it sounds like they had a lot of fun, I'm sure it was really groovy and far out but the "Summer of Love" was soon followed by the "Winter of Gonnohrea", many of the performers hoovered up massive amounts of cocaine and heroin well into the 80s and the rest of it.

Of course quite a few performers never even made it out of the 60s or had lots of frequent flyer miles racked up at the Betty Ford clinic and needed a liver transplant etc. The next few years are going to be pretty rough for a lot of them I'm afraid. What did you expect?

So pay attention kids real life is not anything like the movies or TV.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:51 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
The only classic rocker that I'm saddened that I'll never be able to see is Bob Segar and his Silver Bullet band.

I'm addicted to the music that comes through the radio, live performances no matter the genre rarely do that. Reba McIntyre and Brooks & Dunn are two performances that come to mind that met my likes.

I'd never pay huge $$$ to see anyone play live. I have the their albums.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GLENN FREY...RIP