Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

let's talk about wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 02:36 PM
aj88V
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let's talk about wiper blades

The driver's blade didn't work well on my truck even though the rubber was still soft and flexible. I replaced both of them - think I used Anco blades - but the driver's side still leaves big blobs of water smack in the center while the passenger side works fine - just like before.

Maybe this has something to do with the curvature of the windshield?

Am considering buying a shorter blade and seeing if that helps. Stock is 18" for both blades, so maybe a 17" or even a 16" might help.

Or maybe try an expensive 18" silicone wiper blade?

Anybody else have this problem? What works for you?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:50 PM
The_Drew
Senior User
I had a problem similar to this in my old 87 e250, for some reason the passenger side wiper base was at a weird angle and wouldn't hold the wiper against the window. Leaving a big gap where water would just sit. I ended up bending the lower part of the wiper arm so it angled it more toward the window. Don't know if that's your problem but it kinda sounds like it. Maybe pop the cowl off and take a better look, maybe something sagged in the mechanism on that side.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Lonzo
Junior User
Mine did that after I picked it up from body shop. They bent the arm out a little and the blade would leave a big blob right in the middle. Just bend it back a little.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:19 AM
aj88V
Senior User
I never would have thought about the arm being bent. Thanks guys. I'll give the a try!

Old 01-19-2016, 02:10 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I've been fighting with the same problem off and on for years.

I use only Motorcraft blades due to the other brands chattering so badly.

What I don't understand is even with bending the arm, it still doesn't makena difference. The windshield was replaced in July 2014.
The problem is only on the driver side and is usually only affected at speeds above 30+ mph. The only thing I can think of is that the spring that pulls tension down is weak and allows for lift.

Here's a pic of a LMC wiper arm purchased 7+ years ago and the 24+ year old wiper arm spring from Left to Right.

I'm gonna attempt to change the length of the spring or look at the hardware store for a replacement.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:27 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine chatters like a whizzed-off squirrel! I haven't checked but are both arms the same?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Chattering was greatly reduced going with Motorcraft blades..no idea why, but I refuse to buy any other brand. Arms are interchangeable, they don't have to be specific to either side.

I just have that blob that doesn't get squeeged off on the driver side. I found a spring that is close to the OEM, so I changed it. I will know later once the snow quits. I don't know if you can purchase new arms from Ford or not. LMC has them and the arm on the left is a LMC arm.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Motorcraft blades:

WW-1801-P cheapest I found was RockAuto, $6.72 ea

WW-1802-P same for $3.82 and states "A synthetic rubber body and a natural wiping edge provide a quiet wipe and reduced chatter"

Might be worth giving the 1802's a shot.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The chatter is not caused by the arc of the arm, but the angle instead. Its twisted so its pushing the blade into the window. I'll bet it only chatters in one direction. Because when it goes back, its the opposite and slides. To fix, first you need to know whether it chatters going up, or down. If up, take your pliers and twist the arm, not bend, so that the blade turns slightly to the passenger side. So facing the truck, twist clock wise. If chattering on the way down, twist toward drivers side or counter clockwise facing the front of the truck. Might take a couple tries, but the sweet spot is pretty big, so easy to find. Basically the wiper is supposed to flip from side to side. If twisted incorrectly it will not slide in one direction because it doesn't flip all the way to one side. Like shoveling snow. Handle low and the shovel slides nice. Lift the handle up high the blade digs in and it jams to a stop. Just like your wipers. Except your wipers power threw and chatter instead of stopping. The shovel would too if you had more power and it didn't jab ya in the ribs and wind ya. Lol

Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

You're right about that. I'll swap mine with one from my parts truck and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Chattering is in the blades. Blades not completely cleaning the windshield is the arms. I've been bending my arms to get more pressure on the blades. I've tried a couple of different brands of arms and none of them are close to the original ones. I'm looking to see what timbersteel discovers!
I have found that using a windshield treatment like RainX helps with the chatter and cleaning of all of the water. But I shouldn't have to use it when everything is working right.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:38 AM
Ken Blythen
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
The only thing I can think of is that the spring that pulls tension down is weak and allows for lift.
That's what it is. I had the same issue on the drivers side of my truck above about 30 mph........replaced the blades (more than once), no change; swapped arms from side to side, no change; replaced the windshield because of a crack (gotcha now!), no change .

Finally bought new arms.........problem solved. No longer leaning sideways to see in the rain

Old 01-20-2016, 12:48 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bruners4
Chattering is in the blades. Blades not completely cleaning the windshield is the arms. I've been bending my arms to get more pressure on the blades. I've tried a couple of different brands of arms and none of them are close to the original ones. I'm looking to see what timbersteel discovers!
I have found that using a windshield treatment like RainX helps with the chatter and cleaning of all of the water. But I shouldn't have to use it when everything is working right.
Like "Absloute" said it's not the pressure of the blade on the windshield. It's the ability of the blade to flip so the blade is dragged instead of being pushed in the direction of the wipe. It's a real dealer fix too to adjust the twist of the wiper arm and not the pressure. Having used this fix many times over the years I'd use an adjustable wrench instead of pliers. The wrench grab firmlywill not slip or gouge the wiper arm metal and you'll get a better twist, you won't have to squeeze and twist at the same time.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:07 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The twist is definitely your issue. I use the cheapest blades out there. 6 bucks a pair, and a slight twist cured mine. Cresent wrench is a great idea to prevent scoring it up. Just make sure you use the metric one and not the imperial. The imperial doesn't quite fit right. Hahaha

Old 01-20-2016, 02:15 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
Originally Posted by Absolute
The twist is definitely your issue. I use the cheapest blades out there. 6 bucks a pair, and a slight twist cured mine. Cresent wrench is a great idea to prevent scoring it up. Just make sure you use the metric one and not the imperial. The imperial doesn't quite fit right. Hahaha
Good point! I must have used the wrong one! It fit on there but it was a loose fit. I'll be more careful next time.

Quick Reply: let's talk about wiper blades