Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.56 regear

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 04:06 PM
heisenberg505
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.56 regear

Hi, thanks for checking this thread out.

I am planning on regearing my truck. at the moment my rear end needs to be rebuilt. Not sure how extensive the damage is. But because of this I have an opportunity to regear my truck.

I have done a fair bit of research and i have decided i want to go with 4.56s. I have a 1990 4x4 f150 351w with an e4od. It has a 4" lift and will 33" tires. I may want to go up to 35s down the road some time.

My main questions are what exactly i will need for this. I think i want to buy the parts online and take it to a shop.

From what i have researched i will need the ring and pinion for the front and rear obviously. I have read that i will need a new carrier case for the front as well as master overhaul kit for the front and rear. Am i missing anything?

I was putting together a hypothetical list on Randys website. I attached a picture of the items i put in my cart.

I would really appreciate some help on this. I know this is an expensive upgrade and i would like to do it right the first time.

And if anyone one knows of a reputable shop in albuquerque new mexico that would be awesome!

Old 01-16-2016, 05:08 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I'm not sure about what all you need, but my first suggestion would be to first find the shop you will have do the work and then see what they think of you providing all the parts. Some shops don't like working that way and will either say no, give you grief, or charge you more. For some it won't be an issue, but find out before you're committed.

I'll also point out that this would be the ideal time to add a locker or Truetrac if you have any thoughts about that. It adds parts cost now, but the labor is free when you're already doing gears. And especially in the front where you need to buy a carrier anyway, you can buy a selectable locker instead.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The front you'd probably need a new carrier. The d44 has a carrier split, I believe 3.92 and up numerically and 3.73 and numerically lower. So if you already have 4.10 you would be alright, otherwise if you have 3.55 (most likely) or 3.73 you'll need it.

You might also look for thick gears instead of replacing the carrier. I guess they're becoming more common than they used to be.

The rear doesn't have this restriction.

You'll need gears, and master install kits ideally. That's all new bearings, new crush sleeves, usually shims and seals.

If you're that far into it, you may as well do the rear wheel seals and bearings too.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:23 PM
heisenberg505
New User
Thanks for the responses. I havent heard if thick gears i will look into them. Im guessing i would only need thick gears for the front because of the carrier. The truck has 3.55 so it will need a new carrier. The front already has a locker. I think its stock. Not really interested in locking the rear at this point.

This week i will call around town and see what the shops say in regards to me buying the parts.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 PM
chrismd188
Senior User
For the front you'll need new carrier,ring and pinion,bearings..axle shaft seals,oil slinger and baffle probably

For rear new ring and pinion,carrier bearings,I recommend rebuilding the limited slip if your truck has it,and new wheel bearings and seals while its apart

I think almost any one could rebuild the rear if you can follow instructions,just make sure backlash is correct and torque to turn on pinion and your pattern look good

The front is just a little more difficult.

I rebuilt both of mine last summer.I have 4.56's with 35's

Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by heisenberg505
.... The front already has a locker. I think its stock. Not really interested in locking the rear at this point....
Ford never put lockers in these trucks. It MIGHT have a limited slip in the front. That was an option, but it was pretty uncommon and I'd be VERY surprised if anyone ever ordered a front limited slip and didn't also order one in the rear.

And if you do end up needing to replace the front carrier you'll be replacing whatever differential is there now. So you'll either need to buy a new open diff, a new limited slip, or a new whatever else you decide to put in.

But if you're happy with open diffs, that's fine. Just suggesting that you'll be kicking yourself a few years down the road if you end up needing to pay for all of the same work to be done a second time to install a different diff.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 PM
heisenberg505
New User
I was confusing the locking hubs and locking differential. what do you think of something like the spartan locker. Do you have any recommendations on a good locker to put in front and back. Not really wanting to blow the budget tho. Thats why i was looking at the spartan.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:52 PM
heisenberg505
New User
Would you recommend both front and rear lockers. Or would it be better to get only one for either the front or rear.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:06 PM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would you recommend both front and rear lockers. Or would it be better to get only one for either the front or rear.
What kind of driving do you do? Any off road and how much?

Old 01-16-2016, 11:07 PM
heisenberg505
New User
This is my daily driver, but i do take it up the mountain in the winter and like to go mudding or take it camping.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 PM
OldGrayFord
Senior User
I personally would not use a locker in front unless it was an off road only rig. There are times when 4wd is handy going down the road. (Snowy roads or messy gravel roads) not with a locker though.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:29 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGrayFord
I personally would not use a locker in front unless it was an off road only rig. There are times when 4wd is handy going down the road. (Snowy roads or messy gravel roads) not with a locker though.

Ditto. A front locker is not for everybody. Most any limited slip would be good for basic mudding/forest roads and whatnot. If you get into offroading more than that you're going to want to ditch the TTB more than likely anyways.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:34 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Please delete

Old 01-17-2016, 12:42 AM
westcoasting
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is my daily driver, but i do take it up the mountain in the winter and like to go mudding or take it camping.
Put a truetrac in the back and call it good! Put a locker in if you are inclined to thrash the truck off road...

Old 01-17-2016, 03:37 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Please delete

Quick Reply: 4.56 regear