Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.56 regear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 07:39 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Here's a link to a thread I wrote up on traction aiding diffs. It might help you
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...erentials.html

Summary: I'd never put anything other than a selectable locker (like an ARB) in the front. In the rear I'd go with a Truetrac for most street-oriented use, but would certainly consider an automatic locker if towing wasn't a big factor and I expected to be able to use the more positive traction. I'd also consider a selectable in the rear.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:51 PM
heisenberg505
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks for all the info! I really have some more research to do considering the lockers. I would however prefer to keep the cost down as much as possible. And i am pretty interested in thw lunchbox lockers because of their affordability. But i do plan to keep the truck long term afer putting so much money into it. So i am also thinking of pissibly arb lockers at both ends.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:20 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Please delete

Old 01-17-2016, 03:58 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Summary: I'd never put anything other than a selectable locker (like an ARB) in the front. .

This is what I did. I needed lower gears, which would have required a new carrier, so I went with lockers on both ends. Rear detroit, front ARB selectable. It takes some getting used to driving with a rear locker, but it's manageable once you get the hang of it.

Selectable front and rear is the best possible scenario, and is slightly more expensive, but just know that going with lockers isn't cheap to begin with.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:07 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
I'll agree with some of what BruteFord said, and disagree with some. Don't put a lunch box locker (or any other automatic locker) in the front unless you will NEVER drive it in 4WD at any speed. They are DANGEROUS on snowy freeways.

In the rear a lunchbox locker is what, $200? And a Detroit is $450? (just guessing at the prices). As BruteFord said, the big savings in the lunchbox locker is in not having to pay someone $300 - $500 to set up the gears. You're doing that anyway. If you want an automatic locker I'd go with a stronger one now.

Where I differ from BruteFord is on clutch type limited slips. I'd much prefer to have open diffs, especially in the front. But that's my opinion.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:32 PM
heisenberg505
New User
Probably a dumb question. Do i have a 28 or 31 spline in the rear.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:07 PM
animator
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
31 spline rear

Old 01-17-2016, 11:42 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Please delete

Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Please delete

Old 01-18-2016, 10:40 AM
'75HB250
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
And yes 31 spline, in the Ford world for the most part if it's 4 lug it's 28 spline, if it's 5 lug it's 31 spline. This holds true for both the 8.8 and 9".
An exception would be Panther chassis cars. They are 8.8s (some early ones were 8.2/ 8.5 variants), and 28 spline, with a 5 on 4.5" B.C. I believe in '05 or thereabouts they went to 30 spline axles.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
....The front vs. rear thing I tend to go the opposite of most on this. I lean towards more posi/locker up front then rear. Several reasons for this, ....
Personally I have mixed feelings about this. For high speed snow use I'd never want anything but an open diff (or an unlocked selectable) in the front. But I like the idea of an open rear and a selectable in front: the best manners in most driving, but a positive locker in the axle with the most weight on it when you get stuck in snow or mud. The only downside I see to that is axle strength. It's a lot easier to break a locked front axle than a locked rear axle. Still, for getting unstuck in mud or snow I don't think breaking an axle is very likely anyway, so it wouldn't be a bad setup for that.

In my rock crawlers I haven't had a front locker yet, so I can't say what I'd think of them. But I really like an automatic locker in the rear. I haven't thought it's hurt steering very much, and I really like the "automatic" part about it, not having to think about when to engage or disengage it. Plus, the time you need a locker the most is when you're climbing a hill. With more of the weight transferred to the rear axle it doesn't have as much less weight (or might even have more) than the front axle. So (without the experience of a front locker) I strongly lean toward a rear automatic locker in a rock crawler if there's only going to be one traction-aiding diff. (also better given the much higher likelihood of breaking an axle rock crawling)

Obviously there are other situations too, but those are the ones I'm familiar with, so those are the only ones I'll argue for.

....Edit, I should add that I would NEVER put a traditional locker in the front of any vehicle that might see any high speed driving with the front hubs locked. They are just too unpredictable as to when they will let go and how that will effect handling. I would however consider a spool/Lincoln lock. While they do effect handling at least its consistent and predictable which makes it manageable.
I still wouldn't ever consider a spool in front for higher speed snow driving. The bad experience I had with a front locker would have been exactly the same with a spool. When one front tire loses traction all of the power goes to the other. That isn't consistent, predictable or manageable. And for lower speed usage, my limited experience didn't give me any reason to think an automatic locker would be any worse than a spool. So I'll stand by my opinions on those in front axles (while obviously being fine if your opinions are different).

Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM
heisenberg505
New User
For the dana 44 up front do we use reversing gears. There are options for regular gears and reverse. Not sure which goes in our trucks.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Ddaybc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your truck is a 4X4 it will use both reverse and standard cut gears. The Dana 44 in the front uses the reverse cut gears while the rear diff uses the standard cut gears.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:21 PM
heisenberg505
New User
Thanks i found a shop in town that will do the install for 780 and i can order all the parts online. 👍

Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Please delete

Quick Reply: 4.56 regear