1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Barbers 54 f100 project

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Barbers 54 f100 project

Hey everyone. I'm a Rockabilly Barber and major gearhead. I have been wanting an old school ride for a daily driver/shop truck/rolling advertisement for a while now. So its time to build just that.

I'm starting out with a 54 I picked up off a friend of a friend.

Current plans for the truck include jaguar irs and ifs out of an 85 xjs. A 292 Y-block with a Weiand Tri-power and headers. A 3 speed manual with overdrive. A 3" chop. Several other body mods and a custom built bed. Paint will be a blue with grey scallops.

Attached Images    
Old 01-16-2016, 01:36 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Here are a few more pictures of what I have to work with. The hood I have already stripped and I'm waiting for my front patch to show up.

I have a set of rough front fenders and 2 sets of rear fenders.

Attached Images      
Old 01-16-2016, 06:09 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Not sure if you are familiar with the F100 Supernationals but they are being held in your neck of the woods in mid-May... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nationals.html
There will be many F100 owners there and a swap meet where you might be able to score some parts that you need for your build. Good luck...

Old 01-16-2016, 09:43 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Not sure if you are familiar with the F100 Supernationals but they are being held in your neck of the woods in mid-May... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nationals.html
There will be many F100 owners there and a swap meet where you might be able to score some parts that you need for your build. Good luck...
Thanks for the link. I'll go check it out

Old 01-17-2016, 09:15 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Didn't have much time today because of helping a friend to go pick up an engine for his crown vic. I did manage to get the doors off the cab and the cab off the frame. Tomorrow I'm going to work on stripping the frame and get things ready to mock up the front suspension

Attached Images    
Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Unfortunately bad weather and fighting off the flu have reall slowed down my progress.
I have managed to get all the old suspension mounts and running board mounts off the frame.

Started mocking up the jag front suspension. Managed to get it notched to clear the frame.

There was a small tab/ear needed cut off so the cross member would sit flush against the frame.

I also started working on the rear mount for the jag irs. And got the boxing plates made for the front.

And last I cut the original top mout of the jag cage. I'm going to modify and reuse it in my design.

More to come

Attached Images             
Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
I guess my brain was frozen the other day while I was working. I just realized I was mocking up my front cross member backwards. Luckily I hadn't welded anything in yet. Talking about having an off day.

Not much progress to report other that getting the rest of the front suspension torn apart so I can get it blasted and painted this weekend. Also ordering all the parts to rebuild the front suspension tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:00 AM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and thanks for sharing your project. Keep it coming. Don't apologize for not making progress. You got more done since your first post than some of us do in years. Also, most guys move the IFS centerline a little forward from the stock location to center the front wheels in the wheel wells. Are there published dimension for the mounting bolt hole on the xjs for this?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:24 AM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
sounds like a great plan. keep us posted with pics. thanks.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by das54
Welcome and thanks for sharing your project. Keep it coming. Don't apologize for not making progress. You got more done since your first post than some of us do in years. Also, most guys move the IFS centerline a little forward from the stock location to center the front wheels in the wheel wells. Are there published dimension for the mounting bolt hole on the xjs for this?
I know There are diagrams of the front suspension.....not sure about dimensions though.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
I normally only have a couple of days a week (depending on weather) to work on my truck do to lack of a garage. I'm starting to build 1 and my buddy alows me to work in his shop when I can....his shop is where I have access to a lathe, sand blaster and other specialty tools I don't currently have. Progress will definitely speed up once the garage is finished.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Well.....thanks to some low life my project has been slightly delayed. My debit cards got hacked into. 1 of my accounts got hit for almost 2 grand. Currently waiting on new debit cards to show up in the mail and for my money to get reimbursed. That money was set aside for more steel plate for my frame, the front suspension rebuild kit, and the new carrier and ring and pinion for the rear. Hopefully all of this gets sorted out soon.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
I have managed to get most of the front and rear suspension parts cleaned up and painted. Still have a few more things to go.

Attached Images       
Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
I have made my wheel choice. What do you guys think?

Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
got a little work in today. Started some reassembly on the front suspension...still waiting on the rebuild kit to arrive so that i can finish the rebuild.

cleaned up and painted a few more parts and started prepping the transmission. the trans is a 3sp with overdrive. i had to turn down the front shaft cover to fit into the Y-block bellhousing. i need to pick up some round allen bolts to clear the housing.

Attached Images     

Quick Reply: The Barbers 54 f100 project