1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

The Barbers 54 f100 project

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patched a spot on the front of the frame and started welding up the extra holes in the frame.

Attached Images     
Old 02-22-2016, 01:58 PM
sammywayne23
Mountain Pass
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldcrowbarber
I have made my wheel choice. What do you guys think?
I think those wheels will look nice. I like the classic look a lot, especially on a Ford pickup.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saw your thread, thanks for sharing all of the updates! I really like those wheels, what size are you going with? Also, sucks about your cards man, I hope it all got fixed.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:22 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Schuyles
Just saw your thread, thanks for sharing all of the updates! I really like those wheels, what size are you going with? Also, sucks about your cards man, I hope it all got fixed.
Thanks man. I'm going to run 15x8 up front and 15x10 in the rear. And luckily my card issue got sorted out.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Finally got the frame sand blasted and most of the holes welded up plus the the nuts welded on for the holes I need to keep. Started boxing the frame and got most of it primed.

Attached Images         
Old 03-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Last night I finished welding up the center boxing plates and welded up more holes in the the front before I start boxing it in this weekend.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:43 AM
jvmcc
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm rebuilding my 53 f100 stock, but I enjoy following the builds of those folks doing radical modifications. I've been curious about frame "boxing". I've seen how much my own frame can twist, especially on uneven terrain. I assume that the Ford engineers were aware of this twisting, and they accounted for it in the overall frame design. It seems to me that "boxing" would redistribute forces acting on the frame, especially torsional, differently. I don't have a mental picture of the flow of forces through the frame, but, everything else being equal,wouldn't boxing tend to concentrate forces at points on the frame not intended to adequately resist them? What forces on the frame is "boxing" supposed to handle? Maybe if these boxed frames trucks are going to spend the rest of their lives on absolutely flat pavement this isn't an issue.. Just curious

Old 03-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good, and moving quick!

Old 03-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet build so far! On your wheel choice, I'm also looking for steelie looking wheels. They look wheet!

Old 03-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jvmcc
I'm rebuilding my 53 f100 stock, but I enjoy following the builds of those folks doing radical modifications. I've been curious about frame "boxing". I've seen how much my own frame can twist, especially on uneven terrain. I assume that the Ford engineers were aware of this twisting, and they accounted for it in the overall frame design. It seems to me that "boxing" would redistribute forces acting on the frame, especially torsional, differently. I don't have a mental picture of the flow of forces through the frame, but, everything else being equal,wouldn't boxing tend to concentrate forces at points on the frame not intended to adequately resist them? What forces on the frame is "boxing" supposed to handle? Maybe if these boxed frames trucks are going to spend the rest of their lives on absolutely flat pavement this isn't an issue.. Just curious
Boxing the frame is necessary if you are going to run independent front and rear suspension. You need the extra strength do to everything being concentrated on to 4 specific load points on the frame. With the original leaf spring and solid axle set up the energy transfer to the frame was spread out over a wider area.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Made some good progress today. I welded in the jag ifs crossmember, then made the front boxing plates. Almost finished welding them up until I ran out of welding gas. I also managed to tac one of the original crossmembers back in place. Hopefully next weekend I'll get the front suspension finished up and I can start on the rear suspension setup.

Attached Images        
Old 03-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Tonight I got a couple of hours in to work on the truck. I got the rear cross member fabricated for the rear end tonight. Should get it welded in this weekend.

Attached Images    
Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Tonight I got the rear center section welded in place. Next I need to get the upper cool over mount fabricated. I also rebuilt the lower control arm ball joints. I should have the front and rear suspension finished soon.

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2016, 06:45 AM
mike.rogers
Senior User
looking real good. boxed in frame looks really good too. If and when I build another one I'd like try this type of build.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Oldcrowbarber
Mountain Pass
Hopefully I'll make some good progress on the truck tomorrow

Quick Reply: The Barbers 54 f100 project