1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a truck. How much below invoice can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM
whalerron
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordering a truck. How much below invoice can I expect?

I don't see any threads here relating to pricing and I wonder if this is an illegal topic here? If this isn't a legal question here, please let me know. I have priced out a 2016 Superduty XLT 4x4 6.2L crewcab with an invoice of 45K. Do you have any idea how much under invoice I can expect to pay not including incentives?

Old 01-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my truck in 2013 sticker said. 42 and some change, I left about 32 and a spray in liner and undercoat an paint protection . Both were to be about 600 each.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:07 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Go to NADA and price your truck with options you have ordered or want to order....the invoice price they give is pretty close to what you will pay less advertising and fuel charge....along with the other charges you have to pay such as taxes, doc fee, title, etc.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Paging @Frantz.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:08 AM
whalerron
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hotrod70d
I purchased my truck in 2013 sticker said. 42 and some change, I left about 32 and a spray in liner and undercoat an paint protection . Both were to be about 600 each.
Tom, do you know what the invoice price was for your truck? Thanks.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:48 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's a tricky one! Especially since you're from Baltimore. Here in Pa at my shop we generally offer USAA pricing at $500 under invoice, and TrueCar at $400 under. On a fully loaded truck there could be a few more bucks to go with. Down in Baltimore you'll see potentially more, however, the deal ends up being about the same. How can two trucks be sold at different prices be the same deal? All the padded fees and what counts as vehicle sale price. If you look at the internet advertising in MD you'll see most places say "does not include destination or document fees" or something along those lines. Well the destination is $1200 and doc fees there are normally $500 or so. Here in pa, the destination is part of the invoice (which I think it is in MD, but I believe I've see in other states (Oregon comes to mind, but I could be wrong) where it wasn't listed on the invoice at all, and doc fees in PA are capped at $134 (which I do find to be pretty reasonable). I've also seen "prep fees" added at some places, this is basically taking the overhead of the vehicle and making it a separate charge from the vehicle itself. If a dealership does this, you can go further on vehicle sale price than a dealership that includes all this.

If you have a chance to see the actual invoice, and as long as it is a retail invoice, you'll see the holdback amount listed. If you take invoice minus holdback you get the net cost. Now out of this you have to pay the sales folks, clean and wash the car, put fuel in it, whatever else is the cost. Normally all these cost go into a "pack" and this pack is normally $200-$300. So this has to get added (unless they have the prep fees).

It really is a mixed up mess and there isn't a straight forward answer. The online guides all warn against shopping by payment, but it really is the best last check as that comes down to math which can't lie. Honestly if you are shopping at any of the local shops in Baltimore you'll get a good price so long as you pull in the internet price ahead of time and stick to that car you should get a good deal. They'll add the rebates you don't qualify for back off but you'll still end up at a good price even with the higher fees (most of the time). Those guys are volume folks and make their money on back end products more than sale of the vehicle. So I might sell you a warranty much cheaper than they offer it to you. I can match their pricing just fine once I pull out all the extra rebates they add (which most don't qualify for) and account for destination and doc fee differences etc. My $500 under we give USAA folks is just as good as their pricing which they advertise at around $2000 less online. Think about it this way... how could they really be selling cars for less money than what Ford corporate employees get (Z plan) and be making profit? It's all the back end stuff they add back in (which ADXZ protects you from)

And... I sell 90% of my vehicles for $100 over invoice (close to X plan). Its the number I start at and I never am ashamed to let someone know what I'm making off them. But then I'm working in commercial with business folks who don't have time to waste going back and forth for a few hundred bucks, their time is worth more than that and I more than earn it by making everything quick easy and straight forward.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by whalerron
Tom, do you know what the invoice price was for your truck? Thanks.
Nope. Perhaps Frantz can look that up?

1FTEW1EG4FFA56609

Old 01-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't look up invoices for trucks sold already so I'm not sure. If you want the invoice price for a new truck I've found True Car to give a pretty close figure WITHOUT having to enter personal info. You just build it with the options you want without requesting a "guaranteed savings certificate" or whatever they call it.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:16 PM
whalerron
Elder User
The Ford dealer, that I visited, is the largest volume dealer in Maryland. They have a $500 documentation charge but that is separate from the vehicle price. As you stated, there is a $1200 delivery charge included in the invoice price. Additionally, they have included a $700 advertising fee. This advertising fee astounds me because this invoice price is for a truck that isn't built yet because it is a truck I want to order. Why do I need to pay an advertising fee for a truck that would never sit on their lot?

So, I didn't get to see an actual invoice. Instead, the salesman showed me the invoice data as listed on the vehicle order confirmation form. The truck retail price is $48100 and the invoice price is $45400.

I looked up the True Car price for this truck and 3 shown prices average at about $40500. Does the True Car pricing include the delivery fee of $1200 or does the True Car pricing omit that fee from their price?

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:00 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I have found that True Car and NADA do NOT include the Advertising fee nor the Fuel Fee Ford charges you. They do include the delivery, well NADA does. Documentation fees are a rip off. This one dealer I just bought a 2016 Fusion form was only $159.00. Another dealer in the area had $425 for doc fees.

What I paid for the 2016 Fusion I special ordered was exactly the same price as NADA showed less these fees - Fuel fee, Advertising charge.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:07 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
prices vary based on location....metro areas being more pricey than suburbs and the sticks. In NYC, it seems for every hour west and south I drive , the price drops 1000 bucks.

do an auto trader search in a 500 mile radius and you will see what I mean. the last vehicle I bought new, within the 500 mile radius there were 3 price bands (the most common price locally, 2500 less 1-2 hours away, and 5000 less 3-5 hours away). I was prepared to drive 2 or 3 hours so I used the middle teir price as my target and flat out told the dealer they could save me a couple our trip by selling me their vehicle at my target price......after a few minutes of back office meetings thats exacly what they did.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have come to the point where I won't even walk into a dealership until we meet on price vi email/phone. When I bought my truck I spent 10 minutes total in the showroom and that was to sign papers and pick up the keys when it came in. I got mine for around 47k and sticker was 55k.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:39 AM
KCBS Smoker
Senior User
^^^This. Do extensive research on pricing and print out all material. Negotiate with the internet sales team. Go to dealer with all your printed material and a calculator. Sales people realize when they are confronted with an educated buyer and would prefer just to get the deal done.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Recurve
Junior User
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
I have come to the point where I won't even walk into a dealership until we meet on price vi email/phone. When I bought my truck I spent 10 minutes total in the showroom and that was to sign papers and pick up the keys when it came in. I got mine for around 47k and sticker was 55k.
Exactly what I do. My last 3 Ford trucks were bought over the phone.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:53 PM
J10Plat
New User
My dad and I started the phone/email practice on buying new. We call the dealerships we are willing to drive to and give them one chance to make the deal and they all know that. This practice has worked pretty well for us. I ordered a 16 F250 Platinum with a MSRP of 68,1xx.xx invoice was around the $63k mark and with a couple fleet rebates I was down around $58k.

Quick Reply: Ordering a truck. How much below invoice can I expect?