Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling issue on my new 2003 Excursion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 02:05 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Stalling issue on my new 2003 Excursion.

I am purchasing a 2003 Excursion with a V10 sight unseen this weekend. It has a stalling issue. Apparently it will run and then die. What are the things I should look at besides the fuel filter. The owner said the fuel pressure was ok.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Vwags
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most common issue is with the Idle Air Control Valve

Old 01-15-2016, 05:02 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Originally Posted by Vwags
Most common issue is with the Idle Air Control Valve

Will that throw a code?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
The truck was just dropped off at my buddy's place. Looks like the the crank and cam sensors were replaced with oem sensors. I haven't touched it yet. I won't get out there until later this week. My friend started it and let it idle. Can the idle air control valve cause an intermittent stall condition?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The IAC can cause stalling issues. So can a fuel filter, fuel pump, vacuum leak etc...

Check for codes first and go from there!

Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
The IAC can cause stalling issues. So can a fuel filter, fuel pump, vacuum leak etc...

The filter is changed. The tank will get dropped and checked. I might change the pump if need be. If the IACV is bad, will it be bad constantly or can it fail intermittently?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:55 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazytwo
The filter is changed. The tank will get dropped and checked. I might change the pump if need be. If the IACV is bad, will it be bad constantly or can it fail intermittently?
WHY would you drop the tank for fun Maybe you should check the fuel pressure yourself ..

Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM
jspringator
Senior User
Does it stall when you pit it in reverse? When you stop abruptly? Mine was doing that and I replaced the transmission filter and replaced fluid with synthetic. Fixed it immediately.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
WHY would you drop the tank for fun Maybe you should check the fuel pressure yourself ..

I was told the fuel pressure is fine but haven't checked it myself. This is what came out of my tank from my 2000 Excursion.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:05 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Originally Posted by jspringator
Does it stall when you pit it in reverse? When you stop abruptly? Mine was doing that and I replaced the transmission filter and replaced fluid with synthetic. Fixed it immediately.
That's interesting. Fluid and filter changes will be the first things that I will do. I am just trying to get a jump on this stalling issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM
2002exPSD
Laughing Gas
Make sure the egr isn't stuck open. Been there done that. Real fun to track down.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:54 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Originally Posted by 2002exPSD
Make sure the egr isn't stuck open. Been there done that. Real fun to track down.
On my list as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J0rIoT1CX7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10502511

Low RPMs
  • A bad idle air control valve will prevent adequate air flow to the engine and will result in increasingly lower RPMs when idling. The number of RPMs, while idling, will vary a bit based on the individual vehicle but is generally considered low when below 800 RPM. The RPMs will increase to normal levels when the accelerator is pressed.
Stalling
  • As the air control valve becomes increasingly clogged, the engine RPMs, while idling, will continue to drop until the vehicle stalls. This problem can usually be identified by applying the gas. When the vehicle is about to stall, pressing the accelerator will cause the RPMs to increase and will keep the car running. If the pedal is released, the RPMs will quickly drop, and the vehicle will stall. Sometimes, depending on how badly the idle air control valve is clogged, the vehicle may run correctly when the accelerator is pressed, but then sputter or stall when decelerating.
Rough Idle
  • If the idle air control valve has gone bad and no longer regulates the flow of air into the engine, typically due to the IAC being stuck open, the vehicle will idle roughly. A rough idle is characterized by shaking, vibrating and shuddering while the car is on but not moving. A rough idle due to a bad intake air control valve will eventually result in stalling immediately after starting the vehicle.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wpnaes
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10502511

Low RPMs
  • A bad idle air control valve will prevent adequate air flow to the engine and will result in increasingly lower RPMs when idling. The number of RPMs, while idling, will vary a bit based on the individual vehicle but is generally considered low when below 800 RPM. The RPMs will increase to normal levels when the accelerator is pressed.
Stalling
  • As the air control valve becomes increasingly clogged, the engine RPMs, while idling, will continue to drop until the vehicle stalls. This problem can usually be identified by applying the gas. When the vehicle is about to stall, pressing the accelerator will cause the RPMs to increase and will keep the car running. If the pedal is released, the RPMs will quickly drop, and the vehicle will stall. Sometimes, depending on how badly the idle air control valve is clogged, the vehicle may run correctly when the accelerator is pressed, but then sputter or stall when decelerating.
Rough Idle
  • If the idle air control valve has gone bad and no longer regulates the flow of air into the engine, typically due to the IAC being stuck open, the vehicle will idle roughly. A rough idle is characterized by shaking, vibrating and shuddering while the car is on but not moving. A rough idle due to a bad intake air control valve will eventually result in stalling immediately after starting the vehicle.

Thanks for posting that up!

Better then how I would explain it! Plus I just saw this!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:04 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
I drove it yesterday. I fired it up and let her run. No rough idle at any point. Before I took off, I used a can of starting fluid to spray down some of the hoses and around the engine to see if there are any vacuum leaks. No issues. I drove it down the road about a half mile and came back. I didn't want to go too far in case it stalled out. Nothing happened. So when I get some time I will change filters and fluids and check grounds. I don't want to replace parts unless I know they are defective.