Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AODE TC Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM
supergenius
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AODE TC Shudder

I have a 94 F150 5.0 with Aode

Did an oil change last night and whilst underneath it I noticed a mild leak from the rubber trans oil cooler hose. No biggie. Just a 6" section of hose up by the bumper (allows for flex and easy replacement of cooler I'm assuming). Well I replaced it and now I have torque converter shudder between 3 & 4 at 35-40mph. I had no Trans issues before hand, and it only lost about 2 0z of fluid during hose replacement. checked fluid and its not low. I've only driven it about 15 mi since. Will it cure itself? is there an air pocket in there or something? any ideas? Thanks in advance!

UPDATE:
Just took it for a drive because I know I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight thinking about this. Seems to be more noticeable in lower speeds. 25-30. So not limited between 3rd and 4th. All across the board. Replaced the U-joints and output shaft seal last week and had no issues, So I gotta assume that is unrelated. Tapping the Brake doesn't seem to deter the shudder, but its hard to tell because of the small window in which it occurs.

Please help!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
F-series trucks never came with an AODE. It's either an E4OD or 4R70W. Check the transmission code on the door jamb sticker.

Regardless, both transmissions are electronic controlled. Pull the codes.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:55 PM
supergenius
New User
Originally Posted by rla2005
F-series trucks never came with an AODE. It's either an E4OD or 4R70W. Check the transmission code on the door jamb sticker.

Thought it was an AODE because it says AODE on it.
Code on sticker is U

Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 PM
supergenius
New User
Originally Posted by rla2005

I think they are one in the same. Regardless, how do you pull trans codes?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:42 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 960 Likes on 760 Posts
Same way you pull engine codes since it's the same computer, find the EEC Test connector under the hood near the drivers side hood hinge and either plug in your code reader and follow the directions or put a jumper wire between the STI and Sig RTN pins, turn the key to run and count the flashes on the check engine light.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 PM
supergenius
New User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Same way you pull engine codes since it's the same computer, find the EEC Test connector under the hood near the drivers side hood hinge and either plug in your code reader and follow the directions or put a jumper wire between the STI and Sig RTN pins, turn the key to run and count the flashes on the check engine light.
Oh ok yea i've done that a few times prior. So I can have a trans code even though there is no CEL?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:34 AM
wtroger
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless you got a some trash in the line changing the hose of it shouldn't have caused this problem. Make sure it is TC shudder. When it does it just touch the brake pedal. If It stops instantly then yes it is TC shudder. If it is. Then change all the fluid to Mercon v and add a tube of Dr Tranny's shudder fixer. I am not a big fan of snake oil treatments but this stuff really works. It is a fiction modifier formulated for this problem.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:33 AM
easyridin
Junior User
Im having what i believe to be a similar problem in my !990 f150 AOD. it shutters in overdrive, at anyspeed under light to medium throttle. and this only occurs in overdrive the most significant shuttering occurs at 50 to 55, and it can almost throw the truck off the road, like it makes it almost completely undrivable

Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by supergenius

Oh ok yea i've done that a few times prior. So I can have a trans code even though there is no CEL?
Yes you can

Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
is there an air pocket in there or something?
No, there isn't an air pocket. The return from the cooler goes to lube the rear of the trans then is dumped to the pan. There was air when you changed the hose, but it was gone in the first few seconds after you started the engine.
Seems to be more noticeable in lower speeds. 25-30. So not limited between 3rd and 4th. All across the board. Replaced the U-joints and output shaft seal last week and had no issues, So I gotta assume that is unrelated. Tapping the Brake doesn't seem to deter the shudder, but its hard to tell because of the small window in which it occurs.
I think you're describing a misfire.

Thought it was an AODE because it says AODE on it.
Code on sticker is U
The W means it is a 4R70W.

I think they are one in the same. Regardless, how do you pull trans codes?
They are not the same transmissions, but they are very similar. The 4R70W evolved from the AODE.

Yes you can.
Originally Posted by easyridin
Im having what i believe to be a similar problem in my !990 f150 AOD. it shutters in overdrive, at anyspeed under light to medium throttle. and this only occurs in overdrive the most significant shuttering occurs at 50 to 55, and it can almost throw the truck off the road, like it makes it almost completely undrivable
That is also misfire. The AOD is immune from torque converter shudder. It can't happen in that transmission.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM
supergenius
New User
Originally Posted by easyridin
Given the speed, that sounds a lot like U-Joints. Check em if you haven't.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:35 PM
supergenius
New User
Just thought I would update:

Turned out the vibration was due to worm yoke and extension housing bushing. It probably went exponentially right after doing the U-joints because everything tightened up and that was the last sloppy thing left. Glad it wasn't a trans issue... and not every vibration is explained by misfire. So smoothly down the road we still go! for now..

Thanks for all the suggestions gentleman!