Rocker Panel to Tub Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Jeff55F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker Panel to Tub Treatment

Hello Folks,
I've dug in deep with a restoration of a 69 Bronco, and have a question regarding the fitment and treatment of the rocker panels to the tub. How did Ford finish this seam originally? Is there a small gap between the rocker and the tub, below the door striker, or is that gap filled with seam sealer before paint? This gap is similar to the tub and tail light housing in the rear of the Bronco.

Just curious how others have finished this detail. I've seen some that smooth it, others that fill it, and others that leave the gap with no seam sealer. How did it come from the factory?

I know, lots and lots of questions. Thanks for any reply.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:06 PM
GarySeven
New User
I was told that it is filled with seam sealer. Actually, I can look tonight, but I have an old factory Ford manual on the older Broncos and Econoline and it shows all the seam seal locations. On mine that I recently completed a frame off I did seam seal that seam (did not have the book then to verify, but went by what someone else told me). And it cracked some after paint because the body was painted off the frame and when I lifted it to move it around that seam parted some. It then closed back up once the body was on the frame, but still has a slight crack you can see if you look close. If you paint on the truck the seam should be fine sealed.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:11 PM
GarySeven
New User
I was trying to find some pictures of mine before paint, but no good close ups of the seam.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Jeff55F100
Senior User
Thanks for the reply and the pictures. I will be painting with the body on the frame, so I should avoid the issue of the seam flexing.

Pretty simple stuff, these Broncos, and people love 'em.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:48 PM
GarySeven
New User
I love mine. I'm 56 and wanted one back when they were new, but couldn't afford one. Here is mine now. Just finished it end of last year. Have 1800 miles on the restoration.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
body wrk, contacts, manual

Jeff,
You are pretty much in the middle of a good bronk area - BYOB (bring yer own bronco) is held there every yr, May, in Spencer. (A pretty big gathering/show'n shine/competition).
There is an on-line presence thru a bronco google group for parts and the event just named + all the rest (called BONES -bronk owners new england or some such). If U do what I do - hit the national forums for local contacts, U may find plenty guys for boots-on-the-ground comradeship, technical assistance and so forth. Give it a try…
Not sure U got in touch w/FTE's (this site's) geographic chapters for the same but we have an active one right here in MA. See the forum list at the big black horizontal line at the top of this page. Don will email back if you drop a msg on the email line.
I'm here in Amherst but BONES guys and even FTE MA Chapter guys R even closer. Contact me thru the email address in my sig below!

Gary,
never saw a Ford factory manual like U mention. love 2 C a scan of one page just to C where the seals were smeared on and what the notation looks like in the manual.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 PM
GarySeven
New User
Originally Posted by chrlsful
Jeff,
You are pretty much in the middle of a good bronk area - BYOB (bring yer own bronco) is held there every yr, May, in Spencer. (A pretty big gathering/show'n shine/competition).
There is an on-line presence thru a bronco google group for parts and the event just named + all the rest (called BONES -bronk owners new england or some such). If U do what I do - hit the national forums for local contacts, U may find plenty guys for boots-on-the-ground comradeship, technical assistance and so forth. Give it a try…
Not sure U got in touch w/FTE's (this site's) geographic chapters for the same but we have an active one right here in MA. See the forum list at the big black horizontal line at the top of this page. Don will email back if you drop a msg on the email line.
I'm here in Amherst but BONES guys and even FTE MA Chapter guys R even closer. Contact me thru the email address in my sig below!

Gary,
never saw a Ford factory manual like U mention. love 2 C a scan of one page just to C where the seals were smeared on and what the notation looks like in the manual.
You are going to drool. Ford shop manual published in 1968. Has all the dimensions, gaps, sealer info, trans rebuild, etc.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:24 PM
chrlsful
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
pages

yeah, the 3rd & 4th pages shown R interesting, thanks Gary.
Just wanted to C how they noted the sealer. Don't think I've seen that B4.
No droolin involved tho,