Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2007 Explorer won't turn over in bitter cold. Battery is fine

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 06:36 AM
djblank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Explorer won't turn over in bitter cold. Battery is fine

In temperatures around Zero when I put the key in dash light come on everything seems fine when try to start the engine it doesn't crank or turn over. The lights don't dim and it doesn’t seem like a dead battery, just to be sure I bought a new battery and I still have the same problem.

It will start and run fine in the afternoon when it’s a few degrees warmer but late night/early morning it’s completely unreliable. The battery is fine, it's like there is something not allowing to the car to turn over.

The dashboard alarm light is on constant when I’m trying to start it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Are the battery cables the OEM style molded cables and are they clean and tight at both ends (on the battery and also at the fuse block / engine block)?

-Rod

Old 01-14-2016, 05:14 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
explain dash board alarm light..."constant"... when cranking or running or both ?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 AM
djblank
New User
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
explain dash board alarm light..."constant"... when cranking or running or both ?
Constant while cranking.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:11 AM
V8SHO
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree about checking the connections at the battery. Make sure the terminals are clean from any corrosion and making good contact. Dirty terminals can definitely cause intermittent connection and no crank condition.

Also would be a good idea to check the starter as well. If the no start happens somewhere and you need to get it started, hit the starter a couple times and sometimes that will do the trick.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Sounds like an electrical relay is not functioning under the cold. Could be the starter relay. You could jump the starter when it fails to start when cold to rule it out. If it starts, that would give you a direction.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:05 AM
redfury
Senior User
Or you could have a bad ground or positive cable. The starter requires a lot of amperage, especially in the cold, the dash and lights-not nearly as much. You could try checking the voltage drop as you try to crank the engine. Otherwise you could have a starter that is going bad....the cold is binding it up, though usually you'd expect it to bind when warm/hot as cold shrinks metal...

Scratch all that, I overlooked the alarm light. I'm betting you have a problem with the security system in the truck. Have you tried starting it with another key?

Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 PM
djblank
New User
The battery and connection are fine. I've cleaned terminals and even switched batteries and put volt meter on battery when not cranking problem was occurring. before the problem and while it was going on with no change.

The past few days it's been warm in wisconsin so there's been no problem starting it. Thanks to this board and other people I have a few things to try when the problem comes back. they are:
1. electric test light to small power wire on starter to see if power is being sent to starter.
2. moving shifter to test neutral safety switch.
3. trying different key
4. holding key in "crank" position to see if starter warms from current. if test light lights.
5. hairdryer only on starter. again if test light lights.

Today was zero outside cold enough for the problem to occur but the car is starting fine. I will try again at 5 AM. If anyone can suggest anything else to try when the problem return. Hopefully the problem will return or I can try to figure out what it is or at least rule some things out. For now it's staying on the driveway because I don't want to be stranded.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
the "dash alarm light" I assume is the "theft light" ? When you turn the key to "on" the theft light comes on... when you try to start the truck, the theft light comes on... if you turn the key "on", but don't try to start, the light will go out in 3 seconds....... If that occurs, then your key and PATS system are talking to each other... If the light never goes out, you have a problem with PATS or key.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:19 AM
djblank
New User
Had some cold weather this past week but the problem did not comeback yet. Really makes me not want to drive the car. I don't want to replace anything unless I can test to see if it's bad.