Sponsored by:

Custom Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:39 PM
03V10Excursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Center Console

Have any of you built a custom center console for your Ex?

I've got to many toys that I want to mount and not enough dash space. LOL
DC to AC converter, CB, etc.

There is a bunch of space between the front of the stock console and the dash, and a TON of dead space under it.

I'm thinking about using wood.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:52 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Didn't build it, repurposed it from a Lincoln Navigator ( along with the rear bucket seats )

I put an inverter under mine and am still building the new panel that will house usb ports, 120v outlets, and a usb plug into to the entertainment system.

Edit.... Trying to upload a few pics buy my internet is wonky.... Anyhow... This was during test fitting and rebuilding it.... You get the idea

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2016, 11:53 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd for one be very interested to see the finished product on that center console from the Navigator. Nice idea.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:56 PM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It sounds as though the F650 lower dash might work for you without having to build something. I know some individuals were just talking about this recently.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:12 AM
anger65
Senior User
2nd the interest for more info on the navigator console. More pics?? How much did it have to be modded to fit to the lower dash in the ex?

Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
More pics please on the navigator console!!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 03V10Excursion
Have any of you built a custom center console for your Ex?
That space belongs to my wife for her large tote bag.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:20 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I found this pic on the interweds... it is a truck, but with an Expedition console installed. It is almost perfect, and with a little work would be seamless...

I really like this idea, I just need to find a console at a good pull-it yard

Also, if I remember right, there was a discussion on here once about moving the gear selector from the column, to the center console. That way, you could use the center from an F150 or other ford platform with the handle in the middle. Might be a fin project if it can be made to work.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
The expedition and the navigator share the same console base and the difference is in the inserts and trim.

There are 2 styles of bases that I know of. The slender base like mine which is used with seats with arm rest and the wide base which is used in vehicles without armrest seats. The wide base center consol is a new design and is more square and has a larger storage compartment and retractable rear cup holders.

As you you can see from the pics that USCG posted the fit is close but what keeps it from being even closer is the trash bag hook sticking out a little.

My plan is to shave the hook of the panel. The expedition also uses a piece of trim to fill the small gap, you can see it in my pic of parts.

The factory mounts do not line up with the excursion bolt holes so I will just put a few blind nuts in so I can use the mounts.

There is a gap along the floor in the forward part and my plan is to just make a simple fill plate. No big deal

When I got my console the side pockets were busted and I later found a grey console so I just nabbed the pockets and painted them.

You can also see where I have 4 carling switch mocked up and 2 gauges as well as a spot for the race radio

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2016, 05:31 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Fwiw.... The cup holder / junk tray on the left is from the navigator, when I got it it was nasty and faded so I painted it. The trash bag hook installed in the panel is also painted and the one on the ground is the factor color... Matches Close enough for me

Side pockets are painted and taped on while the glue is drying... Ford used weld rivets that have to be broken to get them off.

Edit..... Leather top in that ^ pic has just been stripped of pigment and is drying.... It will be reduced to match.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:38 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
The day I found the console in the junk yard I was really after seats.... The navigator has a pretty sweet rear console but I passed it up because the whole reason I wanted a second row bucket set up is to make a permanent home for my ARB fridge/freezer.

Almost done with the rear setup.... Just need to finish the cover for my amps which I moved.

Originally planned to cover the top in leather but the new paint job is growing on me.

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-10-2016, 06:03 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
Also, if I remember right, there was a discussion on here once about moving the gear selector from the column, to the center console. That way, you could use the center from an F150 or other ford platform with the handle in the middle. Might be a fin project if it can be made to work.
That was me. I will eventually do it too, it will just be awhile. I've actually been looking into it since the fire since I've had so much time on my hands

Old 01-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by USCG_PA
I found this pic on the interweds... it is a truck, but with an Expedition console installed. It is almost perfect, and with a little work would be seamless...
This mod was popular with the Gen 2 L crowd back in the day.

Here's the how-to thread that was created over at SVTP by my buddy Chris Nelson. Expedition Console How-To

None of the picture links work anymore (it was created 11 years ago) but there are a TON of part numbers listed that may help someone out.

Here are a couple pics from the mod done by others:

Name:  DSCF0245Medium.jpg
Views: 24259
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  DSCF0244Medium.jpg
Views: 24425
Size:  68.0 KB

Stewart

Old 01-10-2016, 06:25 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not mine.......
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 38783
Size:  65.0 KB

Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
since I don't own a camcorder to plug into the RCA jacks Or have a factory radio to control I ditched The stock panel and built my own ahead and built my own

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Custom Center Console