1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

new here a need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 03:51 PM
hawk232
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new here a need advice

So today went like this; my wife and I were leaving home depot (getting stuff for another project I am working on) when she says "Have you seen that old truck down venable that's for sale?" "no.... why?" "well, it just looks like the style of truck that you always talk about getting and its definitely a project like you like (what can I say, she knows me lol)" "ok... (still wondering where she is going with this)" "well I have been seeing it for the past several weeks and finally decided that, if you like it, we can get it" "WHAT?!?!?!?" so we drove to look at the truck. Turned out to be a 53 F100, and here are where the advice is needed.

It is DEFINITELY a project. lots of rust (rusted through, not surface rust) on hood, grill, doors, door sills etc...

I am not familiar with old trucks at all so I came home and started researching part availability. There seems to be quite a bit available for these trucks. The real question comes with potential parts that ARE NOT available aftermarket. What areas should I be looking at that are not available or are just difficult to repair??

I would also be interested to hear opinions on value. The truck is mostly complete (missing tailgate and maybe the occasional knick-knack). It has the engine (doesn't run) 3 speed trans (condition unknown) and rear end, the interior is rough but all there as well. The guy is asking 3k for it. Based on how faded the info is I am guessing he would take less for it. Any thoughts?

I should also mention my experience. I have never done a restoration like this. I have done several full boat restorations and I have built cars as well. I am proficient at welding (though I have not done sheetmetal repair), painting and general fabrication. I am confident that I CAN restore it, but SHOULD I?

Old 01-09-2016, 04:16 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lucky you that you have a supportive and encouraging wife. Based on the description of this particular truck, I'd say don't push that support. Values differ greatly dependent on what part of the country, or world you are. But again, based on the level of rust you described, and not running, it sounds more like a $500 donor, and maybe not even a good parts truck, rather than a good resto candidate. Sure, most anything can be saved, but like you asked, why should you be the one to pay too much for a project you may end up way over your head in, and have more money into than you could ever imagine to recoup. For 3K, or considerably less, there are still solid projects out there just waiting for someone like you and your loving wife to save. No sense jumping on the first truck you see, just because. My 2c.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:18 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That sounds pretty much like a '53 F100 that is near me and not far from the HD in Crystal River, FL. If by chance it is the same truck, look long and hard at it before making an offer. It needs much and is IMO, overpriced. Same truck?
Edit: That has to be the same truck. Let me know if you want to go look at it more closely and talk about it. I am just a couple miles from it, Pine Ridge.
I first saw the truck in July, 2015 and it had been sitting in that place for quite a while then.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:12 PM
hawk232
New User
same truck Ray (she realized it was dunkenfield not venable shortly after but I didn't want to mess up the story with details). I saw that it has been there a while. inside the truck is a sign that says 5k, then the side glass says 3500 and the front says 3k so it keeps going down. given its condition I was going to start at 1k of 1.5k and go from there.

since you have seen it what are your thoughts? is it even worth a restoration (period, regardless of $$)? I don't mind a bit of work and as strange as it is to say, since my wife "picked it out" I would be willing to do a little more than normal. I have learned through numerous builds that when I have the wifes support, the money seems to flow easier.... strange lol.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:41 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Based on what I have seen on other trucks from your area you will be looking at some extensive body work. Unless you are a body and fender guy this means that you are in store for a major hit to your wallet. Do your homework now, then decide whether this truck is right for you. I will guarantee you that your wife will be just as happy with a truck of the same vintage in good condition as she may be with this one. There are lots of clean, rust-free trucks out here in the Southwest and the cost of shipping one to FL is probably going to be a drop in the bucket compared to a trip to the body shop with a rusty truck.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

I spent about five minutes walking around the truck and realized it was nothing I wanted to work with. I did not look underneath or raise the hood. I did not evaluate it closely.
"Worth a restoration?" I kinda doubt it, at least not for me. I've played with rusted stuff before and now have the luxury of choosing what I want to work with.
I had my current '49 shipped after a trusted friend found it, pretty much rust free, and evaluated it for me. Shipping costs were way less than the problems and costs inherent with fixing any of the rusty candidates I had found. There are much better candidates available than that Dunkenfield Road truck, IMO.

Do you have a place to completely disassemble the truck, cab and bed off, for a multi year project? Do you have a MIG welder and willing to learn sheetmetal welding?
Does the owner have a clear title in hand?
Agree, it helps to have the wife's support in these old trucks. I think it is neat that she told you about it.
All this said, I will be glad to meet you there and we can evaluate the truck further. I am retired and available to run down there about any time. Or, we can GTG over a cup of coffee.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Hawk,
Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck site on the World Wide Web! I will let Ray give you guidance... But this I can say: Don't get rid of that wife! She is a keeper! If she picked this one out for you she would not be adverse to the two of you sitting down at the computer and looking for Western trucks. As has been said before that would save you money in the long run.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
Welcome to the forum. That sounds pretty much like a '53 F100 that is near me and not far from the HD in Crystal River, FL. If by chance it is the same truck, look long and hard at it before making an offer. It needs much and is IMO, overpriced. Same truck?
Edit: That has to be the same truck. Let me know if you want to go look at it more closely and talk about it. I am just a couple miles from it, Pine Ridge.
I first saw the truck in July, 2015 and it had been sitting in that place for quite a while then.
Ray, you are good! Having just moved to FLA you have already scoped out a truck but could remember it from a newbies brief description!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:07 PM
hawk232
New User
so I really wasn't in the market for a truck just yet, if this one doesn't work I doubt I will be getting a different one now. I am in the middle of a FULL rebuild of a Kevlar speedboat right now...

Ray, I have 6 acres in Crystal River and, while I don't have a big shop yet, I have managed to make due with what I have! I do have a MIG and have done thin metal welding before, but never where warping mattered. I have not talked to the owner yet (was hoping to gain more insight on problem prone areas before I go back out there) but it is listed as having a clean title. I would love to get together, either to look at that truck, or just to look at yours!!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:27 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

OK, I'll let you call where and when we GTG. I'll bring Blue, the '49. I like water craft as well. Boating, fishing and seafood is what we really like about the Crystal River area. We used to come over here from the Orlando area a lot.
Make a couple more posts and you should have PM feature of the forum.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
hawk232
New User
once I have PM abilities I will shoot you one, or send me an email at heckman.david@yahoo.com

I am a certifiable boat nut... I have a flats boat, a sailboat (that I just finished a full restoration on), a speedboat that I am currently building, a kayak and a paddleboard and I am currently looking to get a trimaran sailing kayak!!

I have spent hours researching now so I may head over there tomorrow now that I know just a little more about what I am looking at. I would still like to hear particular areas of interest that I should look at (even with Ray's generous offer, I still need to learn these things for myself)!

Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 AM
hawk232
New User
hmmm... well I tried to reply with my email address but that post suddenly had to be approved before it will post, that was last night. I guess it detected the email as possible spam?? Amazing how automated things have become