Official Ford Forum : Ask an Engineer Weekly Q&As with Ford Engineers!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-150: What’s New

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
1. Why is the fuel economy from the truck's computer off by so much? It is always way higher than calculated. Everyone complained about the gallons used on the '15's being way off and you just removed that feature from the display for the 16's. Why not fix it? It was very handy on my SD and it was very accurate. It was always within .4 gallons. When towing I could use the gallons to empty and based on my current fuel economy know exactly how far I could get before having to fill up. Even if I change DTE over to the towing setting, if your fuel consumption readings are that far off I have no choice but to fill up early. Looks like if the system worked so well on the SD's it shouldn't have been a big deal to use it on the F150s. I hate to drive the truck and get 20mpg on the display for a trip and then know that that doesn't mean anything because it's off.
Having to hand calculate fuel economy is stupid and old school. With all of the high tech electronics in the truck it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to give us accurate fuel economy readings.

2. Why do I now have to manually remove the trailer from the computer when I disconnect? Half the time I forget and it keeps putting miles on the trailer's trip odometer. None of my other Ford trucks trailer computer system worked this way.

3. This is just a complaint. I did not like having to buy the pro trailer assist package. Sure the window sticker says no charge but you increased the price of the max tow package to make up for it. It should be an option. I would guess that 90% will never use that feature

4. I like Sport mode and would use it more if you would have programmed the shift points different.It doesn't shift to 6th until over 60mph. The "no lag" programming of the sport mode is great. What all does sport mode change- just the drive by wire delay or does it also change power levels? Is there any problems with towing with sport mode if the truck isn't excessively downshifting?

5. Finally- every time I buy a John Deere product I get a survey in about 6 months. On this survey I can indicate what I like and don't like about the product. Deere then makes changes to their new models based on customer feedback. Why does Ford not do these kinds of surveys? All that we every get are surveys about my experiences at the dealership.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
No spark plug info?

Ok I have another one. Has ford changed anything to help combat corrosion on their new aluminum trucks since the truck they built and has taken to auto shows that showed corrosion starting around bolts and pinch seams?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:42 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Good luck getting answers. Interested in all myself as I look for a replacement truck. P

Old 01-29-2016, 08:15 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by rsylvstr
Good luck getting answers. Interested in all myself as I look for a replacement truck. P

I know it looks it but I am not trying to be a pest or start anything. I am just the type that is more interested in longevity of vehicles.

Everyone always asks about payload, towing, HP, and iphone jacks. Every truck can haul and tow stuff and have all sorts of gaggets now days, that stuff doesn't interest me one bit.

I want to know how the truck is going to hold up, will it spit spark plugs like the early tritons? Will it rust/corrode out like all the superduties? Will the transmissions go out in 100K miles like the 4r100's are known for? How about mileage, we have been hearing about 20mpg+ for years now but it seems hard to get.

Why are the boxes so weak? You can't kneel on the boxsides anymore or they will dent. Why are the box sides so tall? You can't stand next to the truck and reach over the side and grab something off the bottom of the box?

Stuff like that I wonder.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:58 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Snowseeker, hard to tell from that picture, but is that corrosion, or is it some kind of gasket material/caulking between the steel bolt and washer and the aluminum panel?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:24 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Snowseeker, hard to tell from that picture, but is that corrosion, or is it some kind of gasket material/caulking between the steel bolt and washer and the aluminum panel?

That is what underlying corrosion looks like with aluminum panels.

There was all kinds of pictures of it on the internet when the first aluminum fords were at shows.

But this is nothing new, aluminum panels have been used on many many vehicles for many many years now.

Ford already has a history of aluminum defects before the F150 hit the streets. By the looks of the pics of the auto show trucks nothing has changed but I didn't want to assume so I asked if anything was changed since those trucks were built?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Ford Trucks
Official Ford Trucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engineer Answer

Here's what the engineer had to say:

"Primarily for packaging. Conical seat can package in a smaller space."

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I have so many questions but I'll hold back to just one that has been bothering me forever.

Why is ford still using taper seat spark plugs especially with aluminum heads?

Old 06-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot