2014+ Transit 2014+ full size Ford Transit Van, Wagon, Cutaway and Chassis-Cab

Here We Go Again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:04 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here We Go Again...

Now I've got a grinding noise in the front suspension or brakes on my 15 Transit. We just got the passenger side lower ball joint successfully replaced and have been driving it happily for a couple weeks, and now the new issue.

We're taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I hope this isn't developing into a pattern. My wife said it has been doing it for two days, starting out intermittently making a noise. She called me this evening and said it has progressively gotten worse and loud, and does it every time. I'm getting ready to test drive it just to see if it is even safe to carry my wife and kids.

I love this van, but I've never had a vehicle go in the shop with back to back issues this quickly. Heck, I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle in my life with less than 60,000 miles that had issues closer than 6 months apart. Most of my vehicles have been pretty reliable. Also, this is the first I've ever had with any kind of suspension problems, other than normal wear and tear at the expected mileage range. I dunno. Just scratching my head.

I'll post up when I figure out what's going on.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
Update: I just drove it, and it has horrendous grinding coming from the rear, mainly at the left rear. The left rear rotor looks like it has had the hell gouged and scratched out of it. The right rear looks better, but still not good. The left rear is definitely rubbing when the vehicle is rolling and the brakes are not being applied. It feels like the right rear may be doing it too, but it isn't as pronounced as the left rear.

I reported to my dealer awhile back that the rear brake dust was FAR more than I've ever experienced with any vehicle. It is so bad that when I've cleaned the rear wheels, the thick black dust reappears within three days. It is so bad, it is pitting the surface of the wheels. They claimed to check with Ford, including sending them pictures, and said they were told it was normal and just to clean them frequently. I told them at the time I could not imagine that as normal, and was certainly nothing like I've ever experienced. I honestly don't know if that is related, but something serious is going on with those rear brakes, and it has been developing for some time. I'm wondering if they even inspected them when I complained about the brake dust.

Anyway, the dealer handled the ball joint situation and other small issues very well, so far, and has treated us very well, too, so I do have confidence in them. I'm just starting to wonder about the quality of the parts on this thing.

We're taking it into the dealership in the morning.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I'll be interested seeing how this issue with your Transit works out. While I'm not really ready to throw down a ton of money for a new and so-far unproven vehicle should I acquire one in the future.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:36 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyFan
...Anyway, the dealer handled the ball joint situation and other small issues very well, so far, and has treated us very well, too, so I do have confidence in them. I'm just starting to wonder about the quality of the parts on this thing.

We're taking it into the dealership in the morning.
It sounds like you have an excellent dealership, IndyFan; keep us in the loop moving forward. How many miles are on your Transit currently?

Crystal

Old 01-08-2016, 08:10 PM
IndyFan
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordService
It sounds like you have an excellent dealership, IndyFan; keep us in the loop moving forward. How many miles are on your Transit currently?

Crystal
Yes, they've done a good job, and our specific service adviser is a great guy, too. We've got 31k miles on it.

The good news: Nothing broken. I was dead wrong.

The bad news, the rear pads were completely worn out and they ruined the rotors. 400 bucks. Ouch! The rear brakes are good as new, now, though.

More good news: Front pads are in great shape.

More bad news: 31k miles to utter destruction of the pads?? I'm not impressed. I've noted on my maintenance log to check them again at 45k and every 5k afterward.

Even more bad news: Ford apparently hasn't used audible wear indicators on their brake pads in a long time. It would have saved me some money and a headache. I asked if they could put Wagoner Thermoquiet pads on it instead of the OEM, in the hopes of getting rid of the soot (brake dust) problem, but the Thermoquiets sent by O'Reilly Autoparts to the dealership did not fit properly, so we went back to the OEM's. Hopefully Wagoner or whoever will correct that by the next time I need pads and I'll do it myself.

My Jeep wore out the rear pads first, I think thanks to aggressive traction control, but in about 60k miles. I've since put 40k on Wagoner Thermoquiet pads and they don't show any wear at all. Best of all, they produce virtually no brake dust.

Anyway, she's back on the road, and as usual, as soon as I started driving it, that EcoBoost put a huge smile back on my face. That engine and the way this van drives is like taking a happy pill, to me. I know I say it all the time, but man, I wish I could put that engine in my Jeep! Maybe if I win the Powerball??

Old 01-11-2016, 09:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...Anyway, she's back on the road, and as usual, as soon as I started driving it, that EcoBoost put a huge smile back on my face. That engine and the way this van drives is like taking a happy pill, to me. I know I say it all the time, but man, I wish I could put that engine in my Jeep! Maybe if I win the Powerball??
I'm glad to hear that you're back behind the wheel, IndyFan. If you need any assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Crystal

Old 04-09-2016, 05:40 AM
dihedralboy
Junior User
On my F150 (2012) I have an open axle with electric locker.

I hear the ABS traction control very easily if I take off on slippery conditions. I soon as I hear it I let off the gas rather than let it burble away making the ABS sound.

On your Transit are you a regular axle or a LS axle?

Also is this winter driving with lots of wheel spin? Just curious as my F150 hasn't gone through pads yet, I am close to 55K miles.

I would think it's the traction control eating your pads. What a pain!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:31 PM
Joker28car
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
I'll be interested seeing how this issue with your Transit works out. While I'm not really ready to throw down a ton of money for a new and so-far unproven vehicle should I acquire one in the future.
I wouldnt have one of those Transits!!!! They are junk!!!! I have a 2006 E-250 witha 4.6l in it. I bought it with a 189000 on it. All I did was replace the spark plugs and coil packs and I change the oil. She runs perfect!!!! Has 208000 on it now and coming up on 209000!!! Only problem I have had is the A/C hose went bad and the compressor is going bad. But with almost 210000 on it, I would say the compressor did its job for king and country. Ford made a HUGE MISTAKE taking the E-Series away!!! I will never own a TRANSIT or as I like to call them TRANSJUNK!!!!

Old 05-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Joker28car
New User
Yes, they've done a good job, and our specific service adviser is a great guy, too. We've got 31k miles on it.

The good news: Nothing broken. I was dead wrong.

The bad news, the rear pads were completely worn out and they ruined the rotors. 400 bucks. Ouch! The rear brakes are good as new, now, though.

More good news: Front pads are in great shape.

More bad news: 31k miles to utter destruction of the pads?? I'm not impressed. I've noted on my maintenance log to check them again at 45k and every 5k afterward.

Even more bad news: Ford apparently hasn't used audible wear indicators on their brake pads in a long time. It would have saved me some money and a headache. I asked if they could put Wagoner Thermoquiet pads on it instead of the OEM, in the hopes of getting rid of the soot (brake dust) problem, but the Thermoquiets sent by O'Reilly Autoparts to the dealership did not fit properly, so we went back to the OEM's. Hopefully Wagoner or whoever will correct that by the next time I need pads and I'll do it myself.

My Jeep wore out the rear pads first, I think thanks to aggressive traction control, but in about 60k miles. I've since put 40k on Wagoner Thermoquiet pads and they don't show any wear at all. Best of all, they produce virtually no brake dust.

Anyway, she's back on the road, and as usual, as soon as I started driving it, that EcoBoost put a huge smile back on my face. That engine and the way this van drives is like taking a happy pill, to me. I know I say it all the time, but man, I wish I could put that engine in my Jeep! Maybe if I win the Powerball??
There is no way a van should wear rear brake pads out and ruin the rotors at 31,000 miles!!!! That is ridiculous!!!! Take that P.O.S back up there and tell them to find you a jice low mileage E-Series van!!!! You'll be a whole lot better off!!! And the fact that they charged you 400 dollars to replace the brakes!!!! 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty? Never had a vehicle in my life wear out a set of pads with 31,000 miles!!!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joker28car
I wouldnt have one of those Transits!!!! They are junk!!!! I have a 2006 E-250 witha 4.6l in it. I bought it with a 189000 on it. All I did was replace the spark plugs and coil packs and I change the oil. She runs perfect!!!! Has 208000 on it now and coming up on 209000!!! Only problem I have had is the A/C hose went bad and the compressor is going bad. But with almost 210000 on it, I would say the compressor did its job for king and country. Ford made a HUGE MISTAKE taking the E-Series away!!! I will never own a TRANSIT or as I like to call them TRANSJUNK!!!!
Sounds like you can't afford one anyways

Old 05-26-2016, 08:58 PM
Joker28car
New User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Sounds like you can't afford one anyways
Yeah sure. I wouldnt pay 30,000 for one of them anyways. And your right. I cant afford a 30,000 vehicle. But that 6,000 dollar van (with cruise, tilt, A/C, towing package, tow hitch, rack and bins) does me just fine. You go on and pay 30,000 for one of them and while its in the shop more than its out, I'll be working and enjoying my 6,000 dollar investment.