1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Glass Question Tempered VS Laminated

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:34 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Glass Question Tempered VS Laminated

I'm looking for new vent windows. Checked local glass places and prices were from $90 to $140 each. And that is just for the glass. No installation.

So I look on line and it is more affordable even with shipping. I'm not sure what Macs, LMC or others are using but, some places give you the option of laminated like original or solid tempered which is recommended.

I know windshields have to be laminated. I'm talking about the door glass.

Also confused about color. I guess factory is a green tint. My factory vent glass is not really green. Not exactly clear either. Is it just faded?

I want to get the right stuff so asking for some advice.
Scott

Old 01-07-2016, 05:26 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Factory glass for our trucks was clear. Later, when tinted glass became optional, it was a light green tint. It was an option in cars through the 60's and probably into the 70's in lower ended vehicles, at least. If you're just replacing the vent windows, I'd stick with clear to match best. It would look goofy to have tinted vents next to clear glass for the rest of the truck. If you're doing all the glass, the tint is nice to reduce glare and heat/uv rays inside the cab.

All of the original glass was laminated. It's fine to stay with that if you want. As you noted, windshields still are. Fed safety laws don't allow them to be tempered. The rest of the glass in modern cars is tempered, and is tougher to break, but still can be broken. It wouldn't bother me to have laminated side/back glass in my truck.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:14 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory was not tinted. You may want to give Bob's Custom Auto glass a call, they are very knowledgeable. They want $295.00 for a complete set (windshield,side, vents and rear) which seems very reasonable. He will also sell individual pieces.

1951 1952 FORD TRUCK GLASS CLASSIC AUTO GLASS VINTAGE NEW PICKUP ANTIQUE, Bob's Classic Auto Glass-New Auto Glass Windows Windshields Rubber Seals for cars and trucks from 1920 to today

Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks, I didn't think mine looked green. Had to be sure.

My laminated original glass is not broken. It's delaminating.

I'll go with clear and best price as long as not China made.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
Local glass shop here in El Cajon makes all my glass. He did a buddy's 55 vent windows for not much money AND he installed the glass in the frames at no extra charge. I don't recall how much my buddy paid but I had the shop do all the glass for my 40 Ford coupe and it was very reasonable...I used the templates from Bob Drake and they matched them perfectly.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one thing I don't like about tempered glass is, if it breaks, it flys in a million pieces. I spent the better part of a day one time cleaning all the little tiny pieces out of my Vette. Someone wanted a $35 radar detector, should have left the car unlocked.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
I called a handful of places in Tucson. Some wouldn't do it and referred me elsewhere. The places that would do it wanted my old glass, which I have, as a pattern.

Quoted prices were pretty high and said installation would be extra. The reason I checked locally is because I heard things like you're telling me. Looks like I'll be ordering on line unless someone has a good place in Tucson they recommend.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Some years ago I had some paint peeling in the lower corner of my windshield so I pulled my windshield but forgot about those stupid tabs and cracked the original Ford glass. Not a happy camper. When I went looking for a replacement I couldn't find an auto glass company who would cut glass. I finally ended up going to a local shower glass company. It been a while but I think I had to bring my broke windshield for them to use as a pattern. They knew about the special windshield glass, it's a different glass than used in the sides and rear. $75 and a day later I had a new windshield. I think it was about ten years ago.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 466 Likes on 302 Posts
I just called my buddy and he said that the had all the glass made for his 55 (minus the windshield) for $200. That was all laminate which is a little cheaper because the only place in SoCal that does tempering is up in LA. OEM glass is laminate so that works out good. I could check with the shop tomorrow and see how much he charges for the vent windows...if it is better than what you can do then you might want to check the shipping costs from San Diego.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I prefer laminated because it stays intact when broke so you can have broken glass and not have a pneumonia hole plus if it is broke by some turd trying to get into you truck it takes more work on his part.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:51 AM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
One advantage of laminate is you can have it shaved down if it is cut too big, just went through this with the 51 f1 #2 build. Maybe my truck was different from the factory, but both the windshield and back glass were too tall, windshield was laminate so I was able to get that belt sanded down at a local glass shop. No such luck with the back glass, it is tempered so I had to have a new piece cut out of laminate using a template of the correct size. I still have to put my vent glass and side windows in, I hope they fit ok.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:19 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think about the glass shattering with tempered or being able to shave laminated down a little if needed.

Classic Truck Glass has the option of either for same price and prices with shipping aren't bad at all.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:41 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Definitely go with laminated. Tempered glass breaks as others have indicated with the least little chip. It is also quieter. Most high end vehicles these days use laminated in the door windows to keep outside noise outside.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be ordering laminated from an on line vendor.

Scott

Old 01-15-2016, 02:31 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with Laminated , had a local glass shop cut and fit the windshield and side glass . The two older guys that own the place even asked if they could install it just for the chance to play with the old girl .

Quick Reply: Glass Question Tempered VS Laminated