Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Battery for a 9th gen F-150

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 03:57 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Snacky
I am on my 3rd warrantied Napa battery in 1 year. Manager finally upgraded me without the extra pay. I expect it to go out soon and then I'll be getting another warrantied battery.

From what I've heard marine batteries are built with superior components. My next car battery that I purchase will be a marine battery.

That's what I like in mine but be sure to get a marine STARTING battery and not a deep cycle.

A deep cycle battery is not meant to tolerate high current for short periods of time like a starter motor would draw, but rather a moderate discharge over time like a trolling motor would do. It is however made to discharge quite a bit and be okay when you recharge it again.

A starting battery is the opposite. It's made to supply the high inrush current of a starter motor but won't tolerate being repeatedly drawn down and recharged again.

Now that being said this is just advice that I hear often. My personal experience is that I had a deep cycle in my Ranger for a couple years and it was fine.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Snacky
I am on my 3rd warrantied Napa battery in 1 year. Manager finally upgraded me without the extra pay. I expect it to go out soon and then I'll be getting another warrantied battery.

From what I've heard marine batteries are built with superior components. My next car battery that I purchase will be a marine battery.
It sounds like you have a draw on the system if you went thru 3 batteries in less than 12 months

Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM
96F150-4.9
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OPTIMA battery RedTop!! It'll run around $200 but well worth it. Comes with a 3 year warranty from AutoZone. Ive had my stereo On for a couple hours! Without starting the truck. And fired up like nothing when I left where I was. Starts every time.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
My Optima Red is about to turn 10.

From Summit, was well under $200

Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
My Optima Red is about to turn 10.

From Summit, was well under $200

10 year old optimas aren't the same as the new ones. I want to say about 5 years ago they shifted production to another facility in Mexico and they're just not the same. I'd avoid them, personally.

All I do for battery shopping is shop by cost first then warranty. I haven't bought one in a couple years now, but unfortunately the Walmart batteries always used to come up on top for me, and never gave me any problems.

Also, there are different batteries for different regions. The CCA ratings here in CA suck compared to what I could get in WI.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:41 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Had good luck with motorcraft or deka batteries. Long lasting & plenty of cranking power.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:04 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dixie460
Now that being said this is just advice that I hear often. My personal experience is that I had a deep cycle in my Ranger for a couple years and it was fine.
My understanding if a deep cycle battery will physically fit it should be ideal. They tend to be a lot bigger compared to an equivalent auto start battery though, is the problem. As you mentioned the reverse is not true, an auto start battery can not be used as a deep cycle it will get smoked in just a few heavy discharges. The high CCA is met by more plates/surface area, but they are real thin.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathRangerofDeath
10 year old optimas aren't the same as the new ones. I want to say about 5 years ago they shifted production to another facility in Mexico and they're just not the same. I'd avoid them, personally...
I've installed 2 others in other vehicles & when this one is replaced (it sat out for 5 months & tested at one needles width into the "Weak" division on my load tester"), I'll go for another.

Optima (as a high visibility tech company) isn't going to let any sort of bad QA issues go for any length of time just to save a few pennies. If there was any sort of issues reported either internally or out, I feel sure it was corrected.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM
AZFX4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put Red tops in my daily drivers and yellow tops in my toys and have never had a single issue. Long lasting and dependable.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, I went through 2 AGM's in 3 years on the Orange one. First was a Canadian Tire one, and the Second was a Excide.

Maybe used the damn thing a total of 200km.

Think a yellow top would be better suited for my "Toy"?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 PM
AZFX4
Senior User
The yellows seem to hold up better to long periods of being parked.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Excellent, guess I know what's next

Old 01-07-2016, 02:11 PM
sgip2000
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 96F150-4.9
OPTIMA battery RedTop!! It'll run around $200 but well worth it. Comes with a 3 year warranty from AutoZone. Ive had my stereo On for a couple hours! Without starting the truck. And fired up like nothing when I left where I was. Starts every time.
My $200 optima died just after the warranty was up. Big waste of money!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 AM
boggerted
Posting Guru
As previously stated there are really only three manufacturers of batteries-Johnson Controls, Exide, and Deka. JC is by far the largest, manufacturing batteries for interstate, optima, everstart, diehard, duralast, autocraft, and other smaller names. Deka makes many of Carquest and Napas batteries, and Exide makes their own brand plus some Napa (napa may have transitioned completely to deka by now).

Optima, as others have stated are definitely not the same batteries quality wise that they were a decade ago. They have been mediocre at best since being acquired by JC and I personally wouldnt spare the extra $$ for them. If you like AGM batteries, any of the "platinum" grade batteries that have AGM technology are as good if not better than an Optima. Plus, since they are flat plate instead of spiral, they actually fit your battery tray without special adapters.

Be aware that many AGM batteries have less CCAs than a premium flooded acid battery by virtue of design. It is only a number, though, and AGMs definitely have the advantage of never leaking and typically last longer. But no battery is going to last with a poor charging system and dirty connections.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:21 AM
boggerted
Posting Guru
Oh, and if you are the gambling type, buy an Odyssey battery. A handful of them are amazing and last forever, but many of them die very prematurely and their warranty customer service is some of the worst Ive ever seen. I have yet to see Odyssey actually accept fault and replace a customers battery.

Quick Reply: Best Battery for a 9th gen F-150