Sponsored by:

Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:22 PM
michaelg10
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carpet

I am in the process of redoing the interior of my recently acquired 7.3, and was hoping for some pictures or advice on what the interior would look like with a darker carpet.

The interior is the medium Parchment common to the Limited X's, with the burnished wood accent trim and a light beige stock carpet. Its too much tan/beige for me and I want to break it up a little.

I am waiting for the seat covers to arrive so I can reupholster the front buckets.

After reading through the threads here about all the various carpet colors available (i.e. buckskin), I went ahead and ordered carpet samples from stockinteriors.

We received them today and narrowed down to two options (below).

What do you all think?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:44 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Since nobody is answering I will give my opinion. Either one will look fine.

Pick the one you like.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:30 AM
almercenter
Junior User
I would go with the shade that best matches any dirt you may encounter in your travels.
My $.02

Old 01-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I like the one on top...

No? Ok, I like the darker one personally but only if you get matching floormats of some nice weathertechs or something.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
If I took out my old carpet, I would put ceramic tile in there before I put replacement carpet back in. My kids have really done a number on the carpet I have. I would go with a plastic something-or-another if it were me.

Just found this on Auto-interior.com: Also Available In Molded Vinyl Floor Covering for your Ford Excursion. A rugged alternative to the Ford Excursion molded carpet is molded vinyl floor covering, and like the molded Excursion carpet, it is molded to your Ford Excursion's floor pan specific to it's year and model. Approximately 1/8" thick with a pebble grain. Extremely tough, easy to clean and as hard working as you are. You will also receive enough of the heavy 40 ounce jute pad to lay down in the floor pan area. Molded vinyl floor covering is available in 4 rugged colors that do not crack or fade.

http://www.auto-interior.com/vinylcolors.htm

Old 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd bed line before I put that vinyl stuff in there, work truck stuff... ick.

OP, I agree with Aaron on picking the color closest to the dirt and muck you encounter most frequently.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM
rock2610d
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I personally would try to dye your existing carpet. The OEM quality is very good.

I bought an Ex that had several years of St benard hair and spilt soda in it. Ended up removing carpet and using degreaser and pressure washer on it. Came out looking new

Dye it.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:24 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
There was this photo posted somewhere on one of these threads once upon a time, but for some reason I liked the idea of it...

So why not wood floors?

As for the carpet color, I would go with the darker color...

Old 01-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
HA! I like those wood floors for some reason...I shouldn't, but I do.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:19 AM
michaelg10
Junior User
Wow. I REALLY like the laminate flooring in the back. Never thought of that, it looks really good. I actually have a bunch of Pergo laminate left over from when I put flooring through most of my house and might try it out. (was trying to decide whether or not to use vinyl in the back because the kids might tear up new carpet )

The existing carpet is stained/smells like oil and needs to be replaced, its 200k/15 years old and at some point just need to replace it.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I like the darker carpet as well. I spoke with the carpet company and they have a +40% / plush carpet option available, and are sending me out samples. More to follow.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:34 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i think the darker shade would look cool. may match the factory wood grain

Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 PM
almercenter
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nicmike
If I took out my old carpet, I would put ceramic tile in there before I put replacement carpet back in. My kids have really done a number on the carpet I have. I would go with a plastic something-or-another if it were me.

Just found this on Auto-interior.com: Also Available In Molded Vinyl Floor Covering for your Ford Excursion. A rugged alternative to the Ford Excursion molded carpet is molded vinyl floor covering, and like the molded Excursion carpet, it is molded to your Ford Excursion's floor pan specific to it's year and model. Approximately 1/8" thick with a pebble grain. Extremely tough, easy to clean and as hard working as you are. You will also receive enough of the heavy 40 ounce jute pad to lay down in the floor pan area. Molded vinyl floor covering is available in 4 rugged colors that do not crack or fade.

Molded Vinyl Floor Covering Colors
I purchased this for my Ex. Still waiting to get back from body shop that needed finish up their shoddy paint work, replace the windshield, and install Bushwacker pocket fender flares.
Sending to an interior repair shop to get the Katzkinz put on all three rows when I get it back. They said "Don't get anything from Auto Custom Carpets; bad luck with their products." Turns out, that's where the above are from.
I couldn't find anything else, so I'm going to give it a try. I tried several avenues to find a OEM vinyl floor replacement as I was thinking they were put in ambulance/gov't models. No such luck.

I think I'm going to put down some Dynamat or Noiko sound deadening under the vinyl. I don't know if I want to let the interior installer do it while replacing seat covers or try myself? They already have a bad attitude about it and want $400 to put down the sound deadening!

I'll post updates on my build thread: Almost dream build

Old 01-08-2016, 08:29 PM
michaelg10
Junior User
Am going to put down raammat on the floor and secondskin butyl foil deadener on the roof. a layer of closed cell foam and foil faced jute padding under the carpet as well.

Do it yourself, its not hard with carpet and seats out.Just clean the surface put it down. Do not use the asphalt based quick roof you'll regret it.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:53 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by almercenter
I purchased this for my Ex. Still waiting to get back from body shop that needed finish up their shoddy paint work, replace the windshield, and install Bushwacker pocket fender flares.
Sending to an interior repair shop to get the Katzkinz put on all three rows when I get it back. They said "Don't get anything from Auto Custom Carpets; bad luck with their products." Turns out, that's where the above are from.
I couldn't find anything else, so I'm going to give it a try. I tried several avenues to find a OEM vinyl floor replacement as I was thinking they were put in ambulance/gov't models. No such luck.

I think I'm going to put down some Dynamat or Noiko sound deadening under the vinyl. I don't know if I want to let the interior installer do it while replacing seat covers or try myself? They already have a bad attitude about it and want $400 to put down the sound deadening!

I'll post updates on my build thread: Almost dream build

If you are going to do some sound dreading then you might as well pull of the plastic side panels and do the wheel wells where most of the noise resonates from. After you lay down your dynomat do a sound blanket over that. FYI.... Moving blankets are a cheap source of woven sound barrier but you can also buy the stuff on rolls if you prefer. . ( the stuff under your factory carpet ). Think of sound like air or water.... It will seap in past any cracks.

FYI..... To add another layer or barrier of sound barrier use a rubberized undercoat in your wheel wells.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The wood floor does look awesome, I've always liked the look. Super easy in our trucks too because of the flat floor