1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT- Best Grinder Cut Off Wheel ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:25 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

This is why I use a full face shield.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen that picture. There are many more like it. Like mentioned by several others these accidents result from improper use of some kind, human error of some kind and lack of PPE. No one should feel like these are dangerous tools in nature, but they can be hazardous if used improperly or carelessly. I've been using an angle grinder for a long, long time. A lot of us have. I haven't had an injury. But I do have a very healthy respect for the machines.

Like I mentioned earlier I upgraded my face shield. My old one was the typical head band with a curved frameless light shield attached. I ordered a Uvex Bionic. I haven't received it yet, but it looks stronger and more comfortable. I'll also look like an astronaut, which is always awesome: ).

Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool looking face shield. Seems that it might cover some of the neck area also. Much better to look like an astronaut than that fella in the pic.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:20 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Nick that is the type I am getting I have the other one you mentioned but it is a thick face shield unlike some others. I can step on the lens and it will not break.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
It seems that for a disk to embed in an operators face like that that the operator would have to have had his face somewhere in line with the disk. I don't know how others operate but with me I never have my face in the same plane as the rotating disk.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:30 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got my new grinder setup yesterday and been playing with it this morning. I really like the SAIT Ultimate Cut wheels. One thing I noticed right away was how smooth a new wheel feels on the first cut. For whatever reason the Diablo cut off wheels I was using before seemed to be a touch out of round and felt a little jumpy on the first cut with a new blade then they would smooth out after a little cutting. This is what started me to looking for better wheels in the first place, then it sort of cannonballed. The SAIT wheels feel great. Its to early to comment on the durability. I'm too lazy to do any sort of actual scientific comparison. But I do think they last longer from what little time I actually used them. I'm going to stick with theese. They are made in the USA.

The Metabo grinder is really nice. I'm pleased. It is about the same size and shape as the Makita it replaced and about the same weight. So I'm used to the size. The Metabo seems to have considerable less vibration. One thing I really like is that the shield can be rotated without tools. There is a lever with a tension spring that can be pulled and the shield rotates to several different notched positions (red arrow in pic below). This was on the expensive side but I'm happy with the purchase. The I/O switch and guard level feel high quality. The I/O switch deserves mentioning. It looks like a typical locking slider. But it works a bit different. If you prefer a momentarily contact type switch it works that way. Slide it up and the grinder turns on, release and it shuts off. I prefer a locking switch. It will operate like that too. Slide it up and push the switch in. It locks on. A second push shuts it off. Nice. It has some sort of safety clutch that operated in case of a jam i guess, not planning on trying out that feature. They are made in Germany.

The Uvex Bionic is also nice. It makes my old one seem like a joke. It is light and comfortable. It has ratchet detents on the headband just like my work hardhat. The face shield rotates up and down also with ratchet detents and the lowest stop position can be adjusted so it stops in the same place the user selects each time. That way its resting on a stop in the down position. It offers neck protection as well. I'm very happy with it. It is made in the USA.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:37 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
Very impressive, I will be buying some of these wheels to try out. I have used SAIT wheels previously on my angle grinder and my pneumatic die grinder with great success, not as readily available or as affordable but they do work well. I like the made in USA too.
Amazon will deliver them to you:
http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_...nid=2941120011

Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by petemcl
Thanks Pete. I am a Prime member and use Amazon extensively but if you do a search on the SAIT 22235 part number you will find the prices I posted earlier. I have found that while Amazon usually has the best prices, and always the best delivery services, sometimes the items they carry are supplied by outside vendors who don't share Amazon's commitment to low prices. I did order one of those sweet Uvex face protectors from Amazon yesterday...it will be delivered today. Don't know how they do it but I like it.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:34 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I've had decent luck with the HF cheapo cut off wheels. As been mentioned many times in this thread, the majority of accidents are caused by "pilot error". That being said, and this has been mentioned also, sometimes something might startle you and you could jerk or twist a bit. It only takes a second for things to go terribly wrong.
I've seen several hand held grinder accidents, none of them pretty.

As for that idiot with the 8" wood cutting blade on his grinder.....that moron deserves to lose his fingers. Maybe without fingers he won't be tempted to try that again, even if he did he wouldn't be able to pick up or hold onto the tool.

Since we're talking grinders... ...how many of you have accidentally taken all the skin off the knuckle of your left hand (or right hand if you are left handed) with your grinders? Show of hands? anyone?

Be careful out there
Bobby

Old 01-09-2016, 12:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Many years ago, before angle grinders as we know today existed, I was using a body grinder and a thick (by today's standards) 8 inch fiber wheel to cut off a rear quarter panel from a Vega...mid-70's timeframe. I was sitting on the ground cutting sideways on the door jamb/rocker area when the wheel kicked out of the cut and hit me on top of the left knee. It burned through my Levis and made a trough in the muscle at my knee. No blood, the cut was instantly cauterized. I still have the remnants of a scar on that knee and every time I notice it I chuckle when I think about how many situations I have been in throughout my 60+ years that could have gone VERY wrong but didn't. They say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"...I believe this to be true and consider myself fortunate to have lived through them. This event was far from life-threatening but whenever I am in a situation where I can envision something going south I remember that day and it makes me a bit more cautious.