1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best All-terrain tires for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 AM
CollinsCD
Hotshot
Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts
Lots of great info Jon. I'm in the same boat as I need tires for winter too. Although around my neck of the woods we haven't had a winter as of yet.

I was leaning towards the Cooper A/T3 but might be looking at the BFG T/A KO2 for my truck. Decisions decisions.......

Old 01-07-2016, 06:46 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RedDevil460
Thanks for pointing those out. I looked at Falken's website and I couldn't find the Rocky Mountain tires. So not sure they still offer them or what. I looked up a few pictures, and they look like nice tires though.

Try 'Wild Peak'. They are the same tire and made by Falken. Don't know why they have 2 names for the same tire.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:51 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I like RightWingNutjobs setup. If I were going to have a dedicated set of tires for winter, I'd get a snow tire, and have at least the rear ones studded. Keep in mind that the studs may not be good for hard cornering if the road is wet or dry, and the studs do make noise on dry roads. But you should be able to go pretty much anywhere unless the snow is deeper than the bottom of the bumper.

I have the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's and like them very much in the snow.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM
OhioGregg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=RedDevil460;15926315]Awesome, thanks for the pics and review Gregg! Those tires do look really good on your truck, and glad to hear that you like them. That's great that they're quiet too. I don't mind a little bit of tire noise, but it'd be nice to have something quiet after how loud my current tires are. Mostly do to the fact that they are old and worn very badly.

Just curious, where'd you get that all chrome grille from? Even though I've already got the 05+ grille, I've just always thought that the old grilles looked better all chrome, instead of with the black plastic in the middle, but I've never really seen them for sale anywhere online. I've only seen a few other trucks with them, just think they look better than old style stock grille.

Yeah it has been an unusual winter so far, hardly any snow, and warm temps too. Where are you located at in Ohio? I'm in Northeast Ohio, about an hour east of Cleveland, in Geauga County.

I can't remember what seller it was I got the grille from, but was on Ebay. I too was leaning and debating on the 05-07 grille swap, when I happened upon this early all chrome.

I live in northwest Ohio, south of Findlay. I am kinda familiar with the C****** area though. My Ex GF lived up there between Painesville & C******. LOL

All this talk of winter vs. summer tires got me to thinking of past vehicles I have had, and what I had on them. My first 4x4 was a 1979' Jeep CJ5 that I ordered new from factory. I put larger white spoke rims & tires on it most of the time, but in winter I had some factory steel rims and Firestone Town & Country mud & snow tires. Non radials. They were the best snow tires I have ever used. LOL

Had a 1978 F150 4x4, small lift on it. I did same with it. Larger chrome rims, & big tires. But had factory wheels & Goodyear Wrangler radials on it in winter. I had a 1992 Ranger 4x4 I put B.F. Goodrich radial TA's on, several sets, in 200,000+ miles. I liked them very much, so I know they have a big following.

Gregg,

Old 01-14-2016, 08:31 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Hey guys, sorry I haven't updated in a few days, but I finally decided on the Cooper A/T3's. I've heard a lot of good things about them, and you guys had good reviews on them, so I wanted to give them a try. I also wanted a little bit of a different look than my current Duratracs, so the Cooper's gave me that and I like the look of them. They were also quite a bit cheaper than the Duratracs, so that was good. However I did make the last minute decision to go with 295/75R16's instead of the 285/75R16's. The 295's are almost an inch taller and a hair wider. Decided on those just because the Coopers are a little shorter than almost all of the other tires in 285's, and are a half inch shorter than the Duratracs. The 295's are a little taller than the 285 Duratracs. So I think they will look better, and will definitely make a difference once I go with the lift. The 285's would have really looked small with the lift.

But I guess the 295's are a bit of a rare size, so I had to pay for them. They ended up being $225 a tire, and extra $20 a tire than the 285's. But still cheaper than the Duratracs, and only an extra $80, so not too bad. I'm really excited to get new tires, and can't wait to get them on the truck! Ordered them last Friday and the tire guy will hopefully be getting them in tomorrow or Monday. So I should have them on sometime next week. Will definitely take some pictures and let you guys know what I think of them, once I get them on. Thanks for all your guys help along the way, much appreciated!

Originally Posted by CollinsCD
Lots of great info Jon. I'm in the same boat as I need tires for winter too. Although around my neck of the woods we haven't had a winter as of yet.

I was leaning towards the Cooper A/T3 but might be looking at the BFG T/A KO2 for my truck. Decisions decisions.......

Yeah we haven't had much of a winter either. Finally got our first big snow over the past few days, got about a foot. That's why I haven't really been a big rush for tires, definitely need them now though.

Those are both good tires. Like I said, I decided on the Cooper A/T3's, I'm hoping they're going to be good tires. They definitely look good, and I have heard a lot of good things about them. Tire decisions are always tough, lots of options out there.

Originally Posted by Diamnd1
Try 'Wild Peak'. They are the same tire and made by Falken. Don't know why they have 2 names for the same tire.

Thanks, I found them. Not sure why they have the different names for the same tire, definitely confusing. They look like a good tire. Will definitely keep them in mind for future tires.

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I like RightWingNutjobs setup. If I were going to have a dedicated set of tires for winter, I'd get a snow tire, and have at least the rear ones studded. Keep in mind that the studs may not be good for hard cornering if the road is wet or dry, and the studs do make noise on dry roads. But you should be able to go pretty much anywhere unless the snow is deeper than the bottom of the bumper.

I have the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's and like them very much in the snow.

I would have to agree, the best thing would probably be a dedicated snow tire. But I just couldn't make that happen right now. Don't want to get stuck with a snow tire come summer time, if I don't do the lift I was planning. With the lift I am planning to buy new, bigger tires to run in the summer anyways. If I knew for sure that I would be getting new tires in the summer than I would definitely get snow tires. Not sure if I would get studs or not, not sure that I would like them on dry pavement.

Glad to hear that you like the Cooper A/T3's. Hoping I like them as well. Really excited to get them on the truck!

[QUOTE=OhioGregg;15926686]
I can't remember what seller it was I got the grille from, but was on Ebay. I too was leaning and debating on the 05-07 grille swap, when I happened upon this early all chrome.

I live in northwest Ohio, south of Findlay. I am kinda familiar with the C****** area though. My Ex GF lived up there between Painesville & C******. LOL

All this talk of winter vs. summer tires got me to thinking of past vehicles I have had, and what I had on them. My first 4x4 was a 1979' Jeep CJ5 that I ordered new from factory. I put larger white spoke rims & tires on it most of the time, but in winter I had some factory steel rims and Firestone Town & Country mud & snow tires. Non radials. They were the best snow tires I have ever used. LOL

Had a 1978 F150 4x4, small lift on it. I did same with it. Larger chrome rims, & big tires. But had factory wheels & Goodyear Wrangler radials on it in winter. I had a 1992 Ranger 4x4 I put B.F. Goodrich radial TA's on, several sets, in 200,000+ miles. I liked them very much, so I know they have a big following.

Gregg,

Thanks for the info Gregg! That grille does look really good. Really like the whole front end of your truck, looks clean.

Oh ok. Huh, small world, funny that you know the C****** area. I've lived here all my life, really like it here. When was the last time you've been here? I'm sure its changed a lot since then. Its really been built up in the last few years.

Thanks for sharing some stories about your old vehicles, always like hearing those. I'm sure they don't make those tires like they used to. A lot of stuff is like that now, can't beat the old stuff. Sounds like you've owned a good variety of vehicles, any favorite out of all of them?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Kalabin
Mountain Pass
Just another thought, if your looking for a mainly winter "All-Terrain" type of tire I would check out the Copper Discoverer M/S. We use these at work in our fleet ranging from service vans to F450's.

Cooper Discoverer M/S

Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Update: Turns out the 295's really were a rare size! My tire guy couldn't find them anywhere, pretty sure they were checking through the whole country haha. Could only find 2! I was worried about that, when I first decided to go with that size, I figured they weren't all too common. So I ended up having to go with the 285's that I was originally looking at. Still getting the Cooper AT3's. Oh well not a big deal, I think they will still look good. And I'll be saving more money than.

Should be getting them on tomorrow! Will definitely get some pictures up once they are on!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Update: Turns out the 295's really were a rare size! My tire guy couldn't find them anywhere, pretty sure they were checking through the whole country haha. Could only find 2! I was worried about that, when I first decided to go with that size, I figured they weren't all too common. So I ended up having to go with the 285's that I was originally looking at. Still getting the Cooper AT3's. Oh well not a big deal, I think they will still look good. And I'll be saving more money than.

Should be getting them on tomorrow! Will definitely get some pictures up once they are on!
Photos for sure please?!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:05 AM
OhioGregg
New User
RedDevil, It has been a while since up in your neck of the woods. 2004 I'm thinking. I did get to use my AT3's in snow here while back. Had no problems whatsoever. That was using 2 and 4 wheel drive. Pleased so far.

Kalabin's pic and suggestion of their M&S tire is interesting. I had thought of getting those also. I must not understand tire tread design or whatever, the AT3's seem to have a much more aggressive tread design than the mud & snows. LOL

I think you will like them just fine.

Gregg,

Old 01-22-2016, 12:13 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Alright guys I got some prices today. All of these are per tire and include mount and balance. I could probably get them cheaper per tire online, but once you factor in at least $20 or $25 for mount/balance, or especially if I'd have to pay shipping, I'd say they are pretty good prices. Let me know what you guys think on the prices.

• Yokohama Geolander AT-S - $180 Only a D range tire, and I didn't ask for these, must be something he has a lot of or keeps in stock. I'd say its a really good price for these, too bad I'm not all that interested in them, haha.
  • Hankook Dynapro AT-M - $195
  • Cooper Discoverer A/T3 - $205
  • Toyo Open Country A/T II - $225
  • BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 - 240
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac - $249

Like I said I don't think those prices are bad at all, with including mount/balance. My top two picks are still the Cooper's and the Duratrac's. Kind of leaning towards the Cooper's, but not sure. They would be kind of cool because they would give me a different look than what I'm used to with the Duratrac's, and are still a good looking tire. They are also, just something that I want to try, since I've heard so much good about them. And they'd be different. I swear I see Duratrac's everywhere, and I know a lot people run the BFG's. Of course I know there's a reason so many people run those tires, but I like to be different most of the time. Also the Coopers would save me about $200 vs going with the Duratrac's, which would be nice.

So what would you guys choose with the Cooper's vs the Duratrac's? How about with factoring price? And what would you choose out of that whole list while factoring in price? Anything that jumps out as a really good price or not such a good price? Thanks again for all the help guys, really appreciate it.
Imo those prices are way too high. Check out Costco or SAMs club. I paid a bit over 850 for the bfgs in my sig which includes road haz and every thing at Costco. On top of it I get 2 percent back on the purchase which covers the member ship.

I came to the new tko from the old tko...the new tko is fin awesome on all conditions especially ice and really deep snow.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OhioGregg
RedDevil, It has been a while since up in your neck of the woods. 2004 I'm thinking. I did get to use my AT3's in snow here while back. Had no problems whatsoever. That was using 2 and 4 wheel drive. Pleased so far.

Kalabin's pic and suggestion of their M&S tire is interesting. I had thought of getting those also. I must not understand tire tread design or whatever, the AT3's seem to have a much more aggressive tread design than the mud & snows. LOL

I think you will like them just fine.

Gregg,

Yeah, its changed quite a bit since then. Can't remember exactly when we got everything, but we've got a Walmart and a Home Depot now, as well as a few other major retail stores. A bunch of restaurants and such as well. Its really been built up a lot in the last decade or so.

Glad to hear that the A/T3's did well in the snow. I'm liking them so far, haven't gotten to test them out too much, but did pretty good on my snow covered driveway.

The M+S is Cooper's winter tire. I've heard good things about them as well. The A/T3's have a cleaner look to them, but still have a pretty aggressive looking tread, with big lugs.

Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Imo those prices are way too high. Check out Costco or SAMs club. I paid a bit over 850 for the bfgs in my sig which includes road haz and every thing at Costco. On top of it I get 2 percent back on the purchase which covers the member ship.

I came to the new tko from the old tko...the new tko is fin awesome on all conditions especially ice and really deep snow.

Idk, I didn't think they were too bad. Those were all including mount and balance. If I were to order a tire online, I would have to pay for the tire and then take it somewhere and pay to have it mounted and balanced. So with all the prices I found online, and then adding $20-25 for mount and balance, all the prices I listed were pretty much right on. And then if I were have to pay for shipping, it would have been even more. I got them from our tire guy at work, which we use for all of our tires and is trusted, so I felt comfortable with going with him. I didn't check anywhere else local for this reason.

I do really like the BF Goodrich KO2's as well, but am considering running them in the summer. So just wanted to try something different in the winter, and the Cooper's were cheaper.

Got the tires on Friday. A very different look than the Duratracs, just weird because I've never seen my truck with anything else. They are a lot cleaner look than the Duratrac's, but still have a good looking tread. I really like the look of them, the more I look at them the more I like em! They looked a little small at first, but its hard to tell. I think the more aggressive tread of the Duratrac's made them look bigger. Haven't really been on a good level surface yet, and there's too much snow on the ground at home, and I've got a little weight in the bed, so its hard to tell for sure. I think they still look good though! Its just a different look, which I like. Its nice to finally see some tread on my truck haha.

Haven't driven that much on them yet, but they feel very smooth. They are a lot quieter than the Duratrac's, with very little tire noise, which I was hoping for. Seem to have good traction too, with just playing around a bit in the snow in the packed snow in the driveway. So far I'm happy with them. I'll say more once I get some more miles on them.

So now to what everybody's been waiting for.... pictures! haha

With the old Duratracs. Older pictures

Out with the old..... Tires on right were on the front, not as bad. Tires on left were on the back, very bald.

And in with the new.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
On the truck!

Old 01-24-2016, 10:04 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Old 01-25-2016, 07:40 AM
OhioGregg
New User
Looking Good !!! I noticed that you must have switched your auto lock hubs to manual also. I put a set of manual (MileMarker) hubs on mine, but just left the center cover caps off, for now. Might put them back on, just easier to get at. Sit back inside, and just looked odd, with the gap.

I hear ya on the local development. Its the same every where I'm afraid. The local town to me, Findlay, has two WalMarts now. And a new restaurant or store I have never seen, every time I go to town.

Gregg,

Old 02-01-2016, 04:14 PM
RedDevil460
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OhioGregg
Looking Good !!! I noticed that you must have switched your auto lock hubs to manual also. I put a set of manual (MileMarker) hubs on mine, but just left the center cover caps off, for now. Might put them back on, just easier to get at. Sit back inside, and just looked odd, with the gap.

I hear ya on the local development. Its the same every where I'm afraid. The local town to me, Findlay, has two WalMarts now. And a new restaurant or store I have never seen, every time I go to town.

Gregg,

Thanks Gregg! Yeah they were auto hubs at some point, but are now manual. They are the Mile Marker ones as well. But I didn't put them in, they were on the truck when I got it. Work ok, but have always been a little stiff and hard to turn. Not sure how long they've been on there though. Probably going to put in some Warn Premiums in the summer though, since I'll be redoing a bunch of other things as well.

Yeah everything keeps getting bigger and more populated. Its not all that bad, just different. Still ain't the city haha.

So I'm loving the new tires! They really do ride a lot smoother, just took me a while to notice it. Since the truck is still making a few other noises that are annoying/distracting me haha. Took my buddy for a ride, and the first thing he said was Wow it rides a lot smoother! Awesome! They're a lot quieter too. Haven't gotten to test out traction too much, since we haven't had a good snow yet, but they do much better on wet roads. I could hardly even give it any throttle without spinning on the old tires.

Took it for an alignment last Friday and turns out that I need new ball joints. And there was I think a bushing worn out on the pitman arm that connects to the steering box. I think I'm going to leave that till summer. Also found out that my water pump is leaking so I guess I need a new one. Not driving the truck until I get that fixed.

Hopefully it will be a lot better after an alignment and new ball joints. Any recommendations on some good ball joints?