1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Rebuilt E4OD getting hot - No TC lock out

Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM
williameub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilt E4OD getting hot - No TC lock out

Truck is a '95 4x4

Recently rebuilt my E4OD because of slipping problems. (No reverse)

Found that the separator plate wasn't torqued down right, causing the bolts to come loose and leak pressure past the gasket.

Truck also had what sounded like a bad torque converter. A clattering sound that would lessen or go away when put into gear.

All new frictions and steels, updated shell, reman front pump and TC. Also dissembled the valve/accumulator bodies and cleaned them. Didn't disassemble but cleaned solenoid body with electronics cleaner.

Tranny looks to have been rebuilt at least twice before. Also has had a shift kit put in.

Now, during my test drive, truck shifts fine, but won't lock up the torque converter. Attributed this to not being up to temp yet.

After 10miles, still no lockout, and OD light starts flashing. Turn around and head back to the shop. About half way back I can tell this thing is getting hot. I can smell it. Pulled over let it cool for about 15 minutes and then drove it the rest of the way back.

Code is a P1728 - Excessive Slip
TFT is around 205*F

Pulled dipstick, fluid is clean and doesn't smell burned. At correct level.

During a line pressure test, I got these numbers at idle:

P - 50-55
R - 75-80
N - 50-55
D - ~65
2 - ~65
1 - ~ 90

Checked for cooler flow, and got more than a quart of fluid in ~15 seconds.

Continued to a stall test. Don't have the numbers off hand but it was in spec, however. The trans temp would sky rocket. Going from 160*F to over 205*F in about 5-10seconds and would take around 10minutes to cool back down.

In reverse temp shot upto 220*F very fast.

Line pressure was almost always on the low side but engages very firm and without hesitation, which doesn't make me think it's a pressure issue.

I know the TC isn't going into lockout, and I assume that's where my heat is coming from. The TC clutch slipping.
I still have the same chatter as before also.
Do I condemn the TC, the front pump or solenoid body?

I need to get this thing done by Tuesday hopefully and don't want to pull the tranny if I don't need to or more than once.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:54 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,180 Likes on 811 Posts
Im no expert in trannys hopefully Mark K. can chime in, he knows these trannys really well. For the mean time try temporarily doing the Torque Converter lock switch mod to see if your tc is really slipping or if you got something else going on, im having the exact same problem, except mine is running cold by touch my tranny pan and my 6.0 and 7.3 coolers feel cool to the touch, (no trans temp hauge yet).

Old 12-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
You have something inside the trans causing the problem. The converter never locks in reverse, and you say the Temps rise very quickly in reverse. I don't know what's wrong, but something is wrong. Maybe jk080 has seen s9mething like this.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:42 PM
williameub
Senior User
Well, thanks for the replies. Wasn't exactly what I was hoping to hear, but everything isn't always peachy.

Guess I'll get it out and start tearing it down tomorrow. I hate not knowing what to look for.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 PM
williameub
Senior User
Got the tranny back out. Was going to drop the pan and see if I had any clutch material in the pan but forgot once I started working.

Pull the TC and let it drain into a clean bucket. Lots of metal in the fluid. Don't know how i missed it yesterday but it's pretty bad. It obviously came from the TC as there isn't any resistance in the TC clutch anymore.

Going to start there with a flush and new solenoid pack too I guess.

Input shaft feels and rotates good.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:24 PM
williameub
Senior User
Forgot to add that I re-ran the stall test this morning. All pressures are ok but wasn't able to break 1500rpm. All pointing back to the TC.

But was it a TC problem or a problem with a valve or solenoid??

Old 01-08-2016, 08:52 PM
williameub
Senior User
Reinstalled tranny with new TC and solenoid body. Test drove with a stand alone transmission tester and TC still wouldn't lock-up. Im guessing this condemns the front pump? Getting tired of pulling this thing out. :/

Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Test your brake switch, mine was bad, and made my tc slip, installed a new one and it's back to normal.
For some reason that help my tc not slip. Also check your VSS.Good luck

Old 01-08-2016, 09:33 PM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Test your brake switch, mine was bad, and made my tc slip, installed a new one and it's back to normal. For some reason that help my tc not slip. Also check your VSS.Good luck
That's what the stand alone tester does. It eliminates all the variables like the BOO and VSS.

At least yours was an easy fix!! Lol

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Originally Posted by williameub
That's what the stand alone tester does. It eliminates all the variables like the BOO and VSS.

At least yours was an easy fix!! Lol
Missed the stand alone part, someone mentioned I needed glasses, im starting to wonder

Old 01-08-2016, 09:46 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
I don't know on which place of the forums I saw this but, a member had a broken spring inside the valve body that made his tranny act all weird, I think it was on the Excursion forums, just cant remember

Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 PM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
I don't know on which place of the forums I saw this but, a member had a broken spring inside the valve body that made his tranny act all weird, I think it was on the Excursion forums, just cant remember
I wish I could find a power flow chart for this tranny. I disassembled and cleaned all the Valve Body and Accumulator body valve, but that doesn't mean I couldn't of screwed something up. Don't think that would cause a TC not to lock up as the only symptom though. I'd imagine you'd have some other things going wild.

Other than the TC, the trans seems to shift fine and feels good other wise.

Really got me stumped. I'm going to try the old pump tomorrow if I'm able to get that far.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by williameub
Reinstalled tranny with new TC and solenoid body. Test drove with a stand alone transmission tester and TC still wouldn't lock-up. Im guessing this condemns the front pump? Getting tired of pulling this thing out. :/
I don't think so. It could be a seal on the input shaft, the torque converter clutch solenoid could be unplugged inside the pan, a stuck torque converter clutch solenoid, a stuck torque converter clutch control valve, or a bad converter.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where a bad pump works everything in the trans except the torque converter clutch. I just can't see that happening.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:27 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Sorry OP. Mr. Mark K. With your knowledge why do you think the brake switch was making my tc slip? Im stomped on how that could of had impact on the tc slipping on such high rpm. Is there an explanation for that? Thank you sir for taking your time to help us out

Old 01-09-2016, 10:18 AM
williameub
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I don't think so. It could be a seal on the input shaft, the torque converter clutch solenoid could be unplugged inside the pan, a stuck torque converter clutch solenoid, a stuck torque converter clutch control valve, or a bad converter. I'm having a hard time coming up with a scenario where a bad pump works everything in the trans except the torque converter clutch. I just can't see that happening.
Seal on the input shaft is good. First thing I checked when this problem first arose.

TCCS is plugged in, can hear a heathy audible click. Solenoid body is also a brand new ford part. Don't see this being the problem as it sounds good with a transmission tester.

When ever I got the 'reman' pump, it was missing 9 out of the 11 bolts and was also not even half assed aligned correctly. There isn't a whole lot in that pump to go wrong, so I used it anyways.

And two ****ty TC in a row out of the box is a possibility... Had that happen on other parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt E4OD getting hot - No TC lock out