Efi 460 full engine swap to carb 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 01:15 PM
Jaredpizzino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Efi 460 full engine swap to carb 460

hey guys I've got a 1988 f250 auto 2wd with a 460 7.5l efi in it also has 180k miles.. When I got off work yesterday I checked my radiator bc I've been having issues with it leaking and there was oil in my coolant so I check my oil and the cap had moisture on it. Blown head gaskets great. One of my buddies had a motorhome with a carb 460 with 10k original miles In it that he would sell to me for a couple hundred bucks. Can't really pass that up. I don't have the specifics on it yet I will in a couple days tho. But I was curious how much trouble would it be to yank out the efi 460 and drop in the carb 460, also pretty sure I could get the tranny and whatever else I needed off of it. If it's a bunch of hoops i have to jump threw to get it running I'll just fix th efi 460. I really like the idea of having an engine with only 10k miles on it, being that I tow 3 horses a few times a week the efi 460 is a bit worn. Anyways let me know what you guys think, seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:09 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
although doable, it is not a straight forward swap one for the other type deal.

it will probably be more work then it is worth as you have to deal with the fact that your trucks engine and tranny is computer controlled and the motorhome isn't . that means the wiring harness between the two will not work unless you swap out the wiring harness from a truck with a carb engine in it. they use different types of systems to actually run the engine. doable but lots of work. also the fuel pump from your truck (tank mounted) will not work with a carb engine unless you put a regulator in line to drop the pressure down. you could also just remove the pump altogether and just plumb in either a electric fuel pump meant for a carb engine or use the engine mounted fuel pump. couple of other issues also that although not big obstacles just add to the headache and wallet drain (like the exhaust head pipes will probably be different and need to be changed or redone)

what i would do is use the short block from the motorhome and use the heads and intake along with the fuel injections system from your truck (assuming the heads are still reusable). the blocks are the same so no problem there. it is just the heads and intake along with exhaust manifolds that don't interchange. even if your heads are no good, rebuilding them or getting another set will probably be cheaper and quicker in the long run then trying to swap in a carb engine into an efi truck.

rgds
Mike

Old 01-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Jaredpizzino
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcdonaldm
although doable, it is not a straight forward swap one for the other type deal.

it will probably be more work then it is worth as you have to deal with the fact that your trucks engine and tranny is computer controlled and the motorhome isn't . that means the wiring harness between the two will not work unless you swap out the wiring harness from a truck with a carb engine in it. they use different types of systems to actually run the engine. doable but lots of work. also the fuel pump from your truck (tank mounted) will not work with a carb engine unless you put a regulator in line to drop the pressure down. you could also just remove the pump altogether and just plumb in either a electric fuel pump meant for a carb engine or use the engine mounted fuel pump. couple of other issues also that although not big obstacles just add to the headache and wallet drain (like the exhaust head pipes will probably be different and need to be changed or redone)

what i would do is use the short block from the motorhome and use the heads and intake along with the fuel injections system from your truck (assuming the heads are still reusable). the blocks are the same so no problem there. it is just the heads and intake along with exhaust manifolds that don't interchange. even if your heads are no good, rebuilding them or getting another set will probably be cheaper and quicker in the long run then trying to swap in a carb engine into an efi truck.

rgds
Mike

Awesome I'll probably lean towards the efi heads on the carb short block. Thanks a lot mike!