Missouri Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:77&79F250

A toast to a New Year and old Ford trucks BS and chat thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm finally getting over this flipping cold so I'm trying to take it easy. Unfortunately it's not going very well as I have a pretty bad case of cabin fever.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Totally failed at taking it easy. I pulled the cowl grill and found my leak in the truck. The seam sealer was missing in many places and in poor condition so I pulled it out, cleaned everything out as best I could and laid down a fresh layer of sealer. I know that the conditions aren't ideal, but something I had to be done. Next up will be door and window seals...

Old 01-01-2016, 05:11 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
OK guys. after replacing the thermostat and the upper radiator hose, I'm told the new radiator hose is collapsing too. so I ask, what else would cause the upper radiator hose to collapse when it gets hot?

Oh and Happy F.... New Year. It's already started out crappy. I hope it ain't a sign of things to come.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
I'm grabbing at straws here Lee, but there seems to be a problem getting coolant through the engine for any hose to collapse. It seems to me that either the water pump isn't doing its job right, or the block is plugged and not letting water flow through in sufficient quantity. I would check the fan belt routing to make sure it's turning the right way. If that's good, I would suspect that the water pump has failed or is the wrong rotation for the application.

Hopefully someone with more first hand experience will chime in with something more specific.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Lee - Did a little googling and i forgot the obvious (and cheapest) cause - a bad radiator cap not allowing fluid back in from the reservoir. Try a new radiator cap before anything else.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts
good evening all... jeff im am sorry if you waited around for me.. i got tied up moving several trucks from the yard to the shop.. i have a "PAYING" job of restoring a 41 chevy for a customer.. i have 3 trucks i will use to build 1 and maybe a half.... plus the spare junk front clip, cowl, windshield and roof are going to make a cool wall art project..

on the upper hose collapse i would usually think stuck thermostat first.. plugged up rusty block second...then turns into work from there..... is the truck overheating??

Old 01-01-2016, 05:36 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Evening All!

Lee. Dave has a handle on it. Try a new cap and see if the overflow hose is kinked. The lower hose is the suction side, so if the upper hose is squeezed shut, your water pump is turning backwards, or the radiator cap is holding too much pressure/vacuum.

I got the wood stove lit in the shop today. I tied in to the gas furnace chimney over the bathroom. It has a nice draw and isn't filling the shop up with smoke, so I think we have a winner.

I just got done taking all the decorations from outside down and put them up, so I don't have to deal with any of that for a while now.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM
earthquake68
Hotshot
Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
RC he just put a new thermostat in it this past week.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:50 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver

if any of ya'll plan on driving down to visit me.. don't come the haskins ford crossing way.. best to come the long way around... ha ha ha ha ha .. cant believe some idiot tried to cross there..that water has to be over 20ft. deep

Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
I did recently put a new cap on. O'riellys said it was the right one. The over flow tank was completely full on Sunday, even tho I only filled it to the line.
The guage has never showed it over heating, but the needle jumps all over the place.
Every morning, I've had to put a bit of coolant in. not much maybe a couple inches in the top of the radiator. . I would then drive about 3 miles and see steam coming out on the right side of hood and the battery would be covered in coolant. but I have never been able to see where the coolant was coming from. nothing else is wet..
It was only Sunday that I pulled the truck into a friend's garage and popped the hood to do some better inspecting, with more eyes on it, did I see the upper hose was collapsed, never saw it do that before that time. The truck was running too.
If I remember correctly, radiator caps come in different pressures, am I correct on that? What should the pressure be? If the water pump is bad, wouldn't it leak out of the weep hole? I did check to see if the shaft wobbled when I took the belt off to replace it.
I did have to replace the power steering pump and another pully up by the tensioner pully.

I didn't check to see if the guy routed the new belt right, but there is a sticker on the core support with the routing plainly pictured on it.

The only other thing I can think to add here is the heater always seems to be on and hot, It doesn't matter if it's all turned off or switched to the cold side, fan on or off, It always seems to be on and hot in the cab.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:39 PM
*2fords*
Fleet Mechanic
I checked Oreillys website and it shows 13lbs is correct one. I have no way of knowing what mine is without seeing it. I texted the guy working on it but he hasn't replied back.
I don't see any other caps listed so have no idea what other pressured cap I could have gotten.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:12 PM
BORDERBUM
Logistics Pro
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
RC, no issues, I hung with Alan for awhile and talked cars, trucks, strategies on my projects and a bunch of other stuff lol

Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
good morning missouri... i am heading out to the country this morning to look at a couple of trucks.. the trailer is still loaded with the other 41 chevy..i didn't get it unloaded yesterday.. i will go look at the trucks if i buy them then i will come home unload the 41 and go get em... my yard is starting to look empty..

Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
i need to rent a 'big' sandblaster..has anyone ever checked the prices of doing this in our area???

Old 01-02-2016, 07:45 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
Morning folks, big sandblaster....I think Jeff has a deal like that?

Quick Reply: A toast to a New Year and old Ford trucks BS and chat thread.