1978 supercab Diesel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Ben Cooper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1978 supercab Diesel Conversion

Hey everybody!

I'm new to this forum thing and thought that I would post my project so far and see what you all think about it.

It all started july of 2014 when I saw an ad for a 1978 supercab for sale. The man was nice, he used it for concrete work since 1996 and before that it sat in someone's back yard. Some poor fool bought it new in 1978 to haul his camping trailer to take his family camping. Little did he know that his Mrs. was doing the dirty deed with his best friend, and he ended up losing his marriage and this fine truck. I didn't need the life story of the vehicle but mr. patimos gave it to me anyway. He had been out of work for some time and needed the money so I bought her off of him for an easy $1,000.

She is a little rough in places, but you have to expect that from a work truck. There where some problems in the beginning like a wheel stud that fell in to the front brake, but a few minor things and a tune up and she was always good to drive.

I've alway's dreamed of a good 70's ford pickup like the one grandpa had when I was growing up. throwing hay off of the back of the 76 flatbed. I also alway's loved my dad's old 6.9 idi. He could pull the world with that thing. So I decided why can't i have the best of both for my new farm truck.

Then came the move. My wife and I have not been able to be on the farm since things are pretty dry here in California, but I found a good job working with water and soil testing and still do some welding on the side.

the 78 was able to move us alright

Thus begins the project part

I had to strip the old girl of all of her steel

the old 351m gasser

out with the old

found a nice 6.9 from a wrecked county truck 43k miles on the dial and just a pretty and clean as could be for 200 bucks I couldn't resist.

then I started to video the project

finally the engine breakdown

Old 04-25-2015, 12:30 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks pretty good.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 AM
Ben Cooper
New User

Pistons came this afternoon. my weekend is set

Old 04-25-2015, 03:34 AM
ozdatman
Senior User
Welcome to fte. Nice looking project. Looks like some glow plug tips were bouncing around in there.
On pistons and rebuilds, guys are machining some off the top to reduce the compression ratio for turbo rebuilds. Might be something worth thinking about. RacinNdrummin's threads are worth a read if you need hints on builds.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:19 AM
Ben Cooper
New User
Originally Posted by ozdatman
Welcome to fte. Nice looking project. Looks like some glow plug tips were bouncing around in there.
On pistons and rebuilds, guys are machining some off the top to reduce the compression ratio for turbo rebuilds. Might be something worth thinking about. RacinNdrummin's threads are worth a read if you need hints on builds.
Yes I did end up getting the "destroked" pistons, has .010 shaved off the top for a little less compression. The R and D guys stuff is awesome to see! Love these idi

Old 04-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I love it!

Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Ben Cooper
New User
Turns out I thought I was ordering 4.0 pistons but ordered .040 oversized. Does anyone have a use for these or have any standard pistons to give up.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:04 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That sucks.

Can't wait to see that truck back together again

Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bore it, more time and cost efficient than searching for a spare set.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Ben Cooper
New User
I was able to return them and r and d idi performance Justin says he may be able to take some material off the top of my original pistons. Lower compression ratio and run more turbo safely I hope. I do plan on getting another engine after this project is finished and build it up too as a spare. Are there any major gains to be had by boring out? I've always been more of a fan of re-sleeving and keeping things stockish.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
There would be a small bump in displacement, I suggested it mainly just because most shops can do it cheap and you get a brand new sealing surface for rings. The 6.9 has a lot of room to be bored and pistons aren't cheap so it is a very viable option if you weren't able to return them.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:10 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Hopefully his bores are alright. That being said, Ill take care of the pistons, they will be solid.

Maybe at very least, he can throw some total seals in and save all/any ring seal...

Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Ben Cooper
New User
After honing they were still at 4.000. I hope that's still good. I was able to pick up some other standard sized ones with clean tops to send up your way if mine are too jacked. I should get those in next week and then ship them out to you.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:56 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Ben Cooper
After honing they were still at 4.000. I hope that's still good. I was able to pick up some other standard sized ones with clean tops to send up your way if mine are too jacked. I should get those in next week and then ship them out to you.
Sounds good Ben.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:49 PM
nwspeedthree
New User
Cant wait to see the outcome of this build. Clean truck

Quick Reply: 1978 supercab Diesel Conversion