1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Could use the help of someone with a tape measure and a creeper please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 PM
rk-rex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could use the help of someone with a tape measure and a creeper please.

Happy holidays everyone. I'm finally getting back at my '65 F250 C.S. Been busy as ever for a half year or so and now have some time to get working on it again.

I have to replace both L & R floor pans as well as the front cab mounts. The problem I have is that mine are rotted out completely as well as the core support and I have no guide to tell me how far off the frame the cab is supposed to sit as the front of it was sitting on the frame. I am looking for some measurements so I can make sure my cab is sitting the correct distance off the frame before I weld in my cab mounts.

1. Distance between frame and cab cross member under the cab that runs right under the front the seat. The square brace that runs across the bottom of the cab.

2. Distance between the frame and cab at the rear mounts. My rear mounting points are solid, but the mounts are flattened out.

I figure if I have these two measurements I can put spacers between the cab and frame and then weld the front mounts in with the rubber mounts installed so that spacing is correct.

Hope this makes sense and I really appreciate anyone who's willing to take these measurements for me. I'd be happy to send a bottle of homemade wine to you for your troubles.

Cheers,

Rikk

Old 12-29-2015, 05:39 PM
IICAP
Senior User
I can't help with what your trying to do. Alternative is, I believe the cab mounts are reproduced today. By removing the spot welds and the old mounts you should be able to set new mounts in place, weld and have you back to square one. When I did my truck many years ago, reproduced mounts were not out there.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:03 PM
rk-rex
New User
Originally Posted by IICAP
I can't help with what your trying to do. Alternative is, I believe the cab mounts are reproduced today. By removing the spot welds and the old mounts you should be able to set new mounts in place, weld and have you back to square one. When I did my truck many years ago, reproduced mounts were not out there.
Thanks for the input, but the old ones are rotted away and the floor pan isn't there either. So I have nothing to establish the height. I have both the mounts and the pans to weld in, but I can't tell exactly the height of the mount in relation to the floor of the cab to get the cab at the right height. The cab isn't level and it's causing issues with my clutch disengagement. I'm pulling out what's left of my hair trying to figure it out.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 PM
g4g2g7
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rk-rex
Thanks for the input, but the old ones are rotted away and the floor pan isn't there either. So I have nothing to establish the height. I have both the mounts and the pans to weld in, but I can't tell exactly the height of the mount in relation to the floor of the cab to get the cab at the right height. The cab isn't level and it's causing issues with my clutch disengagement. I'm pulling out what's left of my hair trying to figure it out.
Which replacement cab mounts did you get, the factory style (like Dennis Carpenter sells) made from 2 stampings spot welded together or the one-piece mounts made from one sheet of metal? The factory style replacements have a lip at the top that sits under the flange where the firewall meets the floor board and that would help establish your height even if most of the floor is gone. I don't think the one-piece mounts have the flange, though I have no direct experience with the 1-piece, only the factory style.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:47 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Rikk, A little different direction, but you might want to consider, ALL floor pans 65-79 are basically the same. Depending on how yours is cut out you might want to look into cutting along the edge side and top and under the seat, then replace the entire pan.

There are differences in the humps but all other same.

John

Old 12-30-2015, 04:01 PM
rk-rex
New User
The mounts I bought were the one piece style, so I can try and see how they compare height wise to the two piece mounts if I can find the measurements and then use that seam for a guide.

John,

I had considered that, but the pans I bought are trim to fit and have excess sheet metal on all 4 sides, so that kind of screws me there too. THe biggest thing I am worried about is that I can't adjust my clutch because all of the adjustment is taken out of it because the cab has dropped down. I guess I could adjust the clutch to the middle of the adjustment and then lift the front of the cab until I get a happy medium of it looking like it's sitting correctly and the clutch is disengaging. (I've replaced all the bushings in the linkage as well as the clutch and flywheel, so that may work)

Sometimes working on old stuff is worse than new.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:54 AM
Crop Duster
Logistics Pro

Received 521 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by rk-rex
The mounts I bought were the one piece style, so I can try and see how they compare height wise to the two piece mounts if I can find the measurements and then use that seam for a guide.

John,

I had considered that, but the pans I bought are trim to fit and have excess sheet metal on all 4 sides, so that kind of screws me there too. THe biggest thing I am worried about is that I can't adjust my clutch because all of the adjustment is taken out of it because the cab has dropped down. I guess I could adjust the clutch to the middle of the adjustment and then lift the front of the cab until I get a happy medium of it looking like it's sitting correctly and the clutch is disengaging. (I've replaced all the bushings in the linkage as well as the clutch and flywheel, so that may work)

Sometimes working on old stuff is worse than new.
I'm pretty sure those one piece cab mounts are made to slip over a mount that is just starting to fail and not very usable to replace a mount that has collapsed. I measured an old cab I have and the mounts are 9 inches from the lip on the firewall to the bottom of the mount and about 45 1/2 inches center to center between the mounts. You might want to consider removing the cab and sitting it on it's back to make those repairs. I know that sounds like a lot of work but it will save you a lot of time and burns in the end.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:06 PM
rk-rex
New User
Originally Posted by Crop Duster
I'm pretty sure those one piece cab mounts are made to slip over a mount that is just starting to fail and not very usable to replace a mount that has collapsed. I measured an old cab I have and the mounts are 9 inches from the lip on the firewall to the bottom of the mount and about 45 1/2 inches center to center between the mounts. You might want to consider removing the cab and sitting it on it's back to make those repairs. I know that sounds like a lot of work but it will save you a lot of time and burns in the end.
I didn't know that. There is a portion of the upper part of the mount still there. Maybe what I can do is add material to the sides and bottom of the new mount to help give it strength. To be honest, I'd be surprised if the truck will ever see another 10k in mileage, but I want to make it last as long as possible and maybe someday pull it down completely and do the whole truck. For now, I want to make it dependable and safe.

Thanks a million for the measurements, that is going to be a big help, especially with the info about the type of mounts I have.