6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Tuned my 2016 F250 6.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:31 PM
scarem
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuned my 2016 F250 6.2

I have 1700 miles on my new 6.2 Lariat with 4.30 gears. I had used 5 star tuning on my 2011 5 liter and was very impressed, so why not do it again. I just dumped the 87 octane daily/tow tune and took her for a spin. All I can say is WOW!!! This is the way these trucks should run off the lot. I love the way the tranny downshifts when slowing for a turn. No more lag or gear searching. great job 5 star. Thanks again

Old 12-29-2015, 02:44 PM
rayw72
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree. I 5 Star tuned my 15' shortly after I bought it. Definitely takes the sluggishness out of it. I'd still like to have the throttle body open up more at lower RPM's though.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 PM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's good to hear, I'm still debating if it's worth 400 dollars.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:03 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Thanks for the report. I just picked up my 2016 recently and knew I would get a 5star sooner than later. Any tune feedback is greatly appreciated. Which 5 tunes did you go with? I will be ordering any day now.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:11 PM
scarem
New User
I purchased two tunes. Daily/ tow and the performance tune, both for 87 octane. I loaded the daily tune and it's everything I wanted. The truck is so much more responsive and feels lighter, if that's possible. The tranny shift patterns are as smooth as stock, but just a tab bit stronger. I don't feel any adverse conditions or stumbles. I am extremely happy with this setup.

Just do it.....the real truck is waiting to be released.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Big Vic
Senior User
Several new users post about how good the tune is? Sounds a bit contrived to me.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:38 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It all sounds good...but what about long term durability? What shape will my engine be after 100,000 miles with lots of those towing?

Not bashing...just wandering.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:39 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
From my experience the the truck changes right around the 5K mark, so you may want to wait to tune it. I think what you are experiencing after the tune is what my truck feels like after I've been pulling it had it's adjusted to the load. It doesn't take long to go back to it's unloaded mode when running around without the trailer and I wouldn't want it in the pulling mode for everyday driving. With my 4.30 gears I don't feel a lag in power and the transmission shifts smooth and doesn't hunt for gears but my truck had been pulled hard from the 450 mile mark so it may be the way I broke it in.

Denny

Old 12-31-2015, 03:06 AM
scarem
New User
Originally Posted by Big Vic
Several new users post about how good the tune is? Sounds a bit contrived to me.
Contrived? Not my style Big Vic. Thanks anyway for your comment. New user, yes. Ford pickups since 1974, yes.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:30 AM
rayw72
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Big Vic
I only have 32K miles on my truck so I don't know about long term durability or the effects of tuning. However, I can tell you that installing the tune made a world of difference with throttle response, mileage, and shifting.

I bought the 87 octane performance tune, the 87 octane economy tune, and the 87 octane daily/ tow tune.

For everyday normal driving with an empty truck, I run the 87 performance. The truck responds a lot faster to the throttle. It also holds the lower gears just a bit longer which is helpful but not so long that it sounds like the engine is over revving. One issue with the stock tune that I disliked was the truck always wanting to go up to a higher gear.

I switch to the economy tune when I am driving to a destination more than an hour or two away. For example, driving from Jacksonville to Tallahassee across I-10. I upload the economy tune put the cruise control on 78 and sit back and enjoy the long, quite ride.

I pulled a small 6x12 enclosed trailer loaded with hunting gear for 4 people from Florida to central Kansas and then to NW Nebraska. The tow tune helped by maintaining gears and not down shifting every time I went over an overpass. It still downshifted on most, if not all, of the elevation changes though.

My previous truck was an 08' GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2L and was great truck but it needed a tune as well. The manufactures just choke these engines down. A tune really wakes them up and in my opinion gives you what you should have gotten from the factory. Of course some people tune for racing and things like that but that's not why I did it. I just wanted a more responsive truck for everyday driving.

I'm not sure why you think it's contrived but hopefully my explanation helps clear things up a bit.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 AM
scarem
New User
Originally Posted by rayw72
I only have 32K miles on my truck so I don't know about long term durability or the effects of tuning. However, I can tell you that installing the tune made a world of difference with throttle response, mileage, and shifting.

I bought the 87 octane performance tune, the 87 octane economy tune, and the 87 octane daily/ tow tune.

For everyday normal driving with an empty truck, I run the 87 performance. The truck responds a lot faster to the throttle. It also holds the lower gears just a bit longer which is helpful but not so long that it sounds like the engine is over revving. One issue with the stock tune that I disliked was the truck always wanting to go up to a higher gear.

I switch to the economy tune when I am driving to a destination more than an hour or two away. For example, driving from Jacksonville to Tallahassee across I-10. I upload the economy tune put the cruise control on 78 and sit back and enjoy the long, quite ride.

I pulled a small 6x12 enclosed trailer loaded with hunting gear for 4 people from Florida to central Kansas and then to NW Nebraska. The tow tune helped by maintaining gears and not down shifting every time I went over an overpass. It still downshifted on most, if not all, of the elevation changes though.

My previous truck was an 08' GMC Sierra Denali with the 6.2L and was great truck but it needed a tune as well. The manufactures just choke these engines down. A tune really wakes them up and in my opinion gives you what you should have gotten from the factory. Of course some people tune for racing and things like that but that's not why I did it. I just wanted a more responsive truck for everyday driving.

I'm not sure why you think it's contrived but hopefully my explanation helps clear things up a bit.

I have been building high performance Harley motors for 20 years. Each and every motor comes de-tuned from the factory for EPA Standards. The stock motors ran so dam hot that Harley now has a parade mode, which at traffic lights turns the spark off the rear cylinder but keeps dumping fuel for cooling reasons. I have personally tuned over 100 bikes and they are still pulling strong. Some, including mine, with over 80k on the ticker.
Adding a proper tune and opening the throttle body on the 6.2 wakes these engines up to the real potential, not the tree hugging EPA Potential. Adjusting fuel tables and timing is the key, as long as there's no engine knock.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:54 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
It all sounds good...but what about long term durability? What shape will my engine be after 100,000 miles with lots of those towing?

Not bashing...just wandering.

I agree. It sounds good. But will it harm my motor?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:57 AM
rayw72
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by don123
I agree. It sounds good. But will it harm my motor?
Don, Didn't you ever tune the Mustang GT's?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rayw72
Don, Didn't you ever tune the Mustang GT's?
I put gears, headers and a lot of bolt-ons but never used a tuner. The closest thing to a tuner would be a steeda timing adjuster I use on my current GT. Advancing the timing to 15 degrees and run 93 octane gives a noticeable improvement in performance.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by don123
I put gears, headers and a lot of bolt-ons but never used a tuner. The closest thing to a tuner would be a steeda timing adjuster I use on my current GT. Advancing the timing to 15 degrees and run 93 octane gives a noticeable improvement in performance.
Must be a older mustang cause you can't do that to any so called new mustangs without a hand held tuner.

Quick Reply: Tuned my 2016 F250 6.2