6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

I told yuh so! Might buy this Fifth Wheel.. Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Well, I told yuh so!!!!
In the price range you are looking for, there are many bunkhouses. We have a Sandpiper 365SAQ which the new model(thanks to me!-long story) is the Sandpiper 365SAQB and its sister the Sierra. Columbus campers are really great campers. Montana has a new bunkhouse in their "High Country" line that looks very much like the others with 1.5 baths and two exterior doors. The Montanas are nice rigs. It is called the Montana High Country 358BH. I love the campers with the extra 1/2 bath that the kids can use without waking you up in the middle of the night, plus the extra door that comes in handy when you are at the beach/lake and have to use the bathroom, you just step right into the 1/2 bath without having water/sand drip all through the coach. In searching, remember that a rig of this size should come with 7k pound axles(8 lug wheels) , also get the 2nd A/C unit as you'll be glad you did. Also, watch out for storage. Interior vs exterior. The Sandpiper/Sierra line has a HUGE amount of storage in the bunkhouse but less than half the exterior storage of say a Montana because Montanas have a "drop frame" under them which sits lower in the front. That is HUGE for all other things like camp chairs and tables. The outside kitchens are very nice as most cooking can be done outside. We are currently looking for a new camper that will have the drop frame, but not the bunks as our son is 15 and we can get by without them now. The sad thing is missing the outside kitchen.
Also, Northpoint(by Jayco), Montana, Chaparral, Brookstone, Open Range, Avalanche all have bunks with various floor plans. Some with rear bunks and some with mid bunks and a loft.
Good luck in your search. We won't tell you "I told you so again!"
I really would like a bunkhouse with the floor plan of the Columbus but a 1/2 bath added. I'm pushing 42' with that layout as it is.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:12 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
So this is the one my wife likes the most.

2016 Palomino Columbus F377MB, Hewitt TX - - RVtrader.com

The local dealership is actually a few grand less.

Does this look like a good setup in regards to price per feature?

Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
I do like the new(ish) mid bunk plans that are getting hot right now Justin. How many sleeping areas do you need? Looks like most mid bunk plans give you two bunks in the room and a loft over it giving a total of three. I like that the kid could have their own play/TV room that can be shut off from the rest of the rig. If you search the terms "mid bunk" you'll find lots of options... not that there is anything wrong with the one you just linked. Looks very nice...

Old 01-02-2016, 06:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
two bathrooms are a must with kids or grandkids in our case.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:51 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,192 Likes on 573 Posts
I was thinking that too Scott. Am searching for a MB with two baths now but don't think I'll find one. (For Justin...) We get by fine with out single but only one child...

So far Blue Ridge 3780LF and Big Country 3850MB look nice with the Big Country being a little more upscale. What I don't like is the BH plans are usually in the lower tier trim levels. Heartland finally stepped up and did one in the BC line which is their 3rd from the top. Very nice. FR doesn't have one in their Cedar Creek or Cardinal lines which needs to change. I understand that people with kids often can't afford fancy so their logic is to put bunks in cheaper lines. However, there are some out there that have kids and still afford a more upscale rig.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,989 Likes on 1,596 Posts
Looks Great.........Look at it....spend some time in it......picture the day/evening in it.....

Have fun.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
In searching, remember that a rig of this size should come with 7k pound axles(8 lug wheels)

Keep in mind this doesn't always hold true. Mine has 8 lug wheels and 6k axles. It's a Lippert thing I guess (Lippert axles). My real concern was 16" tires. I know most 6k Dexter axles are 7K tubes with smaller brakes (10" instead of 12" IIRC). I don't know what Lippert has done but know the tubes on mine are marked 5995. Ok for the GVWR of my trailer, but just beware the best way to know is crawl under and check the tags.

But yes, you want "real" 7k axles.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:12 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Looks Great.........Look at it....spend some time in it......picture the day/evening in it.....

Have fun.
Roy, that's presicely why we want this new Fiver. We can picture ourselves enjoying it far more than our current setup.....which just hit Craigslist I might add.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice!!! We ordered a Cedar Creek Silverback 37BH, king bed, 1 1/2 baths, full bunk room for kids (my
Kids are 11 & 13) auto leveling, outside kitchen, 7,000lb axles and G rated rubber. Even a few custom goodies, Forest River is great for that. We are staying with a 13 cu ft propane/elec fridge though, we do end up camping without hookups occasionally. Has 80 gal shower and turd tanks too, this is good. Lol.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:57 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hoseclamp
Nice!!! We ordered a Cedar Creek Silverback 37BH, king bed, 1 1/2 baths, full bunk room for kids (my
Kids are 11 & 13) auto leveling, outside kitchen, 7,000lb axles and G rated rubber. Even a few custom goodies, Forest River is great for that. We are staying with a 13 cu ft propane/elec fridge though, we do end up camping without hookups occasionally. Has 80 gal shower and turd tanks too, this is good. Lol.
We looked at the Silverback and its pretty much the same as the Compass in this floor plan. We specifically like the rear living room with opposing slides layout because of the larger feel it gives. I did like the concept of the cathedral ceilings in the Silverback though.

I think Couch RV had it fully equipped for around $48,500

Looks like we are going to be right at around $55k for the Columbus

Old 01-03-2016, 09:10 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Justin, we too have been looking at mid bunks, but our son says he would be fine without his own room now since he will be 16 in 4 months. Of all the ones we've looked at, we've noticed that not all of them have the same height ceiling in the loft area. Some are very short while a few are very "friendly" for adults. Check the Columbus out well to make sure that area is high enough for the kids to move around easily.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:19 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Our current FR 31bhds has a low ceiling bunk, this 37bh, is huge above the upper bunks, and the slides have a peaked top, they feel quite roomy. The ceiling in the middle is rounded/raised too full length of unit.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:50 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Justin, we too have been looking at mid bunks, but our son says he would be fine without his own room now since he will be 16 in 4 months. Of all the ones we've looked at, we've noticed that not all of them have the same height ceiling in the loft area. Some are very short while a few are very "friendly" for adults. Check the Columbus out well to make sure that area is high enough for the kids to move around easily.
Yeah, great advice..... Already got my teenage daughter to test it out. Was rather comical. Looks about 20" tall (like crawling under the bed cover on my truck). She said it was easy and safe to get up there but a little more difficult to back down.

Hoseclamp, The peaked ceilings on the Silverbacks slides were nice because they appeared to add some headroom, but my wife and I felt it gave a more dated look compared to the Columbus's standard height slides with decorative crown designs. I bet they are a heck of a lot easy to clear debris from.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:46 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
With this thread being almost a week old, I expected to see pictures of the new 5th wheel, signature updated, and first camping trip already taken. Things like this seem to move very quickly here.

Bruce...

Old 01-05-2016, 09:11 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I told yuh so!!!!
In the price range you are looking for, there are many bunkhouses. We have a Sandpiper 365SAQ which the new model(thanks to me!-long story) is the Sandpiper 365SAQB and its sister the Sierra. Columbus campers are really great campers. Montana has a new bunkhouse in their "High Country" line that looks very much like the others with 1.5 baths and two exterior doors. The Montanas are nice rigs. It is called the Montana High Country 358BH. I love the campers with the extra 1/2 bath that the kids can use without waking you up in the middle of the night, plus the extra door that comes in handy when you are at the beach/lake and have to use the bathroom, you just step right into the 1/2 bath without having water/sand drip all through the coach. In searching, remember that a rig of this size should come with 7k pound axles(8 lug wheels) , also get the 2nd A/C unit as you'll be glad you did. Also, watch out for storage. Interior vs exterior. The Sandpiper/Sierra line has a HUGE amount of storage in the bunkhouse but less than half the exterior storage of say a Montana because Montanas have a "drop frame" under them which sits lower in the front. That is HUGE for all other things like camp chairs and tables. The outside kitchens are very nice as most cooking can be done outside. We are currently looking for a new camper that will have the drop frame, but not the bunks as our son is 15 and we can get by without them now. The sad thing is missing the outside kitchen.
Also, Northpoint(by Jayco), Montana, Chaparral, Brookstone, Open Range, Avalanche all have bunks with various floor plans. Some with rear bunks and some with mid bunks and a loft.
Good luck in your search. We won't tell you "I told you so again!"
Have you considered a TH instead of a bunkhouse? 2 drop down beds and a lot of flexability. Just saying... Most have 1/2 ba in there as well.

Quick Reply: I told yuh so! Might buy this Fifth Wheel.. Opinion?