no crank, no start - 2000 ford expedition,xlt, 5.4, 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Headintheclouds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no crank, no start - 2000 ford expedition,xlt, 5.4, 4x4

Over the last few days I've read a ton of topics and watched a ton of video. I bought this expedition about a week ago. I knew it needed a thermostat as it was stuck open and It had to be started in neutral because of a sloppy shifter. I fixed the thermostat day one and parked it. Temperature dropped 25 degrees to -12 and I went to start and notta. Two days in a row the same thing. Once that happened I fixed the sloppy pedal to make things easier.

I put the key in. Turn it to on. Try to start. Nothing. I hear one click from by the starter solenoid area. (I bought a new one and installed) I also had the dome light on and it would go out completely when cranked. I then started running a test light and volt meter. Battery 12.6 . I got a 12.6 into the solenoid. I did not get a voltage at the time from the ignition but the test light went on when I cranked it to start. Same thing for top of solenoid when trying to start.

I crawled under the suv to check the transmission sensor. It was on neutral. Looked in good shape. Wiring looked covered and in good shape. I tried to take the connector off put I could not get that sucker off. Granted I was very careful because it was 12 below.

I also had the dash plastic off by the steering column and fuse box as to check wires and fuses. This is what I was getting into this morning. Then it decided to start!

I really don't want to get stuck somewhere with the family and have another problem. So I wanted to see if anyone had an Idea about what could cause this? Could my DTRS be going out?

Old 12-28-2015, 09:02 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
I also had the dome light on and it would go out completely when cranked.
That suggests a bad battery cable or connection.

Do some PM on the connectors and posts, for starters. If the connectors are aftermarket screw-on units, suspect the connection to the cable while you're at it.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Headintheclouds
New User
I will have to check that again in the morning. Bumpy roads out here. Maybe there is something wrong with the wire. I moved the wires around quite a bit. I cleaned all connections from battery to starter relay solenoid and changed batteries around to one I just bought a few months ago. Tried to include everything I did

Old 12-29-2015, 12:43 AM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be that the starter itself has finally died. Given that the dome light goes out, that points to there being a significant draw on the battery when you try to start it, but the starter not spinning means it could be shorted out.

I would suggest removing it and getting it tested. And when you reinstall it, really clean off the mounting surfaces to bare metal to ensure the starter has a good ground connection to the engine [as well, it also makes sure the starter is properly aligned with the flywheel].

Old 12-29-2015, 05:20 PM
Headintheclouds
New User
Started yesterday. Multiple times. No start today. I checked connections. Except digging into fusible link. I crawled under suv and no power to starter when trying to crank. I put screwdriver on bottom of starter solenoid only in attempt the old screwdriver trick and it started with it just on bottom. I disconnected battery and cleaned up the wires some more. Put original ford nuts on there instead of replacements. Connected battery. Then it fired right up.

Any thoughts?