1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

no start, bad injectors & coolant in the oil.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:57 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No he did a full disassemble and cleaned them....they are all fresh and ready to go back in.

Originally Posted by Pikachu
The guy opened up the injectors and didn't at least clean that mess out?

Old 12-31-2015, 06:11 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, so you're asking about getting what's left in the engine out, yes? About the best you can probably do is drain the pan, HPO reservoir and possibly remove and drain the oil cooler. After it's been started, do another oil change. You'll need to watch the oil for signs of milkiness and change it again if needed.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:15 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Yes I was suggested after i suck and drain everything to pour marvels mystery oil in there and force air into the head rail ports to push it thru......should i do that?

Oh, so you're asking about getting what's left in the engine out, yes? About the best you can probably do is drain the pan, HPO reservoir and possibly remove and drain the oil cooler. After it's been started, do another oil change. You'll need to watch the oil for signs of milkiness and change it again if needed.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I was going to try that, I would just use the same type of motor oil I'd run in the engine. Whether to try to blow anything out or not, I'm not so sure I'd bother. I suspect it's just going to create a huge mess with little actual benefit.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:27 PM
twtcad
Senior User
So all I had time to do today was pressurize the coolant tank to 15psi and it leaked down pretty quick imo. Roughly within 30min pressure leaked out. So i plan to research this more, clean the cups and try it again and inspect each cup as the pressure is leaking down to see if I can see anything. And keep my fingers crossed I just need to replace the remaining 7 cups and be ok. Worst case scenario is a head gasket or cracked head......if the latter I need to decide to sell as is for a major loss or fix it. Not looking forward to the possibility of pulling the heads.......
If I was going to try that, I would just use the same type of motor oil I'd run in the engine. Whether to try to blow anything out or not, I'm not so sure I'd bother. I suspect it's just going to create a huge mess with little actual benefit.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:08 AM
twtcad
Senior User
update.....found 3 more cups leaking so I have pulled them all and cleaned all of the bores. I couldn't get new cups until today so hopefully this evening I can get them in. But while I was cleaning everything I decided to put shop air to the glow plug hole and blew a lot of milky oil/water out of the 3 suspect cylinders the rest of them were pretty dry. I couldn't get all of the water out but hopefully that was my problem. Keeping fingers crossed.........

Old 01-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You can't overestimate how clean those cup bores need to be. The factory installed them in a brand new motor with zero debris in there, so it behooves us to do likewise.

Cup Prep Brush

Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM
twtcad
Senior User
Thanks Tugly.....I have cleaned w/ a dremel wire wheel and brake clean, but I just could not get down to the very bottom. I used a screw driver and a rag after brake clean to get the old glue off but that brush you show there looks exactly what I need. I wonder if my local Ace Hardware would have something like that. Anyways.....I will look. I'm assuming I should not install these in cold temps sub 60degrees so looks like I'm going to wait another day or so to install them. LOL we got a cold front down here in FL and its freezing....its been in the low 60's all day.....lol But anyways I would think warmer weather would be smarter....its been down this long what's a few more days.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM
Loggin
New User
Pull the ICP sensor out and have someone crank it while you watch for oil to come out. Put the sensor back in, pull one of the oil rail plugs out of the right head and do the same. That will eliminate most of the air in the rails. The pressure should come up pretty quick after that. If it doesn't, I'd start checking for other problems like leaking o-rings, bad IPR, etc.
Yea good call mine did the same afte sitting with injectors out for awhile ended up bleeding air out by pulling hoop reservoir plug and then rear oil rail plugs in heads took many times before I figured that out

Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Loggin
New User
Before reading I didn't know the injector cup came in contact with the water jacket does anyone know if leaking cups could be the cause of losing All of your coolant into the oil all at once and shutting the truck down