Sponsored by: Moser

Unable to Update Sync

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:51 PM
pb34
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unable to Update Sync

I searched around a little bit and didn't seem to find anyone having this problem.

I went to update the Sync in my truck today and for some reason the two different flash-drives I tried won't be recognized by my truck. They are formatted the way the website asks (MS-DOS (FAT32)) and I followed the directions to the T but when I plug it into my truck it says "initializing" for a while then says the device is not supported.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Is it just the USB flash drives that I'm using? Thanks!

Old 12-26-2015, 07:58 AM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by pb34
I searched around a little bit and didn't seem to find anyone having this problem.

I went to update the Sync in my truck today and for some reason the two different flash-drives I tried won't be recognized by my truck. They are formatted the way the website asks (MS-DOS (FAT32)) and I followed the directions to the T but when I plug it into my truck it says "initializing" for a while then says the device is not supported.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Is it just the USB flash drives that I'm using? Thanks!
Hey pb34,

Which SYNC system do you have: How to identify your SYNC version | Official Ford Owner Site

I'm happy to help.

Whitney

Old 12-26-2015, 09:35 AM
pb34
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey pb34,

Which SYNC system do you have: How to identify your SYNC version | Official Ford Owner Site

I'm happy to help.

Whitney

Hi Whitney,

I have SYNC (basic system)

Old 12-26-2015, 12:22 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

Hi Whitney,

I have SYNC (basic system)

Great, pb34! Thanks for providing that information.

On your USB flash drive there should be only 3 items. A SyncMyRide folder, an autoinstall.lst file, and an install.lst file. If there are any other files/folders on the flash drive, SYNC will not be able to read the update.

Once you've inserted the USB, press AUX, then MENU, from there scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS, Press OK, scroll to ADVANCED, press OK, scroll to INSTALL APPLICATION, and press OK. The installation should then begin.

Let me know if that does the trick for you.

Whitney

Old 12-26-2015, 01:26 PM
pb34
Senior User
Great, pb34! Thanks for providing that information.

On your USB flash drive there should be only 3 items. A SyncMyRide folder, an autoinstall.lst file, and an install.lst file. If there are any other files/folders on the flash drive, SYNC will not be able to read the update.

Once you've inserted the USB, press AUX, then MENU, from there scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS, Press OK, scroll to ADVANCED, press OK, scroll to INSTALL APPLICATION, and press OK. The installation should then begin.

Let me know if that does the trick for you.

Whitney
That seemed to do the trick! Thank you!

Two other quick questions I have. I went to the online Sync account to report the update afterwards and after I selected the file from my flash-drive nothing happened. Is there supposed to be a submit button so I can actually submit that file to Ford?

My other question is that I thought I read somewhere that with the latest update Sync would support reading text-messages from iPhones. When I went to turn on the text message feature in my truck the feature said it still isn't supported. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:21 PM
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep

That seemed to do the trick! Thank you!

Two other quick questions I have. I went to the online Sync account to report the update afterwards and after I selected the file from my flash-drive nothing happened. Is there supposed to be a submit button so I can actually submit that file to Ford?

My other question is that I thought I read somewhere that with the latest update Sync would support reading text-messages from iPhones. When I went to turn on the text message feature in my truck the feature said it still isn't supported. Is that correct?

Thanks again!
You're Welcome, pb34.

To enable text notifications go to SETTINGS on your iPhone, select BLUETOOTH, press the BLUE ICON next to SYNC, and turn SHOW NOTIFICATIONS on.

If you're having issues submitting the update confirmation, try running a Vehicle Health Report:Vehicle Health Report | SYNC Help | Official Ford Owner Site

That should take care of it.

Whitney

Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 PM
pb34
Senior User
You're Welcome, pb34.

To enable text notifications go to SETTINGS on your iPhone, select BLUETOOTH, press the BLUE ICON next to SYNC, and turn SHOW NOTIFICATIONS on.

If you're having issues submitting the update confirmation, try running a Vehicle Health Report:Vehicle Health Report | SYNC Help | Official Ford Owner Site

That should take care of it.

Whitney
That fixed it! Thank you again for all of your help. Reps sent your way!