6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Are any of the ones with regen jackhammering experiencing it now that is winter.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, lets say my truck was hammering away like it did this past summer.....fortunately it has stopped but if it cam back....could I simply pull a glow plug out of the head and look at the piston with a bore scope? This would tell me real quick if I have any marks on the piston.

I have not seen a 6.7 apart but I assume the Glow plug is located in the center of the head over each cylinder correct? I also assume (never seen one) that the glow plug is big enough to get a bore scope end through?

Just a though as I have used this in gas engine many times to inspect the cylinder walls and top of pistons.

I never let me truck hammer real bad as I would down shift quickly and stopped but if it starts again I may be inclined to let it make a little noise and then inspect.

Thoughts?

Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio
Out of curiosity, lets say my truck was hammering away like it did this past summer.....fortunately it has stopped but if it cam back....could I simply pull a glow plug out of the head and look at the piston with a bore scope? This would tell me real quick if I have any marks on the piston.

I have not seen a 6.7 apart but I assume the Glow plug is located in the center of the head over each cylinder correct? I also assume (never seen one) that the glow plug is big enough to get a bore scope end through?

Just a though as I have used this in gas engine many times to inspect the cylinder walls and top of pistons.

I never let me truck hammer real bad as I would down shift quickly and stopped but if it starts again I may be inclined to let it make a little noise and then inspect.

Thoughts?
I guarantee that if your pistons are hitting the valves you will see the evidence with a bore scope. It's going to leave a mark.
However, the marks are going to be the least of your concerns.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:18 AM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ricohman
I guarantee that if your pistons are hitting the valves you will see the evidence with a bore scope. It's going to leave a mark.
However, the marks are going to be the least of your concerns.

Well thats my point.....I am surprised we have not heard any reports of dealers or anyone doing this. Looking at the piston with a bore cope should only take an hour total and you would know real quick if you have interference. Even if the contact was just barely there it should still leave a mark. To me this makes sense prior to a head tear down. I don't know, maybe it has been done but no one has reported it.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts

Thoughts?
The glow plugs are located basically right under the fuel common rails, a little more on the outboard side of the cylinder heads. On the passenger side, which is the side in question, the EGR cooler would probably have to be removed for access. I think you might be able to snake a scope in there.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
The glow plugs are located basically right under the fuel common rails, a little more on the outboard side of the cylinder heads. On the passenger side, which is the side in question, the EGR cooler would probably have to be removed for access. I think you might be able to snake a scope in there.
I though it was the drivers side bank?
I guess I had that wrong.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricohman
I though it was the drivers side bank?
I guess I had that wrong.
Nope you are correct. My mistake. Indeed it is the left side that supplies fuel for regeneration, while the right side does not for the very reason of the EGR cooler function.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:21 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well thats my point.....I am surprised we have not heard any reports of dealers or anyone doing this. Looking at the piston with a bore cope should only take an hour total and you would know real quick if you have interference. Even if the contact was just barely there it should still leave a mark. To me this makes sense prior to a head tear down. I don't know, maybe it has been done but no one has reported it.

Dealers have already been doing head swaps on this very issue, so quite a few techs have stared directly at the pistons and valves. No valve to piston contact, no damage.

If the valve hits the piston, there's always evidence.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Dealers have already been doing head swaps on this very issue, so quite a few techs have stared directly at the pistons and valves. No valve to piston contact, no damage.

If the valve hits the piston, there's always evidence.

I really wish we could find a tech that has a truck in the shop for this issue and has some pictures of the pistons and heads as soon as they are pulled off. You would think there would be some pics floating around there somewhere.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
If there was contact, there would be pictures. Nothing to see, nothing to photograph.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:23 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
I go back as far as oil bath air cleaners and generators. Manual shut off valves for the heater core.

So as far as I know the basic principles remain the same. If a piston goes to TDC and a valve is open then you have contact, followed by a big bill.

Don't think that has changed.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:15 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Now that we are closer to the end of the first quarter, did release the promised software update?

Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Now that we are closer to the end of the first quarter, did release the promised software update?
I haven't seen anything... and I check these forums all the time.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
No, nothing released yet. End of the month is the earliest I would expect.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 AM
Thom12
Senior User
And I am sure that the EPA will take a very hard look at any emissions software changes after what VW pulled.