6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Are any of the ones with regen jackhammering experiencing it now that is winter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
The only time I briefly felt something and a regen started it was summer and on my 2015. And it could have been the road as it happened on the way back from Chena Hot Springs in Central/Interior Alaska a road I have driven once each way. I have had numerous regens since then and I haven't felt them, including a couple in the sub zero temps. Not saying you are not having a problem, just that isn't one of the problems I have.

I don't argue with the idling, look at a map of Alaska and North Western Canada (Yukon). A lot of time I am much further than 100 miles from anything... I don't like stopping the motor unless I am at the Hotel or an open Fuel Station.

Get it to the dealer, repeatedly if necessary. Maybe you can get a recorder so that the condition can be documented and fixed. There has to be something wrong that can be fixed since there are so many of us with trucks that don't have that issue. And hopefully a TSB will be released because of it. I know I am asking a lot, as it takes YOUR time to help the rest of us owners. Obviously the choice is yours. But in the end you get a working truck too.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:59 PM
Moogal78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
Regen doesn't happen in park.
I don't write lines of software code for Ford, BUT, I did come back to my idling truck one day (hot outside, dogs in truck, stayed inside much longer than expected), only to hear my truck idling very high. When I got in I looked at my Edge CTS and the regen light was on, RPMs around 1000, and egt1 at 600, egt4 at 1000. Again, I'm no expert, and always believed regens CAN'T happen in park, but if that wasn't a regen, I don't know what it was. The moment I put my foot on the brake it stopped (just like my SEIC). If anyone is curious, the area around the truck smelled like the DPF was hot, I had been gone over an hour, and the soot gpl was around 2.50 when I looked. I had always heard the operator initiated stationary regens were done around 2000 rpm, so I can only assume this is some other programming in the software that most of us rarely, if ever, see. Or I'm crazy. Or my truck is broken. Or my dogs did it!!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:59 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I've heard others not discussing this topic state that regen is possible in Park, with the SEIC engaged. From what I've read, it is not possible. I've also attempted to continue a regen in my driveway in park, with SEIC turned on. Did not work.

So far, my regens have been entirely normal with my 2016.

These engines are all manufactured the same way. If it were a design flaw, they should all be doing it.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM
Amelio
Senior User
whatever the issue is I think it is directly related to higher ambient air temps. I bought my '15 last November I first experienced the "jackhammer" issue in July when we had 90 degree temps. It would pretty much go into condition almost every regen at throttle tipin while cruising at 60 just as the TSB describes.

I started tracking it and writing down the date, time and mileage of when the regen started and then the time the problem occurred. Some times it went into condition at the start of regen and sometimes at the very end. I also have a good recording of it. Been to the dealer several times and they could never duplicate it and that's because they never drove it long enough to go into regen, so they say they cannot address it......no surprise there.

Anyway the last log of it going into condition was the beginning of September I believe and I have not had it happen since. I just took a trip to FL 2 weeks ago for business, it was not in the 90's but low 80's and it never happened.

Either the problem corrected itself or its just not hot enough outside to cause the problem. I don't know but I tend to think the latter.

I'm still waiting for this "re-flash" that is suppose to come out in a few months. I'm curious to know what to expect.....it does not make sense to take it to the dealer and get it when the truck is running fine. Plus I wont really know if it corrected the problem until summer and 90 degree temps!

At this point I am just gonna keep driving until it acts up again, if it does it again this summer I will go get the "re flash" if its out and see what happens. By this summer I will still be way inside the 5yr/60k warranty so we will see.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:49 PM
levi'sford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Amelio
whatever the issue is I think it is directly related to higher ambient air temps. I bought my '15 last November I first experienced the "jackhammer" issue in July when we had 90 degree temps. It would pretty much go into condition almost every regen at throttle tipin while cruising at 60 just as the TSB describes.

I started tracking it and writing down the date, time and mileage of when the regen started and then the time the problem occurred. Some times it went into condition at the start of regen and sometimes at the very end. I also have a good recording of it. Been to the dealer several times and they could never duplicate it and that's because they never drove it long enough to go into regen, so they say they cannot address it......no surprise there.

Anyway the last log of it going into condition was the beginning of September I believe and I have not had it happen since. I just took a trip to FL 2 weeks ago for business, it was not in the 90's but low 80's and it never happened.

Either the problem corrected itself or its just not hot enough outside to cause the problem. I don't know but I tend to think the latter.

I'm still waiting for this "re-flash" that is suppose to come out in a few months. I'm curious to know what to expect.....it does not make sense to take it to the dealer and get it when the truck is running fine. Plus I wont really know if it corrected the problem until summer and 90 degree temps!

At this point I am just gonna keep driving until it acts up again, if it does it again this summer I will go get the "re flash" if its out and see what happens. By this summer I will still be way inside the 5yr/60k warranty so we will see.
That's what I was thinking too.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 PM
K9clark
New User
First time poster, long time reader. My 2015 F250 went into the shop last week and they are still driving it around trying to re-create this issue.

Small backstory: 2015 F-250 Platinum bought in July in Oklahoma. I live in Colorado but i brought the truck back to the dealer in OKC. I'm here and they said it might be just something happening due to elevation.

so they can't recreate the issue here.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:02 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
It's a trap brother.... Look away...
You ain't right Rodney! (we have alot in common! LOL)

Old 01-15-2016, 08:58 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I found the problem!

Old 01-15-2016, 09:02 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by K9clark
First time poster, long time reader. My 2015 F250 went into the shop last week and they are still driving it around trying to re-create this issue.

Small backstory: 2015 F-250 Platinum bought in July in Oklahoma. I live in Colorado but i brought the truck back to the dealer in OKC. I'm here and they said it might be just something happening due to elevation.

so they can't recreate the issue here.
Hi K9clark,

Once you return to Colorado, you might want to try replicating it with one of the local Ford Dealerships. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by IronCobra

I think I found the problem!

LMAO!!!!

Old 01-15-2016, 07:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
that is a good one.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:50 PM
K9clark
New User
I have 10k miles on it. Issue started around 5k. I'm going to drive this deathtrap back to CO sometime next week.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:27 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by K9clark
I have 10k miles on it. Issue started around 5k. I'm going to drive this deathtrap back to CO sometime next week.
What makes you call your truck a deathtrap?

Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Amelio

this should fall under the 100k engine warranty. I too don't think I will jump on the new flash until it starts doing it again. Who knows maybe the guides will wear enough that the problem is gone, if thats the issue to begin with. I'm at 31k now and by time the weather warms up I should be 40k+ and you never hear of higher mile engines doing this. But it is remarkable how the issue is gone in winter, then come april the boards are lit up with it.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:30 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Any Yet I have had mine Colorado several times and made it out alive.

Quick Reply: Are any of the ones with regen jackhammering experiencing it now that is winter.