2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Trans oil and filter change

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:37 AM
Gg6k
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans oil and filter change

Help guys. I need some reassurance that I havent't screwed something up. I recently dropped the pan and changed my trans oil and filter on a 2011 Lincoln Navigator. While doing this, I installed a transmission cooler. I used factory Ford parts on everything. My issue is I drained atleast 6 quarts of fluid from the transmission as I rougly estimated the amount by pouring it into a milk jug. Between spillage from dropping the pan, I think there was a little more than 6 in it. I refilled it and put back in around 7. Could be slightly more but once again there was some spillage. So my question is how much fluid are you guys putting in your transmission. I would take it to the dealer but I don't trust then as the service writer guy says you have to leave car so it can cool down. Wrong. Then the mechanic says he just drives it around, hard for him to get the transmission temp over 195 degrees. Wrong as the Ford service manual says he is supposed to use a scan tool to determine temp. Based on both of these guys I don't trust them, and I really don't trust myself either. They wanted 1/2 hour labor to do this and I don't mind paying but they aren't following Ford protocol. As a side note, the fluid looked new. I recently bought the truck and it has 89,000 miles. Very little metal dust on the pan magnet. Not sure if prior owner had the transmisssion serviced or not. I wanted to change fluid as I plan on doing some towing. I did drive the truck around for 15 minutes and checked it in park ideling. What a pain that is. Make sure you wear an oven glove. Thanks for the guidance.

Last edited by Gg6k; 12-23-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-23-2015, 08:00 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Your owner's manual says the total in the transmission is 13.1 quarts. Since you only drained the pan about 6-7 quarts is all you'll get out. The only way to get all 13 quarts out is by using a heated flush machine. Dealers are supposed to have them, but most do not.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Gg6k
Freshman User
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I can sleep better now.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Your owner's manual says the total in the transmission is 13.1 quarts. Since you only drained the pan about 6-7 quarts is all you'll get out. The only way to get all 13 quarts out is by using a heated flush machine. Dealers are supposed to have them, but most do not.
Thanks Mark! Your knowledge is always appreciated!

Why anyone would do a fluid change on a modern transmission by hand baffles me. By the time you buy the fluid , change literally just half of it and do the work, the dealer could have you rolling again with a complete change for a just a few dollars more and a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on their work.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Gg6k
Freshman User
Didnt know that the dealer offers a 2 year warranty on their work. What a great way to get a free warranty. Is that something they do in your area because I have never heard of the 2 year warranty and they didnt offer the warranty info to me. They did quote me a cost of $180 to drop pan and replace filter. My cost was about $65 for fluid and filter. I also installed a factory transmission cooler at the same time. The dealer quoted me $150 labor for that 30 minute job. I also enjoy working on my own vehicles and enjoy the sense of accomplishment when the job is done. Plus I didnt really trust the dealer as their transmission guy doesnt follow Fords recommendation for checking the fluid level as far as using a scan tool to ensure the fluid is over 195 degrees. I may have a bad local dealer.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:25 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins

Why anyone would do a fluid change on a modern transmission by hand baffles me. By the time you buy the fluid , change literally just half of it and do the work, the dealer could have you rolling again with a complete change for a just a few dollars more and a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on their work.
Most dealers don't change filter and can't be trusted to use the correct fluid. Many change it themselves because they like to, not to save time and money.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:22 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by berry1234
Most dealers don't change filter and can't be trusted to use the correct fluid. Many change it themselves because they like to, not to save time and money.
I get the satisfaction of a DIY job but I can't agree on this very general comment of not knowing which fluid to use. A transmission won't operate correctly on the wrong fluid and certainly won't outlast the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty before the dealer has to shell out big bucks to make it right.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:20 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

You must be easily baffled. I have 3 dealers within 20 miles of me and none have a heated machine. In effect, what I do in my garage is as good as what they can do.

Not much harder than an oil change. Do you pay for that too?

Never heard of a warranty on a fluid change. Must be something they sell to the unexpecting.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:23 PM
svfetter
Junior User

I am one of those do it yourselfers. I have a good dealer fairly close to me but there is always some inconvenience in taking it in. I keep all my Fluids changed on my Fords myself. I really enjoy doing the work myself. And I educate myself to do the job right. Generally speaking, I can trust my dealer for service, but like everything these days you have to keep your eye on them. I had a 2000 Expedition which had a drain plug built into the pan from Ford. I decided to take it in one time for a transmission flush as I did not have the time right then. They screwed up the threads on the drain plug and it leaked trans fluid immediately when I got home. In the end I had to fix it myself.

I know where my limits are and for those items I always take it to my dealer. Otherwise, I try to stay hands on as much as possible. What I really don't appreciate is Ford making it so difficult to change the Fluid and filter on these new transmissions. I am putting a after market dip stick on mine to make it easier to check fluid and change.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by super 6.8
You must be easily baffled. I have 3 dealers within 20 miles of me and none have a heated machine. In effect, what I do in my garage is as good as what they can do.

Not much harder than an oil change. Do you pay for that too?

Never heard of a warranty on a fluid change. Must be something they sell to the unexpecting.
All six dealers in my area have a heated machine. Easily baffled? I think not. I do know my limits based on my expertise, equipment and space to perform such work. I'm not laying on my back anymore to work on a vehicle.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:27 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
All six dealers in my area have a heated machine. Easily baffled? I think not. I do know my limits based on my expertise, equipment and space to perform such work. I'm not laying on my back anymore to work on a vehicle.
I guess with nearly 23k posts maybe you can invent a way to change fluids from a computer chair.

Just kidding. To each his own.

To me it seems I have a 50/50 chance of something going wrong when I take it to a dealer, which I rarely do any more. It's not a cost saving thing at all but the hassle involved more than anything. The dealers will put the least experienced tech on fluid changes every time.

Just tonight I bought two 5 quart jugs and 3 individual quarts of MC 5w20 plus two FL820S's for 60 bucks even. Pretty cheap oil changes for the truck and wife's mounty. And I can do them at my leisure.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:44 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by super 6.8
I guess with nearly 23k posts maybe you can invent a way to change fluids from a computer chair.

Just kidding. To each his own.

To me it seems I have a 50/50 chance of something going wrong when I take it to a dealer, which I rarely do any more. It's not a cost saving thing at all but the hassle involved more than anything. The dealers will put the least experienced tech on fluid changes every time.

Just tonight I bought two 5 quart jugs and 3 individual quarts of MC 5w20 plus two FL820S's for 60 bucks even. Pretty cheap oil changes for the truck and wife's mounty. And I can do them at my leisure.
As I said before, not mad at anyone who is a DIY'er. I did the majority of my own work for years and took great pride and pleasure in a job well done. My 2011 truck is actually the first vehicle that I've owned that goes back to the dealer for service, and that's only because of the ecoboost engine and Ford's renewed campaign to push back on warranty claims.

Admittedly one thing that I've never had an interest in doing is messing with the transmission in any manner other than checking fluid level. Now on the new one's, you can't even do that with out getting under the truck.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:53 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
In all fairness, my F250 is easy with a tranny drain plug and an external filter.

Other vehicles I have it's not much fun. On that I agree with you. At least it's an infrequent bit of maintenance.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Gg6k
Freshman User
I get the satisfaction of a DIY job but I can't agree on this very general comment of not knowing which fluid to use. A transmission won't operate correctly on the wrong fluid and certainly won't outlast the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty[B][B]before the dealer has to shell out big bucks to make it right.
Am I understanding you correctly in that the dealer offers a 2 year unlimited warranty for the transmission if they change the fluid? If so I am an idiot for changing the fluid myself. I would gladly pay $180 every other year for an unlimited warranty on my transmission. My 2011 is out of factory warranty and has 90k miles. Please advise about this warranty. I dont think they have it in my area. If so in what city are your dealers located? Also is this part of some lifetime powertrain warranty that you got when you bought your car and only applies if all work is done at the dealer?

Old 01-05-2016, 04:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gg6k
Am I understanding you correctly in that the dealer offers a 2 year unlimited warranty for the transmission if they change the fluid? If so I am an idiot for changing the fluid myself. I would gladly pay $180 every other year for an unlimited warranty on my transmission. My 2011 is out of factory warranty and has 90k miles. Please advise about this warranty. I dont think they have it in my area. If so in what city are your dealers located? Also is this part of some lifetime powertrain warranty that you got when you bought your car and only applies if all work is done at the dealer?
If they do harm as a result of their service then they'll cover the damage. If you do harm as a result of your service then you're screwed. Let's not over think this.