42/47 Water Hauling Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:26 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I am a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", mostly because I have tried to fix stuff that wasn't broke in the past.

Also, I have it on decent authority that pulling the yoke off on of these axles is a real pain.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38 coupe, those are wise words, think ill just replace the front seal and leave the halves together. Stopped by my engine guys place to day and was happy to see some progress. He was able to get the heads off and pistons out. Had to break out several but over all its looking good. I brought home a new paper weight. The crank looks really good. He will finish getting the valves out, they are pretty stuck. Once that is done he will pressure test the block and make sure its good to go. Hopefully it will be back to me in several months. He is a well know engine guy and has about 10 engines a head of me plus a lot of race car engines from customers that come in and pay him a lot to get their engines back quick. I'm happy with this, he really likes the flatty and seems to be anxious to get going on it.

Also found a paint guy that has recently started up his own restoration shop, only works on older cars and does good work. He will be stopping by this week to look at my cab and front end.

Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
Well I had some time today and spent most of it getting the yoke off the rear differential. Use my harmonic balance puller and stripped out the threads. Went up to O'Reilly and bought another one.Put a good amount of pressure on it and heated the heck out of the yoke. (hope it did not cause metal fatigue) Then a couple of taps with a small hammer and it popped right off.

My order from Chucks was sent out this week and should be here Monday. May try to get this rear axle cleaned up and painted this weekend. I ordered a "pitman" seal for the rear end, is the rubbery seal that's embedded in the hub around the bearing this seal? I noticed also on the cover there is a seal. I hope what Chuck is sending me are both those seals.

Attached Images    
Old 03-10-2016, 10:31 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighttrain67
38 coupe, those are wise words, think ill just replace the front seal and leave the halves together. Stopped by my engine guys place to day and was happy to see some progress. He was able to get the heads off and pistons out. Had to break out several but over all its looking good. I brought home a new paper weight. The crank looks really good. He will finish getting the valves out, they are pretty stuck. Once that is done he will pressure test the block and make sure its good to go. Hopefully it will be back to me in several months. He is a well know engine guy and has about 10 engines a head of me plus a lot of race car engines from customers that come in and pay him a lot to get their engines back quick. I'm happy with this, he really likes the flatty and seems to be anxious to get going on it.

Also found a paint guy that has recently started up his own restoration shop, only works on older cars and does good work. He will be stopping by this week to look at my cab and front end.
I see a factory relief job on that block! Must be a military issue?

Old 03-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
GB good catch on the relief. Ive read about that being the thing to do. The engine builder though mentioned that was standard in 47? and that would save me $$ working on this eng and not the 42. Im not too educated on these engines so maybe ill look into that.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:30 AM
40fordmarmon6x6
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great to see you've got it off in one piece. Was there anything left of the seal? I think that the flange seal would be fine with silicone or is there another seal at the pinion?

Old 03-11-2016, 05:37 AM
40fordmarmon6x6
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wonder if 65 years ago when the rear end was put together that square seal used to be an o ring?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
I dug a little bit of that seal and is cork! So i guess its a slice of cork that's just seated in the square groove. I am still holding out the parts from Chucks will be here today, but more than likely Monday. I got called in to work the next two nights so this weekend is looking like a loss.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM
white 66
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
rear end pics..

Thanks for sharing the photos, I need to do mine at some point, it seeps a bit but I am holding out since I plan to put a different ratio rear end in anyhow.

I dug a little bit of that seal and is cork! So i guess its a slice of cork that's just seated in the square groove. I am still holding out the parts from Chucks will be here today, but more than likely Monday. I got called in to work the next two nights so this weekend is looking like a loss.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 PM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
Well got the box today of all the kingpins, bushings, brake cylinders, shackle pins to get the frame back on the axles. I paid almost twice for this box than I did the whole truck...ugh I just have to tell myself I got a great deal on the truck to offset some of these high prices on parts. Some of the parts are NOS in old boxes which I thought was cool. The shims in the kingpin set are pretty much crushed but I think they will be ok. Was kinda disappointed in the brake master cylinder being made in China and costing what it did. Also it did not come with the metal rod plunger, is this common not to have that? The original one is all corroded and I'm not wanting to use it. We hopefully I will get a couple of days in the shop this week to get re focused and start some progress.

As for the gasket on the axle I've pulled out the cork ring. I think ill just use a RTV type sealant on that. Only got a Seal for the front cover on the pinion

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Well got the box today of all the kingpins, bushings, brake cylinders, shackle pins to get the frame back on the axles. I paid almost twice for this box than I did the whole truck...ugh I just have to tell myself I got a great deal on the truck to offset some of these high prices on parts. Some of the parts are NOS in old boxes which I thought was cool. The shims in the kingpin set are pretty much crushed but I think they will be ok. Was kinda disappointed in the brake master cylinder being made in China and costing what it did. Also it did not come with the metal rod plunger, is this common not to have that? The original one is all corroded and I'm not wanting to use it. We hopefully I will get a couple of days in the shop this week to get re focused and start some progress.

As for the gasket on the axle I've pulled out the cork ring. I think ill just use a RTV type sealant on that. Only got a Seal for the front cover on the pinion

I feel your pain on the parts. I'm in exactly the same boat here.....But I'm an addict. "There's a hole in Daddy's truck where all the money goes"....

Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I feel your pain on the parts. I'm in exactly the same boat here.....But I'm an addict. "There's a hole in Daddy's truck where all the money goes"....
Wow GB, that has to be one of the best, and most depressing, songs ever written. Amazing reference, but I hope we aren't that bad...

Old 03-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
[]A little busy with my business last week so not too much on the truck done, had a little time today so I rolled the 42 into the shop to start removing some of the donor parts. Removed the front right spring and replaced it with the broken one from the 47' also removed both shackles from the rear springs. The 47 were pretty worn out of round. The 42 are much better.

Also pulled the head light and turn signal rings. One of the turn signals in kinds smashed so Ill see about finding another. Ill blast these and send them out to chrome. Also will try to get the three door heater out and re due that. The 42 has an old AM radio installed, dial next to heater ***** and a big old power pack looking thing on the firewall above the pedals. I don't plan on resurrecting that, just kinda cool to look at. Also pulled the rear view mirror. The 47 does not have one and the tank will block the rear view but its pretty neat.

Attached Images     
Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
... I don't plan on resurrecting that, just kinda cool to look at...
Awww now, come on & do it. Nuthin' cooler than flipin' on an antique radio in vintage metal. They're pretty stone age simple.

Great thread. Been following.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 AM
newold46
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Awww now, come on & do it. Nuthin' cooler than flipin' on an antique radio in vintage metal. They're pretty stone age simple.

Great thread. Been following.
I second this. The only thing cooler than an old truck is an old truck with a radio! Any guitar amp shop or radio repair place could handle it if it's too far gone. Yes it will sound "tinny" but that will be half of the fun.

Quick Reply: 42/47 Water Hauling Truck