1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

2150 Feedback carb conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 05:55 AM
Timehunter
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2150 Feedback carb conversion

I have an 85 f150 XLT Lariat 302 carbed with California high altitude emissions
also with the AOD.
Looking at same trucks in the junkyards over the years, I have never seen one with as much garbage on the top of the engine as mine!
I have moved and live out in the sticks and am in a county with no tail pipe emissions...cooool!!!
I have had my truck about 25 or so years and am currently doing the Duraspark 2 conversion.
Am making my own wiring harness and besides having a little trouble hooking up the tach , my main problem is distributor vacuum advance.
I have an extra carb for my truck . Same type called for on my truck.
E5TEYA.
I don't have all the money in all the world so I am trying to rebuild and modify my extra carb.
After doing research I find that the vacuum advance for the distributor is on the passenger side right behind the front mounting ear .
It has a blocked off hole that is around 3/16", or 1/4".
Does anyone know what size drill I need to use to finish drilling to get through to the venturie?
I drilled a 1/16" hole and hope it is not too big.....or too small.
I am also going to take off the feedback solenoid on the rear and block it off and do the modification on the block off plate.
It has the 1.08 on the side of the carb.
Besides what size drill to use,..can anyone think of any other mods that I need to do to the carb?

Old 12-20-2015, 07:13 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I wouldn't be taking the approach you are taking. Given what David has found with his truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-9l-300-a.html) I would scour the salvages for a carb like his. Or, better yet, buy a rebuilt one. There's just no way you can turn your pig's ear into a silk purse. That's an emissions-era carb and it is designed to work with all of that "stuff" you are taking off of the engine. Without that "stuff" it isn't going to meter correctly, and removing the stepper motor and tapping it for vacuum isn't going to come close to fixing that.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 AM
roadrash63
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes get a earlier carburetor without all the emissions crap on it. Make sure you get the correct size venturi its marked on the driver's side.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:07 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If you decide to replace your carburetor, and you have an AOD transmission, make sure you read this thread first:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...th-an-aod.html

Old 12-20-2015, 12:14 PM
Timehunter
Mountain Pass
C'mon now......
I like the documentation on that thread,....but......
Let's compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.
I have a V8 and he has a 6 and I am assuming a totally different carb.
A 2150 is a 2150.
Some are set up differently, but...basically the same.
Need some positive vibes here.
As quoted...."Quit making with the negative waves man!" ... :-)
Facts...I need been there , done "exactly" that.
And I do thank you for the reply.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Timehunter
Mountain Pass
Yep, I know all about the AOD stuff.
That's why in all the years of owning and keeping emissions working, etc...I have not
changed carbs......yet.....

Old 12-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I think what Oddball said was "Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?" And, by the way, I was standing in line to board a plane in Munich recently and the people ahead of me were talking about that movie. As it is one of my all-time favorites I got involved in the conversation, and it turned out one of the guys was from the little town in France where the bank was supposed to be.

Anyway, somehow I missed that you have the 302 and not the 300 six. Sorry. But, there were differences in 2150's. You can get one to be jetted correctly if you know what you are doing and have an AFR meter. But, yours came jetted for having EGR, so if you are taking that off then your jetting will be off. And then there are the air bleeds that can't be changed. So, while it is a 2150 it is not the same as the earlier 2150's prior to the emissions requirements.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:03 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I think Fonzie is only trying to say you need to get it hooked up correctly else you can cause real (and expensive) problems with an AOD transmission.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Timehunter
C'mon now......
I like the documentation on that thread,....but......
A 2150 is a 2150.
Some are set up differently, but...basically the same.
Wrong. The throttle linkages are totally different. Do you think I went through all of that trouble to write that because I had nothing better to do with my time?

If you get a Motorcraft 2150 that is set up for a C6, the AOD TV rod will fit the throttle linkage perfectly....but you will DESTROY your AOD because the geometry is incorrect.

The correct 2150 carburetor will have a different style of throttle linkage for the AOD TV rod to connect to. All of the correct Motorcraft 2150 carburetors that will work with an AOD TV rod (1980 - 1985) will be emissions carburetors.

If you decide to get an earlier non-emissions Autolite 2100, the [automatic transmission] linkage is designed for the C4 and C6 kickdown rod. You would need to transfer the throttle linkage assembly from your stock carburetor to the replacement carburetor. If you don't do that, your AOD is TOAST.

Capiche?

Originally Posted by ctubutis
I think Fonzie is only trying to say you need to get it hooked up correctly else you can cause real (and expensive) problems with an AOD transmission.
Thanks, Chief. It's Timehunter's AOD funeral, not mine.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Timehunter
Mountain Pass
That is really interesting stuff on "oddball"!
I was wondering if anyone would catch that.....
Now....
Since I had that extra carb...I was hoping that there was some way to convert it......
I have already pulled the cat converter off.
Still running single exhaust.
Kept the motor stock...
Bout finished with the DS2 swap.
So.....
If I can't modify mine to run correctly......
What year carb should I go for???
Should I go to a 2100?

Old 12-20-2015, 03:44 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Although mine is an 84 302 with stripped emissions (testing not required in Ohio 1990 and previous), I used a rebuilt 2150 from National Carburetor at $189.00, and I chose to install a manual choke (OCD control issues,lol). I do not have the AOD so that might be something to pay attention to in your case but in my searches for the rebuilt Motorcraft 2150, i found no difference for AOD or without. As far as the DSII is concerned, I went with a HEI distributor as it is less maintenance while still having tach capability. I do not have a factory FoMoCo instrument cluster tach but i did put in a column mounted Sun Mini tach (OCD again).

Old 12-20-2015, 04:54 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
I do not have the AOD so that might be something to pay attention to in your case but in my searches for the rebuilt Motorcraft 2150, i found no difference for AOD or without.
That means you didn't look hard enough in your searches. There IS a difference! The throttle linkages are different, like I said before.

I just checked RockAuto, and they list two models for a 1985 F150: model C8192A; Automatic trans w/ Overdrive, the other is model C8193A; Automatic trans w/o Overdrive. 1984 models produced similar results.

The carburetor in your picture has the C4/C6 automatic kickdown linkage. The kickdown rod is attached to it. If you check RockAuto or the link I posted above, you will see that the linkage looks totally different for the AOD (w/ Overdrive) models.

It doesn't matter if you are using a manual transmission.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:12 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Assuming does two things...you know the rest. I searched for the best priced and reputable sources for a month, and again, Mine is an 84 C6 as stated.
Wow....
Ya'll are hair triggered. I thought this was a forum with the premise of the proper exchange of ideas.

I'm not drinkin' the Kool-Aid.

Capiche ??

Old 12-20-2015, 05:24 PM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by WhatsAChevy?
Assuming does two things...you know the rest. I searched for the best priced and reputable sources for a month, and again, Mine is an 84 C6 as stated.
Wow....
Ya'll are hair triggered. I thought this was a forum with the premise of the proper exchange of ideas.

I'm not drinkin' the Kool-Aid.

Capiche ??
Who is assuming what?

I saw where you wrote that you have a 1984 with a C6 the first time. Your picture even shows as much. But then you contradicted what I was telling Timehunter about his truck that has an AOD.

He said "...a 2150 is a 2150." I told him NO, there is a difference. And if he didn't get the correct one, his AOD will pay the price. Then, you came along and confirmed to him that you "... found no difference [in carburetors] for AOD or without." When in fact, there IS a difference.

You have the correct carburetor for your C6. But that is NOT the correct carburetor for an AOD. If Timehunter gets the same carburetor YOU have, his TV rod will hook right up to it, but he will ruin his AOD. When I say "ruin", I mean it will need a complete rebuild. That will cost at least $1000.00.

Do you understand that?

Old 12-20-2015, 09:54 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Fonzie is just doing his best to help make sure Timehunter understands about the specialized care & feeding of an AOD transmission, that's all.

I can appreciate that, there have been threads here throughout the years where people have destroyed their transmissions because of this very error, it's sad to see.

But looking at how these forums work, the OP is free to take whatever advice he wants to go with... and people sometimes follow the wrong advice and it costs them... Fonzie is just trying to help the OP avoid a disastrous mistake - no KoolAidŽ involved.

Quick Reply: 2150 Feedback carb conversion