North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Spring Fling

Old 12-18-2015, 01:20 PM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Official NCFTE Spring Fling

Josh and I are cooking up a spring gathering at Uwharrie this April.

For those that don't know:
National Forests in North Carolina - Uwharrie National Forest

There are several camp options. Tony, we can accommodate your RV if you let us know in time. We have generators if we stay where they don't have hook-ups. Or we can find an rv friendly campground and all stay there. (in your camper of course. it sleeps 19 right? )

This is just to kick off the idea, to get folks interested and to start the planning.

There are truck, quad, and bike trails. Fishing. Sight seeing. Canoeing. Seagrove is close for the potters. Some shopping not too far away. Lakes, creeks, rivers.

Josh said he was trailering his monster jeep and can take folks on trail rides. Maybe we can talk Larry into bringing up his big ford. Bob should have his blue precious up and running and ready to rip the trails. I'll have a dirt bike folks can ride if they want. I'm sure someone has a quad they could bring.

Bring an appetite. We'll have cookers, smokers and campfires. If everyone brings some dishes we can put together one big meal then hodge podge the rest of the weekend.

Initial plan is to reserve a campsite for Friday and Saturday nights and try to fit in as much fun as possible. That way some folks can come for the day, one night or two nights. We're thinking late April.

Who is in?

Ideas, suggestions, comments?

Start looking at your calendars and let's pin a date down and start working on the details.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:59 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds good, I've never been to uwharrie, not gonna take the F250 down any trails, but I'll ride with someone if I get a chance.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:08 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That sounds like it could be a sweet weekend. Would be nice if I could come up with a trailer to take Ka'Bluey out there.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:23 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can see if I could get the old turd ready to creep around trails. I plan on making some changes on it soon. One being a alternator so that I can make it to where it would actually run longer. I currently run 2 batteries and no alternator, I also am not sure if the fan I have would keep it cool enough to creep around all day.

Old 12-19-2015, 06:47 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Larry, why would you not have an alternator

Old 12-20-2015, 07:41 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Because I ran 2 deep cycle batteries in the bed. It literally runs less than 15 or 20 mins at a time while racing.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I asked.
But myself I like an alternator and not having to charge batteries. But I'm sure there's a method to the madness.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 77mud
I can see if I could get the old turd ready to creep around trails. I plan on making some changes on it soon. One being a alternator so that I can make it to where it would actually run longer. I currently run 2 batteries and no alternator, I also am not sure if the fan I have would keep it cool enough to creep around all day.
I seem to remember there is one Mud hole around there.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
sounds good, I've never been to uwharrie, not gonna take the F250 down any trails, but I'll ride with someone if I get a chance.
I agree. I don't recommend the harder trails for daily driver rigs. They won't make it. The easier trails are not kind to the full size trucks either. Being careful you could probably go without a scratch.

I also think we should open this up to the rest of the east coast chapters. The group campsite has a capacity of 50 people I believe. This is also a 'friends and family' event.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:55 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ubereal2
I asked.
But myself I like an alternator and not having to charge batteries. But I'm sure there's a method to the madness.
Well turning 6k rpm, being covered in mud, batteries in the bed so I'd have to re do the wiring and everything. When I did the first 460 swap I cut all factory wiring out since I run a msd instead of a leaky brain box.

It's about to get a 1 wire 3g 160 amp alternator and 1 new battery. That battery will most likely still be in the bed though so I got to figure out the wiring since I use a shut off switch on the tailgate.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
I agree. I don't recommend the harder trails for daily driver rigs. They won't make it. The easier trails are not kind to the full size trucks either. Being careful you could probably go without a scratch.

I also think we should open this up to the rest of the east coast chapters. The group campsite has a capacity of 50 people I believe. This is also a 'friends and family' event.
Are all the trails mostly rocks and so on? I've never been either. The only set of tires I have are boggers for the truck and I'm not putting those on tocks.

Also that hole is to much water for me. Give me 3 or 4' of mud anyday, but if it's 2' of water I'll pass.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:08 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Are all the trails mostly rocks and so on? I've never been either. The only set of tires I have are boggers for the truck and I'm not putting those on tocks.

Also that hole is to much water for me. Give me 3 or 4' of mud anyday, but if it's 2' of water I'll pass.
Mostly just dirt trails. There are some rocky areas, but not much mud that I remember. Then I usually avoid mud. Otherwise I end up standing out with a pressure washer on the jeep for an entire day afterward, and still find it on the ground next time it rains.

I did crack my bell housing on a rock out there one time. But the 'Monster Jeep' isn't that big of a monster. I believe it's only on 33's if I remember correctly. You'll probably not want the boggers though. There were some rocks. I remember there being trails around the tougher parts. But back then my Jeep was my DD and trail rig. This time I hope it's going and coming back on a trailer.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:09 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Yea the boggers won't go on rocks or trails. I may could scroung up some TSLs. Or even 2 for the rear since I have 2 35s for the front. I'll have to see what happens I guess.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Hopefully I can come up with a trailer to use, and some better tires on Ka'Bluey Sure sounds like it could be a good time.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well turning 6k rpm, being covered in mud, batteries in the bed so I'd have to re do the wiring and everything. When I did the first 460 swap I cut all factory wiring out since I run a msd instead of a leaky brain box.

It's about to get a 1 wire 3g 160 amp alternator and 1 new battery. That battery will most likely still be in the bed though so I got to figure out the wiring since I use a shut off switch on the tailgate.
A 3g is stupid easy to wire up, replaced the 100 amp 1g on mine with a 130 amp 3g. Need a charge cable and and 1 wire to run it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Spring Fling