Sponsored by:

7.3l IDI in a 96 Manual F350

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:08 AM
tonybluegoat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3l IDI in a 96 Manual F350

I thought it would be fun to introduce my Frankentruck. I'm a prepper so I want an EMP proof truck (or as close as I can get). I had a 92 F250 with a 7.3l IDI in it. I got a 96 F350 manual with a flatbed from my neighbor and I combined them.

I now have a 96' F350 flatbed truck with a manual ZF4 SD47 transmission connected to a 7.3l IDI engine. It's a hellofa truck. I'm pretty sure it would pull an oak right out of the ground.

Why this combination? No computers or electronic controls, so EMP proof(ish). Technically it still has fuel pumps in the fuel tanks, but the engine has a manual fuel pump on it. So I could switch to a direct feed if I wanted. And the coils in the starter are susceptible. But it's a fun project.

Since it's non-turbo I can easily convert it to veg oil, homemade bio-diesel, etc. I didn't do the work myself. I had a shade tree mechanic I know do it for me for $700.

How did the swap go? It took about a month. The main hurdles were:

1. The transmission flywheel wasn't the same size for the dual mass, so I had to get an aftermarket flywheel and clutch plate. $400.

2. The fuel lines are on opposite sides, so the fuel lines had to be extended and re-routed.

3. The starter on the 96 wouldn't work with the 92 and the 92 starter wouldn't SLIDE INTO THE SPACE for the Manual Transmission starter. So we had to disassemble the starter and install it one piece at a time.

4. The wiring harnesses where a flat out mess. I don't think my guy was a super electronics guy. He replaced the 96 harness with the 92 harness and there are still things that don't work. We added a starter button because the key wouldn't kick the starter. The speedometer on the 92 came from the transmission, the 96 manual comes from the rear end. So the speedometer doesn't work, or the odometer. The tack is insane. The other gauges work. The cruise obviously doesn't.

It was a fun project. This is a farm truck, so I'm not looking for perfection. And I live in the country where everyone knows everyone. So any of these issues that might cause an inspection problem are no problem. When I brought my truck to get it inspected he just looks at the tires and lights. I forgot my insurance card, but I know the guy so he said, "I'm sure you have it." If I lived in Dallas I think they wouldn't inspect it... but what do I know?

The 96 had been sitting in a field since 2007. Still has the original rear "MUDDER" tires. Everything works great - amazingly enough. I did have to put a new steering damper shock on the front for $33. I'm sure I'll eventually replace all the bushing, but it's driving great! I took it 100 miles yesterday.

At some point I'll put a veg oil heater and use a tank for veg oil on this truck. I'm also converting an old gas car to run on homemade alcohol. Again, preppers gotta prep.

Thanks,