Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 F-250 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:15 PM
tlrfshr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 F-250 Questions

I recently came across a 1990 Ford F-250 with a 7.3 IDI non-turbo diesel motor. The truck is in excellent shape as far as the body / exterior and interior. It does need a new windshield, steering columns, and batteries. The truck ran a few months ago before the batteries died.

This truck is a 2wd rather than a 4wd. I haven't bought the truck yet but the lady is only asking $1000 and it's been barn kept it's entire life. Before I buy it, I had a few questions.

As far as lifts / suspension upgrades, what is out there? Doesn't seem like there is much for a 1990 2wd. If there is, can someone point me in the right direction?

Engine Performance, what can be upgraded and are there any upgrades that should be done?

Are there any specific things I should look for before buying this truck?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-16-2015, 02:39 PM
snowdog79
Laughing Gas
A turbo will really wake up the motor, used kits can be had for as little as $500. The IDI motors will build as much power as your wallet can take. I'm sure someone will chime in on lifts for the 2wd, I have no idea what exists.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
300hp is about the limit on an IDI unless you want to spend 10k+ and have it blow up shortly there after

What would you use the truck for? Do you go off road?(AT ALL) if so, a 2wd diesel is NOT for you. With all the engine weight up front and the torque it produces it will EASLIY get stuck

Why are the batteries dead? They should hold a charge for over a year

Also, you do not say your location. If anywhere near road salt this trucks ROT QUICK

Old 12-16-2015, 09:47 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
300hp is about the limit on an IDI unless you want to spend 10k+ and have it blow up shortly there after
Come on now.

To the OP, to avoid this kind of talk continuing I encourage you to do your own research on idi performance. The last 3-4 years have seen a huge surge of people making these motors run well. Personally I love my idi, simplicity and reasonable towing power(I'm still n/a).

Old 12-16-2015, 11:14 PM
tlrfshr
New User
The truck has been in North Carolina since it was bought so I don't believe rust will be an issue but I'll need to check it over.

I don't go off-road much but I do occasionally when hunting season is in but don't drive through much mud.

Upon doing some more research I was able to find some companies doing performance builds and selling parts for the IDI series motors so that's a plus.

The last thing I need to find is a lift of some sort and suspension parts for this truck. I'd like to replace the bushings with stuff from energy suspension if they make anything for the 1990 F-250.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:21 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What would you use the truck for? Do you go off road?(AT ALL) if so, a 2wd diesel is NOT for you. With all the engine weight up front and the torque it produces it will EASLIY get stuck

Why are the batteries dead? They should hold a charge for over a year

Also, you do not say your location. If anywhere near road salt this trucks ROT QUICK
So pessimistic, having a bad day Brad?

tlrfshr, welcome to FTE, I dig IDIs, pop on over to the IDI section you'll see plenty of stuff for IDI performance. Read the threads by RacinNdrummin Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As far as lift goes how tall, if not to tall then pretty sure all you need up front is new springs and an alignment. I don't have details but I know longer springs are available. Rear is easy, just a block.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:25 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
PLEASE. show me ONE thread that has a 300+ HP IDI lasting more than a year

Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM
tlrfshr
New User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
So pessimistic, having a bad day Brad?

tlrfshr, welcome to FTE, I dig IDIs, pop on over to the IDI section you'll see plenty of stuff for IDI performance. Read the threads by RacinNdrummin Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As far as lift goes how tall, if not to tall then pretty sure all you need up front is new springs and an alignment. I don't have details but I know longer springs are available. Rear is easy, just a block.
Awesome! I checked out all of his threads and found his website which helped me quite a bit. It seems that there are parts out there for this truck and I think it will be a good investment for a $1000. My plan is to fix it up and get it going to be a daily driver since my other vehicle, 2001 Tahoe, is getting ready to undergo a major project.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 12-17-2015, 11:28 AM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
PLEASE. show me ONE thread that has a 300+ HP IDI lasting more than a year
If you're talking 300 crank, type4, dirtydiesel, I'm not good with names but there are plenty. 300 to the wheels is a bit different simply because of cost, instead of 3k for a good turbo and fuel, its 5+ for big pumps, intercooler, w/m, clutch, etc.

As far as reliability, we simply haven't seen somebody build a motor to last. The last two Justin has put together basically to see how it will fail. Hairyboxnoogle is building one right now that will be plenty stout.

I don't really care what you think about the idi, you don't own one, and its perfectly fine. But your attitude is simply annoying, you don't see me going on to threads asking about 7.3PS and saying "anything past putting a chip on it won't hold" or "past 400hp you better pull the motor and drop 3k on rods." There just isn't a place for it on a forum that is meant to help people.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by PlumCrazy7
If you're talking 300 crank, type4, dirtydiesel, I'm not good with names but there are plenty. 300 to the wheels is a bit different simply because of cost, instead of 3k for a good turbo and fuel, its 5+ for big pumps, intercooler, w/m, clutch, etc.

As far as reliability, we simply haven't seen somebody build a motor to last. The last two Justin has put together basically to see how it will fail. Hairyboxnoogle is building one right now that will be plenty stout.

I don't really care what you think about the idi, you don't own one, and its perfectly fine. But your attitude is simply annoying, you don't see me going on to threads asking about 7.3PS and saying "anything past putting a chip on it won't hold" or "past 400hp you better pull the motor and drop 3k on rods." There just isn't a place for it on a forum that is meant to help people.

300 to the tires.(or 350 to the crank) how ever you want to look at it

I had that in my 97 power stoke with Nothing more than a chip, intake and exhaust. I also ran the snot out of it towing, drag racing and truck pulling and not one problem. And IDI is NOT capable of that

As for me not owning an IDI? HA, I have had several and still currently own one. I cant wait to rip it out and replace it with a real engine.

You should check you facts before running your mouth

Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
You should check you facts before running your mouth
honestly you are not worth researching, there is a "checked" fact. I find it rather laughable that you would put money in a 7.3 (an engine that almost everyone in the performance game scoffs at, like you are to me) but totally and absolutely disregard anything that has to do with an idi.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
honestly you are not worth researching, there is a "checked" fact. I find it rather laughable that you would put money in a 7.3 (an engine that almost everyone in the performance game scoffs at, like you are to me) but totally and absolutely disregard anything that has to do with an idi.
I never said a 7.3 power stroke was some performance machine(like you claim I did)

I am just give FACTS. And the FACT is the IDI platform plateaus out at about 250 RELIABLE HP

While the 7.3 PSD is good to about 450-500 before dumping serious coin at it

So.please, keep bashing away

Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM
PlumCrazy7
Laughing Gas
While the 7.3 PSD is good to about 450-500 before dumping serious coin at it

So.please, keep bashing away
We both know who started a derogatory dialogue. If you could be civil to those of us who don't share your beliefs, there would be a civil response.

Obviously it's easier to get a motor with a turbo to 300hp. However it definitely doesnt take 10k for an idi. But if it takes $10+k to get 500 hp out of a PSD and 10+k to get 500hp out of an idi, is it really worth slamming the idi at every turn?

Old 12-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
We both know who started a derogatory dialogue. If you could be civil to those of us who don't share your beliefs, there would be a civil response.

Obviously it's easier to get a motor with a turbo to 300hp. However it definitely doesnt take 10k for an idi. But if it takes $10+k to get 500 hp out of a PSD and 10+k to get 500hp out of an idi, is it really worth slamming the idi at every turn?
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING about?!?!?

I just was giving FACTS

like the IDI is good till about 250hp(at the tires)

The 7.3 PSD is good to 450-500

YEs, a turbo does make it easier to get to 300hp and that is just about the limit on the IDI(like I said in the 1st post)

And it does NOT take 10k to get to 500 on a PSD..
Injectors 1500
turbo 2000
fuel system 1000
exhaust/and intake 500
That is 5k, NOT 10k

Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Well that escalated quickly."

Quick Reply: 1990 F-250 Questions