North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Winter 2015/2016 General BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Now its colder here. 25 here while the beach is 29.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:45 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Sounds like you gave her a pretty good Valentines day Larry! I didn't spend near that much, but I did enough to cover my butt
I put the money down and gave her the payment

Old 02-14-2016, 08:25 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
And, you got rid of that Chebby
I honestly don't know anybody that has/had an Equinox that really liked the thing, and didn't keep it vary long.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:29 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
That was the biggest thing, I didn't like it from day 1, just wasnt a big man friendly car. It was hers and I didn't ride in it that often so I let her pick what she wanted. That thing had a new issue every 3 months, it needed a oil change, at minimum 2 tires for the time , a battery, a egr valve and it had a stabilatrak issue that caused the traction control not to work. So at minimum a $1000 but likely closer to $1500. All that after I just dropped $800 in a fuel pump replacement about 2-3 months ago, and a new throttle body about 3 months before that.

We test drove the '12 which is a 3.5 v6 we bought and a '14 that was a 4cly. Honestly the '12 rode and drove much better, and tons more power. The fuel mileage rating wasn't really any different either. Then the '14 was white and I don't care for a white vehicle.

We also considered a 2011+ explorer, but the price difference was like $8k.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:00 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
You feel exactly the same I feel about my wife's 08 Escape, the only vehicle we've ever bought brand new.
I didn't like it the day we bought it, and that hasn't changed one bit. I don't mind the way it looks, but it stops there. I'm not comfortable in it, with my size, and the lack of size to it. I don't like the way it drives, everyting, and I mean EVERYTHING, that touch's the cloth upholstery stains, it. Water will leave a mark, have some water stains to prove it. I don't like the way it rides, road noise is unbelievable. No I wouldn't make a good spokes person for that thing.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:37 PM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy anniversary Marty. 34 huh? You must be doing something right.

Hard to beat a new car for a present Larry. No experience with the equinox but we've got two kia cousins. One Hyundai currently has 178k and still chugging along.

Last Tuesday I was gearing up in the parking lot to ride home. A coworker leaving asked if I would be cold on the ride home. I said I had proper gear and would be fine and jokingly added "as long as it doesn't start snowing." Well guess what. It started snowing. Snowed for about half the commute. Enough to start piling up on my visor and bike. Roads were fine the whole way and no problems. Winter riding will keep you on your toes.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:43 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the congrats! You folks be careful out there especially those of you who travel on two wheels. I'm ready for summer myself.

Be Good!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:46 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Happy anniversary Marty!

My grandparents would of celebrated there 55th the beginning of the month.

You feel exactly the same I feel about my wife's 08 Escape, the only vehicle we've ever bought brand new.
I didn't like it the day we bought it, and that hasn't changed one bit. I don't mind the way it looks, but it stops there. I'm not comfortable in it, with my size, and the lack of size to it. I don't like the way it drives, everyting, and I mean EVERYTHING, that touch's the cloth upholstery stains, it. Water will leave a mark, have some water stains to prove it. I don't like the way it rides, road noise is unbelievable. No I wouldn't make a good spokes person for that thing.
Exactly!! I felt like I had more room in the old 03 kia spectra I drove for a bit honestly. We drove a couple escapes then we ended up going with the equinox. The escapes were the same story though, a 08 and a 09 we drove. The equinox drove better and had less noise but the escape was slightly more comfortable to me, but it was the wife's so she got the final say.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:50 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ncheavymetal
Happy anniversary Marty. 34 huh? You must be doing something right.

Hard to beat a new car for a present Larry. No experience with the equinox but we've got two kia cousins. One Hyundai currently has 178k and still chugging along.

Last Tuesday I was gearing up in the parking lot to ride home. A coworker leaving asked if I would be cold on the ride home. I said I had proper gear and would be fine and jokingly added "as long as it doesn't start snowing." Well guess what. It started snowing. Snowed for about half the commute. Enough to start piling up on my visor and bike. Roads were fine the whole way and no problems. Winter riding will keep you on your toes.
Yea the little spectra I had was at 220k when I got it, and 24xk when I sold it, I beat the crap out if it! For the money the kia won out, also got them to throw in a 3yr/36k mile bumper to bumper warranty with towing.

Riding when it is snowing is absolutely no fun for sure, did that once last year. Had about a half inch on the ground by the time I made it home.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey John, there are some left over gaskets in there. And I still have the box.
You looking for anything?
I got a box full of leftover carb parts myself

Old 02-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hope everyone stayed safe this morning. The ice here looks like it could cause a lot of havoc. I'm bout to head out to check it all out and grab a bite to eat.

I also just pulled the trigger on a new heat pump system, so I'll be waiting for that to get scheduled up. The tax return didn't even put a dent into the cost of it. Looks like any new toys are going to have to wait till next year. But I've got the bug now to get an ATV, just trying to hold off before i go out and buy a piece of junk, which I'll probably end up doing anyway.

Again.. stay safe...

Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I finally got that carb back on Ka'Bluey. Naturally it toom some cranking but fired up with no fuel leaks, and even ran pretty decent. Now I need to find a long straight screwdriver and adjust the jets.
Since he was idling, I switched off that battery disconnect switch that I have wired until I get that short fixed, and he died on me
I'm hoping it's due to a wire gremlin but I have a bad feeling he needs an alternator too now, since the fuel leak is fixed
But before I go replacing things I don't have the money for I'm looking for some good wiring diagrams, with pictures of what color wire goes where, ya know, Redneck diagram

Y'all be safe

Old 02-16-2016, 07:52 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I finally got that carb back on Ka'Bluey. Naturally it toom some cranking but fired up with no fuel leaks, and even ran pretty decent. Now I need to find a long straight screwdriver and adjust the jets.
Since he was idling, I switched off that battery disconnect switch that I have wired until I get that short fixed, and he died on me
I'm hoping it's due to a wire gremlin but I have a bad feeling he needs an alternator too now, since the fuel leak is fixed
But before I go replacing things I don't have the money for I'm looking for some good wiring diagrams, with pictures of what color wire goes where, ya know, Redneck diagram

Y'all be safe
probe the charging stud to see how much voltage its putting out. If its under 14, there is your problem. if that's good, take it in to any parts store to have them check it. if It tests bad, I think johnnys electric in garner charges $30 for brushes and $60 for brushes and bearings. voltage regulator was like $25 for my old 1G setup before I converted it.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:28 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I couldn't find the link on the main FTE page for the free beer mug, if anybody can show me that I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile here is the link for car guy garage free tee-shirt. Upload a pic of your garage or workshop and they send you a free tee-shirt.

Car Guy Garage: Vote on the Top 100 Car Guy Garage Photos

Old 02-17-2016, 04:17 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Bob if you end up needing a alternator I'd suggest a 1 wire 3g swap. They're very easy to wire up.

Quick Reply: Winter 2015/2016 General BS Thread