2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2007 thru 2014 Expedition & Navigator Auto Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 12:35 AM
star-art
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since this system has very expensive parts, you should get a factory service manual for your year and do a proper diagnosis. The hall-effect sensors are integral to the motor assembly as far as I know. A module controls the deployment. The system is supposed to reverse if it detects an obstacle. If it's malfunctioning, there's diagnostic info in the factory service manual (FSM).

Old 02-05-2020, 09:07 AM
NAVIGATOR2011
New User
2011 Navigator running Boards

Originally Posted by star-art
Since this system has very expensive parts, you should get a factory service manual for your year and do a proper diagnosis. The hall-effect sensors are integral to the motor assembly as far as I know. A module controls the deployment. The system is supposed to reverse if it detects an obstacle. If it's malfunctioning, there's diagnostic info in the factory service manual (FSM).
Will do , Thanks for your input, are you familiar with the module and its location? I was also under the impression that the sensor was part of the motor and as previously stated ,the motor and bracket/hinge is new , all plugs connected apples for apples. We have suddenly had a bevy of electrical issues, window motor , rear air bag suspension and AC actuators front and back , all failing about the same time , despite the miles , the truck has been well maintained by us since new and appears in great condition . Think it is just at that age that things start to fail all at once . Maybe she is getting back for us looking at new cars back in December. As fate would have ,last night after work I got under it again , looking for any impingement, in the opening and closing, or something out of square and nothing obvious, the running board did the same thing , all the way out upon opening , then all the way back up upon closing the door , then right back out again , I gave up went inside ,the wife ran the little one somewhere , came back and it was closed in it's proper position.

Old 02-05-2020, 04:40 PM
star-art
New User
Sounds like an issue with the module. That is located at the base of the "B" pillar just behind the driver's seat. But, again, it needs to be diagnosed to be sure. Hope that helps!

PS You're lucky to have air ride as that makes a HUGE difference in ride smoothness. Be sure to check out Arnott Industries for affordable replacement parts.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:00 PM
NAVIGATOR2011
New User
Originally Posted by star-art
Sounds like an issue with the module. That is located at the base of the "B" pillar just behind the driver's seat. But, again, it needs to be diagnosed to be sure. Hope that helps!

PS You're lucky to have air ride as that makes a HUGE difference in ride smoothness. Be sure to check out Arnott Industries for affordable replacement parts.
Agreed,That was out of my abilities, o I had my local Mechanic replace the rear air bags, i had taken it to my local tire store , as my regular mechanic was behind , but they tried to sell me everything under the sun for an enormous amount of money , then tried to get me to retrofit it to shocks and springs with a kit to fool the sensors. I quickley picked it up , bounced it to my local honest mechanic(God Bless Him) and waited for him to replace the bags . All is good with that now.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:01 PM
NAVIGATOR2011
New User
Oh , sorry , Thank You for your time and Help.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Bcharris246
New User
Follow-up

I am having same problem you had removing pin. Did you ever figure out how to get removed?

thanks!

brian

Originally Posted by aawallcover
I have one question JD. I recently snapped the Driver's rear bracket. I finally found the bracket after much research and I am in the process of removing the old bracket out. I have a Navigator L which is 131" and the power running board has a shaft that connects the front bracket and motor to the rear bracket.
I am not very mechanically inclined, and I hit a bump on the process. There is a pin that connects to the shaft and as of right now I am unable to remove pin without breaking it. Any ideas as to how to go about removing this pin? I am attaching the picture of the pin on both sides. Any help with this will be greatly appreciate it.
I posted on your Threat earlier

Old 08-14-2021, 02:40 PM
bosco35
New User
I have a 2012 expedition el, all 4 power running board brackets have cracks, has anyone put hinges on an el that are from a short wheel base and not put the torque rod on?
Would it make a difference with out the rod?

Old 08-14-2021, 05:44 PM
star-art
New User
It's possible that might work, but the boards might be slow to retract or have some difficulty going back up. The motors might not have enough torque to successfully raise them without the assistance of the connecting rods.