North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:36 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry you couldn't race Larry. Hope you get her patched up for the next one.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:32 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Matt, you could do it the way us poor boy's did it.
Get you a piece of clear tubing. Connect it to the return side coming out of the gear box, and drop it into a bucket, unless your not worried about deposits, or EPA.
You may need another pair of hands around to keep pouring clean power steering fluid into the pump, while the engine is running. You'll see the color difference in just a short while through the clear tube

Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Oh and something like a MightyVac comes in useful for a lot of things.

1. single person brake bleeding, though there are fancier units available for this.
2. testing manifold vacuum. Great for timing an old engine.
2. evacuating old fluid, use the same as the brake bleeding procedure.
3. Vacuum testing systems to find air leaks (such as pulling vacuum on an egr valve to verify it is working.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00265M9..._Ket6xbM6VC8X4
Josh, that is surprisingly similar to the unit they have pictured in the instructions! Learning that it is a useful tool to have around for a number of applications, not just a specialty tool I can use for a single purpose, I'll look into picking one up. I have heard one of the 'must have' items for any respectable garage is a vacuum guage, looks like this would cover that as well.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:42 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Matt, you could do it the way us poor boy's did it.
Get you a piece of clear tubing. Connect it to the return side coming out of the gear box, and drop it into a bucket, unless your not worried about deposits, or EPA.
You may need another pair of hands around to keep pouring clean power steering fluid into the pump, while the engine is running. You'll see the color difference in just a short while through the clear tube
So what I'm hearing is flush out the old fluid plus loose impediments, and fill with new clean fluid, not necessary to bleed new pump with vacuum?

Old 09-26-2016, 01:37 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quest4reds
So what I'm hearing is flush out the old fluid plus loose impediments, and fill with new clean fluid, not necessary to bleed new pump with vacuum?
Exactly, but without all of the big fancy words. Your flushing out everything. You'll only have new, clean fluid

Old 09-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My cousin let me borrow his vacuum pump sucker tool thing, and it was very handy. I was doing brakes on the old project truck, and when I saw how handy it was I did transmission fluid on my Nissan car and oil change on my F100. I can definitely see it being great for sucking out the power steering fluid lines, etc. He said it was like 20 bucks.

Models | LiquiVac

Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Cracker289
My cousin let me borrow his vacuum pump sucker tool thing, and it was very handy. I was doing brakes on the old project truck, and when I saw how handy it was I did transmission fluid on my Nissan car and oil change on my F100. I can definitely see it being great for sucking out the power steering fluid lines, etc. He said it was like 20 bucks.

Models | LiquiVac
Fluid evacuators are great. Though I haven't used mine in ages.

5 or 6 gallon fluid evacuator. (Vacuum pump suction device thingermajig)

Old 09-26-2016, 06:53 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Exactly, but without all of the big fancy words. Your flushing out everything. You'll only have new, clean fluid
I'm sorry, I let some of my nerd slip out.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:59 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Fluid evacuators are great. Though I haven't used mine in ages.

5 or 6 gallon fluid evacuator. (Vacuum pump suction device thingermajig)
So that's how you spell 'thingermajig'! I'm going to add this to my list of 'big fancy words' like impediments just to keep y'all on your toes.

Seriously though, would that hand pump vacuum doohickey Josh talked about earlier do pretty much the same thing minus fluid collection or am I mistaken?

Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by quest4reds
So that's how you spell 'thingermajig'! I'm going to add this to my list of 'big fancy words' like impediments just to keep y'all on your toes.

Seriously though, would that hand pump vacuum doohickey Josh talked about earlier do pretty much the same thing minus fluid collection or am I mistaken?
Yes, it has a very small resovoir that can be connected in line. It's typically used to bleed brakes. Rather than using the pedal-Master cylinder to push the fluid out. You just fill the resovoir and suck the fluid through the bleeder screw. It would also work if you put it the line in the reservoir. However, I use something like a turkey baster if I'm just cleaning out the reservoir. In fact a baster would probably be real cheap and can get it from anywhere. If you had that, I would say go ahead and do the resovoir on the PS and then the brake fluid. Wipe them both out with a clean cloth and refill ready for bleeding.

Old 09-27-2016, 10:36 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Thanks Josh. Sounds like a worthwhile tool/instrument investment.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Mighty vac are pretty cool, we use them at work when hand bailing fuel from wells. We typically get about 6 months out of them, but we use them alot. We probably get 100 gallons in that 6 months.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:27 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77mud
The Mighty vac are pretty cool, we use them at work when hand bailing fuel from wells. We typically get about 6 months out of them, but we use them alot. We probably get 100 gallons in that 6 months.
Good to hear. Sounds like for me it should last quite a long time.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:50 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely, and the fact that some of the guys at work don't respect something that isn't theirs.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by 77mud
Definitely, and the fact that some of the guys at work don't respect something that isn't theirs.
There is always one in every crowd. Which reminds me... stupid trailer blowing fuses, and Ford using fuses that you can't find any where so I had to special order them from the dealer!

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread