FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice truck

Old 08-15-2016, 08:43 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great Bob. Glad you were able to keep the tool box in the family. Does it already have a bed liner?

Old 08-15-2016, 09:46 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ncheavymetal
Looks great Bob. Glad you were able to keep the tool box in the family. Does it already have a bed liner?
Yup, a bedliner was in there already

Old 08-31-2016, 03:34 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I've got a bunch of parts that have come in the last couple days, new front coil springs, new shocks, urethane suspension bushings, tie rod boots, a new fuel line, floor pans, and more. So a question for those of you who have done this stuff before: Given the list of parts above to be installed/replaced, any words of wisdom or advice for safe and effective removal and installation?

Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 AM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by quest4reds
Ok, I've got a bunch of parts that have come in the last couple days, new front coil springs, new shocks, urethane suspension bushings, tie rod boots, a new fuel line, floor pans, and more. So a question for those of you who have done this stuff before: Given the list of parts above to be installed/replaced, any words of wisdom or advice for safe and effective removal and installation?
I'll just address the suspension parts. You follow the procedure to remove the front coil spring (this will include having you remove the shock), and once you've done that it's the perfect time to to replace bushings on the I-beam and strut rod, then when you put it all back together use the new coil spring and new shock, that way you don't duplicate any effort. I did mine last year (69 pickup upgrade with I-beams and disc brakes from a 77). The axle pivot bushings can be a bear to get out! I took some pics. Start here and scroll left:

Name:  IMG_0251_zpshwba4try.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  283.6 KB

Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
I usually take a drill to the rubber bushing, then cut or cave the old sleeve in with a chisel and a BFH, use a good bit of lube on poly bushings, they love to squeak.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Thanks fellas.

@Cracker289 I did get new axle pivot bushings so I'll do those when I do the coils and shocks. Not sure what you mean about a strut rod... Couldn't see but the one picture, am I missing something?

@Fordtruckfan89 My neighbor mentioned something similar when it comes to replacing the bushings for the leaf springs in the back, and I do love using a BFH. What type of lube do you recommend for the poly bushings?

Old 08-31-2016, 01:59 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
They should come with a thick white grease, if not search energy suspension lube and something like formula 5 should show up.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:49 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
They should come with a thick white grease, if not search energy suspension lube and something like formula 5 should show up.
Thanks again. I was at the parts store, where else would I be, and I picked up some Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Moly fortified multi purpose grease, more for future maintenance, but I'll have some to install these bushings with, don't see any thick white grease on them or in the package.

Was just talking to my neighbor and it sounds like this is going to be a fun job, and by that I mean challenging for me. Looks like we have to take just about everything apart to get the new coils and shocks in, like the radius arm for one, but I'm looking forward to learning and wrenching on it. Also putting in new axle pivot bushings, have no idea how I'm going to do that, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:23 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks fellas.

@Cracker289 I did get new axle pivot bushings so I'll do those when I do the coils and shocks. Not sure what you mean about a strut rod... Couldn't see but the one picture, am I missing something?

@Fordtruckfan89 My neighbor mentioned something similar when it comes to replacing the bushings for the leaf springs in the back, and I do love using a BFH. What type of lube do you recommend for the poly bushings?
The strut rod connects the axle to the frame near the cab, the bushings just slide off it easily. When those bushings wear out they contribute to the Ford "death wobble" because they allow the axle to move back & forth a little bit. In this picture, the strut rod is the shorter arm that is pointing towards the top of the pic.

Name:  IMG_0260_zpsr5nxdygi.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  287.5 KB

Old 08-31-2016, 06:55 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks again. I was at the parts store, where else would I be, and I picked up some Valvoline Ford-Lincoln-Mercury Moly fortified multi purpose grease, more for future maintenance, but I'll have some to install these bushings with, don't see any thick white grease on them or in the package.
I'd go online and get some, I would not use regular old grease. Depending on the type, it can mess up the poly bushings

Old 08-31-2016, 07:01 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cracker289
The strut rod connects the axle to the frame near the cab, the bushings just slide off it easily. When those bushings wear out they contribute to the Ford "death wobble" because they allow the axle to move back & forth a little bit. In this picture, the strut rod is the shorter arm that is pointing towards the top of the pic.

Ok sorry. Potato / potAto thing, I was tracking that was the Radius arm, and I do have new poly bushings to put on there. Your pic also shows one of the I-beams, I have new poly bushings for those too!

Old 08-31-2016, 07:18 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
I'd go online and get some, I would not use regular old grease. Depending on the type, it can mess up the poly bushings
Thanks! Just looked it up and I should be able to get some from my local Oreilly Auto Parts store.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Cracker289
Fleet Mechanic
Ok sorry. Potato / potAto thing, I was tracking that was the Radius arm, and I do have new poly bushings to put on there. Your pic also shows one of the I-beams, I have new poly bushings for those too!
Oh, well now that you mention it I don't know what the correct name is that Ford calls it. Strut rod is kind of a generic term. I looked up the bushing on autozone webpage and they call it "Control Arm Bushing". Whatever works!

Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cracker289
Oh, well now that you mention it I don't know what the correct name is that Ford calls it. Strut rod is kind of a generic term. I looked up the bushing on autozone webpage and they call it "Control Arm Bushing". Whatever works!
If I knew anything about this car and truck stuff, I think I would have known what you were talking about the first time. All very new to me.

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread