1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Is my truck worth fixing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 03:23 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my truck worth fixing?

Hey guys, here's what I've found out so far. I have a 1996 f250 xlt auto 2wd with 93,500 original miles. I had my covers pulled, and 5 of my injectors are running terribly. On top of that, my hpop is crapping out and I have a big fuel leak at the banjo bolt and blue lines are cracked. All in all I was quoted around 5 grand to fix everything but I'm not sure it's worth it. What's your opinion? I love the heck out of my truck but that's a pretty chunk of change. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boggin Dave

Old 12-12-2015, 04:11 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by BogginDave
Hey guys, here's what I've found out so far. I have a 1996 f250 xlt auto 2wd with 93,500 original miles. I had my covers pulled, and 5 of my injectors are running terribly. On top of that, my hpop is crapping out and I have a big fuel leak at the banjo bolt and blue lines are cracked. All in all I was quoted around 5 grand to fix everything but I'm not sure it's worth it. What's your opinion? I love the heck out of my truck but that's a pretty chunk of change. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Boggin Dave
Whoa whoa whoa, 5g's are they droping in a new engine to geez.
With our guidance you should be able to do it all your self for way way less than that, all you need is ti ask friendo

Old 12-12-2015, 04:22 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
With our guidance you should be able to do it all your self for way way less than that, all you need is ti ask friendo
Agreed. And if 5 of the injectors are bad, may be worth replacing them all so you don't have to go back in. At 93,000 I wonder what was wrong. Did you buy this truck or have you had it for all 93,000?
You can definitely do it for less then half of that if you are mechanicaly inclined enough.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:22 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Ya, with those miles it's worth fixing, just not by that guy for 5 grand. I have a hard time believing the hpop is bad with 93k on it too. Heck even the injectors shouldn't be.

Injectors 1100 ish
hpop if actually needed 400ish
fuel system 100ish

Old 12-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Kevin Kanzler
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Ya, with those miles it's worth fixing, just not by that guy for 5 grand. I have a hard time believing the hpop is bad with 93k on it too. Heck even the injectors shouldn't be.

Injectors 1100 ish
fuel system 100ish
I have a hard time believing the injectors went bad that early. Earliest on the infamous 6.0 I've done is 180 (I blame a bad ficm) so maybe the hpop caused the early failure

Old 12-12-2015, 05:36 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
IF anything is even bad. Do you have a way of checking live data. I would like to know what the icp and the ipr duty cycle is. My theory is with only 4600 miles per year and 19 yo how are the condition of the vital orings.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
I know it's expensive. Here's what the mechanic have as an estimate.

Rebuilt rosewoods- cost at 1,250.00
Rebuilt 17* terminator at 500.00
Replacing fuel lines, fuel bowl, and fuel pump- 900.00 parts and labor.
Add those up that makes 2,650.00
Then he's charging for 8 hours just to pull the injectors and hpop and put them in. Shop charge is 130.00 an hour which is the going rate where I live. Then he's replacing the uvch and glow plugs plus new relay. It definitely doesn't add up to 5k but I can't do this myself, I don't have the time, and I don't trust myself honestly. I wish I could find a better shop. I live in San Francisco bay area and the mechanics around here that I've been to suck ***.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:28 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to reflect back to your first post in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hopefully.html

You said every mechanic you took the truck to was bad. Don't think for one minute that the one that told you your injectors and HPOP are shot on a 93,000 mile truck is any better. I call BS. I honestly do not believe that all that stuff is wrong with your truck, and you are getting taken on a $5000 dollar ride.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:30 PM
2001F350dualwheel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 212 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by BogginDave
I know it's expensive. Here's what the mechanic have as an estimate.

Rebuilt rosewoods- cost at 1,250.00
Rebuilt 17* terminator at 500.00
Replacing fuel lines, fuel bowl, and fuel pump- 900.00 parts and labor.
Add those up that makes 2,650.00
Then he's charging for 8 hours just to pull the injectors and hpop and put them in. Shop charge is 130.00 an hour which is the going rate where I live. Then he's replacing the uvch and glow plugs plus new relay. It definitely doesn't add up to 5k but I can't do this myself, I don't have the time, and I don't trust myself honestly. I wish I could find a better shop. I live in San Francisco bay area and the mechanics around here that I've been to suck ***.
Seems pretty steep on labor considering once he takes off intake and valve covers everything is right there.
I'm calculating $3,690 from your amounts not 5k. the important thing is how much do you like the truck AND more important how long do you plan on keeping it. 3 years? Put 100 bucks away once a month and you got your money back in three years. 6 years? Put $50 away.
Did you try to negotiate the labor rate or the bill overall.
Hi Mechanic man
Hey Dave
Listen I would like for you to get the repair job on my truck but I can't do it for the initial quote you gave me. It's a little steep. What discounts can you do to make it financially satsfactory for both of us.
Well Dave let me see what I can do
(I usually pull out cash and price drops pretty good)

Doesn't sound like you drive the truck much with that low mileage. What was " bad" about all the mechanics you went to? Did they all diagnose the same thing?

So he's either gonna drop the price or he is not. But either way you're back to square one or got money off. Never be afraid to ask for a discount. The worse they say is no. I've never had anyone say no.

I'm driving a 2001 truck. I just did a complete paint job and fixed my AC compressor for $3800. Plan on keeping the truck for another 10-15 years. My option is to buy a used something for 25-35k or new for 56k.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:40 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2001F350dualwheel
Seems pretty steep on labor considering once he takes off intake and valve covers everything is right there.
I'm calculating $3,690 from your amounts not 5k. the important thing is how much do you like the truck AND more important how long do you plan on keeping it. 3 years? Put 100 bucks away once a month and you got your money back in three years. 6 years? Put $50 away.
Did you try to negotiate the labor rate or the bill overall.
Hi Mechanic man
Hey Dave
Listen I would like for you to get the repair job on my truck but I can't do it for the initial quote you gave me. It's a little steep. What discounts can you do to make it financially satsfactory for both of us.
Well Dave let me see what I can do
(I usually pull out cash and price drops pretty good)

So he's either gonna drop the price or he is not. But for youre back to square one or got money off. Never be afraid to ask for a discount. The worse they say us no. I've never had anyone say no.

I'm driving a 2001 truck. I just did a complete paint job and fixed my AC compressor for $3800. Plan on keeping the truck for another 10-15 years. My option is to buy a used something for 25-35k or new for 56k.
Thanks! Yea I know it's very steep. I'm going to negotiate with him, or I'll move on to another mechanic plain and simple. I plan on keeping my truck until it blows up. I've already pulled the cab and bed off, sand blasted and coated the chassis, replaced all body/frame bushings. There's zero rust on this truck. It just really runs like crap, rough idle at startup, pisses fuel like a fraternity brother at the end of a long night. Truck is very sluggish until she's really warmed up, and I mean slower than a snail (exaggerating) but you get the point. I'll take your advice and try to work out some kind of a deal. Thank you for the advice!

Old 12-12-2015, 09:44 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I need to reflect back to your first post in this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hopefully.html

You said every mechanic you took the truck to was bad. Don't think for one minute that the one that told you your injectors and HPOP are shot on a 93,000 mile truck is any better. I call BS. I honestly do not believe that all that stuff is wrong with your truck, and you are getting taken on a $5000 dollar ride.
Yea I know. Same story with the mechanics in my area. I honestly don't know who to trust, all I know is my truck is definitely not running properly. It's a bit aggravating I just want to figure it out but I also don't want to throw money at what "could" be wrong. I didn't do the work myself so I'm taking his word for it, but you're absolutely right, I think I'm getting taken for a ride.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:47 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kevin Kanzler
Agreed. And if 5 of the injectors are bad, may be worth replacing them all so you don't have to go back in. At 93,000 I wonder what was wrong. Did you buy this truck or have you had it for all 93,000?
You can definitely do it for less then half of that if you are mechanicaly inclined enough.
Honestly, I don't trust myself to fix my truck. I can lay a brick wall for you in a day, or build a chimney, but pulling my truck apart scares the living daylights out of me. I bought her almost 2 years ago with 74,000 miles on the engine. Been maintaining her like a queen. I'm going to replace the injectors with rosewoods for sure.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:50 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
IF anything is even bad. Do you have a way of checking live data. I would like to know what the icp and the ipr duty cycle is. My theory is with only 4600 miles per year and 19 yo how are the condition of the vital orings.
I'm not sure, he didn't check those out. If the o-rings are bad would that make my truck run like absolute crap? I'm not stupid, I just really need a better understanding of what might be causing this.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:54 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by 427 fordman

Injectors 1100 ish
fuel system 100ish
Ok, so let's just say for the sake of being positive that my injectors are fine, and the hpop is fine. Besides my fuel leak, what would cause my truck to romp at startup, smoke while in reverse, have surging issues (best way I can describe it), be slow until she's warmed up, and shake at idle? All these things concern me. I'm just not ready to give up on my truck but I definitely don't want to sell myself short either. If all those parts are ok, what else "could" be the issue(s)?

Old 12-12-2015, 10:00 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Dont be intimidated on working on your truck, we all started from not knowing anything like you for example you learned how to install a brick walls and what not, same concept in a vehicle.
As I mentioned earlier with our guidance you will be one with your truck and know what true love is i mean know your way around the 7.3 and wont have to deal with pesky mechanics. As for your injectors maybe the leaky fuel bowl has something to do with the injectors acting up (air in the fuel system) Just lets us know brother were here to help your in the OBS brethren now

Quick Reply: Is my truck worth fixing?