1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Fuse panel location Ideas

Old 12-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tilleyman
Ok, I'm not the smartest at electrical stuff - in fact it's my least favorite part of my rebuild. But now I'm confused.

I did the 6V to 12V conversion, and rewired everything under the dash to engine using a harness kit, but haven't done anything, or even realized I had to do something, about fuses.

Help please.
The original '52 came with 2 circuit breakers (15 amp and 30 amp) and no fuses. These probably sufficed in the original configurations.

I think most 12 volt conversions are done to support more accessories, which should be fused. I'm still 6 volt, but removed my cb's and installed a fuse panel when I rewired the truck.

I don't know (but someone on here will) if the first 12 volt trucks had fuses or still used the circuit breakers.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:45 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
tilleyman,

The original trucks did not have very much in the way of fuse protection. My 54 only had 2 thermo fuse buttons. The new lay out will have 21 circuits and fuses all set up in a nice package. There are some nice pics in this thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Tilleyman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it sounds like fuses are certainly a good thing. Where would I find a diagram converting from the circuit breakers by my gauges to a fuse panel?

Old 12-15-2015, 11:14 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
There is usually a schematic in the back of the Repair Manuel. You can also find it on line by putting you truck year and model and searching foor wiring diagrams. If you have any trouble, get back to me and I will help you fine one..

Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Well it sounds like fuses are certainly a good thing. Where would I find a diagram converting from the circuit breakers by my gauges to a fuse panel?
I got this one from ClassicCarWiring.com. I find it's easier to read than the ones in the Shop Manual and it's color coded per the original wiring color scheme. It does not include turn signals or the cigar lighter. It's 11x17 in size and is laminated so you won't get grease on it.

1951 1952 Ford Pickup Truck Wiring Diagram - ClassicCarWiring

I got my fuse panel from Amazon. I went with the 14 gang panel, but could probably just gotten the 10 gang, since I'm only using 7 of the fuses to protect all the lines that were originally protected by the circuit breakers (and I added one for turn signals).

Amazon.com: Sierra International FS40440 ATO 14 Gang Marine Fuse Block: Automotive Amazon.com: Sierra International FS40440 ATO 14 Gang Marine Fuse Block: Automotive

Amazon.com: ATO/ATC FUSE BLOCK 10 GANG: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: ATO/ATC FUSE BLOCK 10 GANG: Sports & Outdoors

Old 12-15-2015, 12:05 PM
rustybits
Freshman User
I put one in the left kick panel area and one behind the seat.

Last edited by rustybits; 12-15-2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: trying to attach photographs
Old 12-15-2015, 03:30 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 755 Likes on 369 Posts
The diagram Joe mentioned is great. But, it is the stock wiring without a fuse panel. For my 55, I couldn't find a diagram that had turn signals either.
The instrument lights are run off the headlight switch and turn signal.
Here is a diagram I have put together that includes a fuse panel and headlight relay for the lighting system. This is for a 55, so yours might be a little different. I also haven't fully tested my diagram, but I think it is pretty good.

The turn signal wire colors are what were on my truck. The new ones you buy are different colors.
I have similar diagrams for Generator circuit, ignition circuit and some other basic diagrams for lighting. Drawing them sure helped me understand the systems more.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Tilleyman
Senior User
Thanks so much. Is this website the greatest resource or what?!!

Old 12-15-2015, 05:10 PM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
that idea of puting the fuse panel on the glove box door is a great idea

Old 12-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
The diagram Joe mentioned is great. But, it is the stock wiring without a fuse panel. For my 55, I couldn't find a diagram that had turn signals either.
The instrument lights are run off the headlight switch and turn signal.
Here is a diagram I have put together that includes a fuse panel and headlight relay for the lighting system. This is for a 55, so yours might be a little different. I also haven't fully tested my diagram, but I think it is pretty good.

The turn signal wire colors are what were on my truck. The new ones you buy are different colors.
I have similar diagrams for Generator circuit, ignition circuit and some other basic diagrams for lighting. Drawing them sure helped me understand the systems more.
That's a good drawing Joe.

I used the ClassicCarWiring diagram to identify which circuits were protected by the circuit breakers, so I could use 15 amp or 30 amp fuses accordingly. On my '51, there are only 6 circuits protected directly by the cb's: the light switch (headlights, taillights and instrument lights), the stop lights through the stop light switch and the dome light. This changes if you add turn signals, as you said, but the t/s switch comes with a wiring diagram.

I fused the ignition switch, stop light switch, headlight switch and dome light with individual 30 amp fuses. (I later added a relay to the headlight circuit) I fused the taillights and the turn signals with individual 15 amp fuses. I put a 25 amp fuse on the cigar lighter (not shown on the diagram). So I only used 7 fuses in my 14 bus panel.

And I mounted my fuse panel to the firewall next to the "entry" hole for the harness from the engine bay. It's on a board with the barrier strips I used to connect everything.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:49 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I want to mount mine in the glove box area. My idea is to make it so all the fuses are easy to get to by opening the glove box door and removing a small access panel.

Now whether or not I can accomplish this is yet to be seen. I will be running a Vintage Air unit. So I'm not sure how much room I'll have left to work with. I'll find out when I get a little more of my project done.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Tilleyman
Senior User
Now the time has come for me to get serious about this. Jolly Roger Joe - what are barrier strips?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Now the time has come for me to get serious about this. Jolly Roger Joe - what are barrier strips?
They're called different things, but this is what they are.

https://www.fruugo.us/4-position-dua...FQyHaQodWn8HHg

Old 02-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Tilleyman
Senior User
What do they do? Are they necessary to have with the fuse panel?

Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM
pbsdaddy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 967 Likes on 861 Posts
If under the hood locations are what one desires, but are afraid of potential heat problems, a heat sink can look good and take care of the issue.

One of this design would work well. 513201B02500G Aavid Thermalloy | Fans, Thermal Management | DigiKey

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuse panel location Ideas