Sponsored by: Moser

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty

My basic warranty expires on February 4, 2016. I am considering an extended warranty, but the one directly from Ford seems too high. Anyone recommend someone to contact regarding the extended warranty? If Big Ken is still on here, I would like to contact him...

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-12-2015, 05:03 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Profile: BIGKEN

Ken is still active, send him a note.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:27 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The warranty is always less expensive when you buy it after its new, but it's also a product like any others and the price may vary. Many times the shops that have super cheap car prices make their profits by gouging the warranty figures. Perhaps you could call a few other shops and get pricing? It's not a fixed mark up by Ford, and a smaller shop that does less business will likely be more interested in spending the time to earn your business on the warranty.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:23 AM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would only by a warranty from the MFG. I have bought others and there is ALWAYS a delay on the repair to get approval. Then there is ALWAYS some part or supplies they don't cover. So, you pay your deductible plus shop supplies or some fluid.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 PM
MNGolfer
New User
OEM Warranty only

Originally Posted by function12
I would only by a warranty from the MFG. I have bought others and there is ALWAYS a delay on the repair to get approval. Then there is ALWAYS some part or supplies they don't cover. So, you pay your deductible plus shop supplies or some fluid.
Agree that Mfg warranty is the way to go. I bought Warranty Gold off of Edmunds and was OK till they folded and buyers were stuck. We did some of money back, but about 10% of what we paid. Since then have only purchased Mfg warranty. Paid a little more, but a whole lot less hassle.
The warranties are negotiable. We bought a Chrylser warranty from another dealer over the internet for about 2/3 of our dealer quote. Do some homework and you should be able to find a deal.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Got my 7 year 125k mile Premium Care from Ziegler Ford online. Call and ask for Bob Cline.
Get a True Factory-Backed Ford Extended Warranty and SAVE!

Do it before 32k miles and avoid a vehicle inspection. Process is simple. They even have a 6 month no interest payment option if you put half down.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Seriously thinking about the 8/150. Any oout of pocket repair could cost more than the warranty extension. I have been told that just the entertainment center in my truck would cost about $8000, not sure if that is true but is scary....... have time on mine but will give it serious consideration.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:05 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by lakedweller
Seriously thinking about the 8/150. Any oout of pocket repair could cost more than the warranty extension. I have been told that just the entertainment center in my truck would cost about $8000, not sure if that is true but is scary....... have time on mine but will give it serious consideration.
I believe that replacement of the 8" MFT screen is something like $2500 all said and done.

The wife and I decided to take the years a couple past our payments for good peace of mind. Nothing like breaking off a few $$$ when you still have a payment...if you have a payment.

Something else to consider...the Premium care covers ball joint replacement, both upper and lower. I've never owned a Ford that didn't need ball joints before 100k miles. Could be my driving style, but ball joints alone will pay for the coverage.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:12 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember, selling extended warranty is a profitable business. They bring in more money than they spend. That makes them the long term winner and you the long term loser.

Not buying extra warranty sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose, but overall you are likely to be ahead over the years. They prey on people's inability to rationalize and manage risk, and emotions never to be proven wrong if there are problems with the vehicle. Managing risk is about accepting losses now and then so that you're a winner long term. And a warranty doesn't make your vehicle any more reliable, doesn't get your vehicle fixed any faster, and doesn't reduce any of the inconvenience of breaking down. It's just a security blanket. Of course, there are the rare exceptions of terrible vehicles out there but you just can't predict those so no point trying. Just sayin'.....

The equation can change if they are throwing in free oil changes or other maintenance costs you know you would have to pay. Those are certainties, not risks, and if you can get a warranty in the process then great!

Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 AM
lakedweller
Elder User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
I believe that replacement of the 8" MFT screen is something like $2500 all said and done.

The wife and I decided to take the years a couple past our payments for good peace of mind. Nothing like breaking off a few $$$ when you still have a payment...if you have a payment.

Something else to consider...the Premium care covers ball joint replacement, both upper and lower. I've never owned a Ford that didn't need ball joints before 100k miles. Could be my driving style, but ball joints alone will pay for the coverage.

Excuse me! No I did not call ford for a price, I heard the price from someone and it would not surprise me. Sounds like it could cost $8000 after hearing what some ops are paying for their repairs. These vehicles have so many computer controlled devices, any repair could exceed the cost of ESP........

Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These vehicles have so many computer controlled devices, any repair could exceed the cost of ESP........
That's because the person selling you the warranty is also selling you the parts. The deck is stacked in their favor because they control pricing of both and have large markups on parts. All you have to do to beat the system is buy your parts somewhere else at a lower markup.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just remember, selling extended warranty is a profitable business. They bring in more money than they spend. That makes them the long term winner and you the long term loser.
Of course it's profitable, just like selling bread and bottled water. It doesn't make you a loser financially. There are several advantages to a warranty, or prepaid maintenance. It's excellent for cash flow when you have a single known monthly payment. If you have everything covered and all maintenance pre-paid the only real unknown is fuel and damage. It's also smart for tax purposes as it can count towards the purchase of the vehicle for companies.

Further, the actual cost of warranty work is less than what you pay out of warranty. So if it would be $2500 out of pocket for you to replace the entertainment, it might only be costing Ford, or the warranty company, $2000. That might be an exaggeration, but the amount saved by the warranty company can make the warranty profitable still money saving for the entire group (sorta like group-on)

Old 12-17-2015, 12:44 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Excuse me! No I did not call ford for a price, I heard the price from someone and it would not surprise me. Sounds like it could cost $8000 after hearing what some ops are paying for their repairs. These vehicles have so many computer controlled devices, any repair could exceed the cost of ESP........
I didn't mean to sound rude honest.

I was only referring to the screen itself, not the entire MFT system which I'm sure could eclipse $5k without much effort.

Anyhow, wasn't an argument, just a statement based upon some convo's locally. To me the PremiumCare was a no brainer, as like any insurance you carry, it's only useful when it's needed, otherwise it's just money out of your pocket. However, I'd rather have it, than not.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 PM
Olytlr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
That's because the person selling you the warranty is also selling you the parts. The deck is stacked in their favor because they control pricing of both and have large markups on parts. All you have to do to beat the system is buy your parts somewhere else at a lower markup.
There is a reason why you can buy an extended warranty on pretty much anything. They are betting on you not using it or not exceeding the amount you pay for it. If the cost is right I do recommend extended warranties on two things: Automobiles and any tool purchased at Harbor Freight.