What to check next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 06:54 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
would it be cheeper to do the timing componets before the engine install? All i can say is i am happy with my jasper 5.4 in my 08 and im glad i went ahead and put it in vs replacing the timing components.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:59 PM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah, it would be cheaper and faster to do it with the engine out vs installing the used motor and then doing it down the road. valve covers comes off way easier, you aren't working over the front of the truck, easier to make sure timing marks are lined up. every mechanic will tell you it's way easier to work on an engine when it's out of the truck vs in.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:28 PM
wilfreeman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at rebuilt engines from Advance, Autozone and Carquest. Those prices were around the 3500 mark + core (which I wouldn't get all of it back bc of the wrecked head) + tax + shipping = ~$4200 + install. My mechanic said he might be able to find a local engine builder that can do better. Maybe he can find another used one a little cheaper. On a happier note, I currently only use my truck to haul trash, pull my side by side and 4 wheeler and haul building materials when I have a project. That's only around 2000 miles/yr, so it SHOULD take a while before I start having trouble.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:19 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
If you're replacing the entire motor do yourself a favor and check on a Ford reman'd piece. Frankly Jasper would be my second choice, Advance etc not even in consideration.

About 2 years ago I was strongly considering another engine for the work van, Ford dealership quoted me just at $2,700 delivered to my shop, no charge to retrieve core motor when swap was complete. Same warranty but nationwide through Ford.

Just my $0.02 worth mind you.

And also wanna echo the tough luck from others----that absolutely sucks and I'm sorry to hear it happened.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 AM
wilfreeman
Junior User
Man, I would've guessed Ford would be twice as much! Never even considered calling for that reason. So what did you do, call the local dealership parts dept and ask? I could go for that price! Thanks for the tip!

I guess that's just the risk that you take - I considered the fact "as is - no warranties expressed or implied" on the auction meant I could get screwed. I rolled the dice and, as always, got screwed. My bad luck - can't blame anyone but me for bidding on it. I liked the truck and bid - now it's just gonna cost me a good bit more than planned to get it on the road.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 AM
wilfreeman
Junior User
Just got off the phone with the local Ford dealer - $6000 + $800 core + tax! That sounds like a NEW engine price to me, but he said it was a Ford re-manufactured long block.

I called another dealer and he gave me a price of $4700 + $800 + tax. Big difference there, but still out of my price range. I guess I'll have to wait and see what my mechanic can come up with. My numbers keep going up with the options - I guess I need to get back to reality and set my max @ $4500 installed price and get what I can with that, rebuilt or used.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:32 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
yeah those prices seem a bit high. although i am pretty sure my motor install was around 5500 or 6k. but hey if you look at it like i did when i did mine. You shouldnt have motor troubles for a long time. for me it was basically a brand new 08 for alot cheeper. I had my transmission serviced too at the time. So i felt and still feel like its a brand new truck.

fyi matt when the time comes i have a few small suggestions on your truck mainly in the lighting category.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM
wilfreeman
Junior User
Well, I just ordered the used engine bc my mechanic couldn't do any better on a rebuilt one - the bad core messed me up on that. Anyhow, the wrecking yard is getting me one out of a late '08 F250 (like mine, small plugs), 73,000 miles (that's what they say anyhow), 6mo warranty for $2,300 delivered. Will be delivered to the shop Mon or Tues. He knocked $100 off for paying in full up front. Then I will owe the shop $1,000 for tearing down the old one and removing/installing the replacement. I set a limit of $4500 for a rebuilt one, and I couldn't get a one installed for that so I had to go used. Hopefully it will last for me! I'm just ready to get it on the road!

So what's your idea on my lighting situation Micah? I'm def going to get rid of those ugly sealed beams as soon as my finances recover from this shock! Anything else to pretty up it's face?

Planning on adding running boards bc my wife said so (she's short, but it's a little stretch even for me to get in!). Need towing mirrors with the built in turn signals (for towing AND they look much better!). Also looking at used factory 18" wheels because I need tires anyway - might as well try to find a set with decent (better than mine) tires for cheap on Craigslist! And I will be installing my ham radio - already has a base installed in the roof with cable running in and mounting holes under the dash for the radio, so might as well!

Old 02-04-2016, 05:17 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend

not sure if these will load full sized or not. but i like the look of the xl headlight housing so i did tons of research and found these general electric night hawk led headlights. they are really bright and look great in my opinion, and also a 22in light bar fills out the hole in the bumper nicely.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:18 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
ok the pics loook small so when i get home i will load them again on here for you

Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 PM
wilfreeman
Junior User
Yeah, can't really tell anything. Maybe if the headlights were on top it would look better - I just don't like them the way they are. I was thinking maybe installing smoked headlights and installing smoke clearance lights too. Wonder if anyone has a red 250 smoked out? I'm not really into chroming them out either. Thinking maybe adding small factory flares and two toning with grey also (my brother owns a body/paint shop, so I can get that done on the cheap!).

Old 02-05-2016, 10:58 AM
im2tall33
Post Fiend

Here are a few pics. The last one is my low beams and the light bar.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:40 PM
wilfreeman
Junior User
I have to admit, it DOES look better! I'm thinking about trying the new lights from my wifes Expedition on the truck bc I really like them. They aren't smoked, but have some black in them instead of all chrome. I'm gonna look up your lights too - to get more pics and info.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:44 PM
im2tall33
Post Fiend
Robot Check Robot Check

here is the link from amazon sometimes they offer a $100 off discount

Old 02-06-2016, 09:03 AM
wilfreeman
Junior User
Wow, $200 EACH. LEDs would be cool, but I'm more than likely going to go with the $125/pr composites. Would love to see a vermilion red XL with smoked out composites and smoked clearance lights. I searched Yahoo for pics and went through a few pages of reader's rides on this forum but didn't come up with anything like I'm looking for.

Quick Reply: What to check next?